PDA

View Full Version : How many men needed to load a table saw?

Dustin Smith
11-02-2010, 9:53 PM
I got a great deal on a used Jet cabinet saw and am planning to pick it up this weekend. I have a '08 F150 with 6' bed -- but my concern is getting the saw up onto the tailgate and into the truck bed. Realistically, how many 25yr old guys will it take to load/unload this saw? According to the Jet website, the net weight is 330lbs and the gross weight is just over 400lbs. I assume net is without the cast iron wings and accys attached, and gross is with everything attached?

I'm hoping myself and a friend (a strong one) can accomplish this. Am I being to hopeful?

Dustin

Clarence Miller
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
See if you can borrow an appliance cart and/or a golf cart trailer

Logan William
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I loaded my Unisaw into the bed of my 2wd pickup with myself and the seller then got it unloaded with just myself and a bit of ingenuity. I left the motor in place but removed the cast iron top, then to unload walked it to the back of the bed then got it laid down onto some 2x4's and slid it down.

Will Overton
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I moved a 400 pound 22124 by myself, 5 years ago when I was 55. If you put some carpeting or blankets in the bed, hanging off the gate. If you tip the saw against the tailgate and lift the bottom you can slide it right in. All the weight of the cast iron is supported by the truck, not you.

I recently gave the 22124 to a neighbor and got a SawStop. Since I'm now 60, it took me and my 74 year old neighbor to move both saws.

Kids today http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/shakehead.gif

:D:D

Dustin Smith
11-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Well that makes me feel better. Good call on the furniture blankets, I actually have two of those that I picked up recently as my weekly impulse buy from Rockler.

Also, good idea on removing the cast iron top. Jet doens't list the weight of the top alone, but I imagine it's gotta be 50-75lbs by itself?

Dustin

Dave Lehnert
11-02-2010, 10:48 PM
If it were me I would not remove the top. It is shimmed/adjusted at the factory. You could remove the wings with no issues.

Logan William
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Dave makes a good point on the top, be careful if you do remove as it will add to the work needed to get the saw running again, on the Unisaw its not hard at all. I didn't worry about it because the top on the saw I bought was already loose so it needed to be aligned to the blade no matter what.

Shawn Christ
11-02-2010, 11:39 PM
If it were me I would not remove the top. It is shimmed/adjusted at the factory. You could remove the wings with no issues.

I agree with Dave, remove the wings but not the top. That's how my Grizzly 1023 was shipped. Also look for anything else that is easily removable to further reduce weight, such as the cabinet door, crank wheels, fence and rails, etc. You could probably do it yourself but why risk a back injury -- get one or two guys to help you get it into and out of your truck. To get it into your shop you could use an appliance cart or a regular dolly with a ratchet strap. Good luck!

Chip Lindley
11-03-2010, 1:30 AM
Don't Remove Anything except what protrudes from the back of your Unisaw--Magnetic starter box, blade guard support, etc. You want the back of the saw flat!
IMO, removing small parts is counter-productive and a time-waster!

Use a half sheet of plywood or OSB to back up the saw to avoid scratching up the saw or the tailgate. Two healthy guys can lift and tilt the saw up onto the tailgate of a pickup and then slide it into the bed. In lifting, you only have to find the balance point of the saw's weight before it tips into the truck bed.

Do the same in reverse to unload. Slide the saw on the backer board out the tailgate until it reaches it's balance point. Then tilt it and lower to the ground. Remember, with gravity it seems heavier going down than it was going up!

Jim Rimmer
11-03-2010, 1:12 PM
how many 25yr old guys will it take to load/unload this saw? I'm hoping myself and a friend (a strong one) can accomplish this. Am I being to hopeful?

Dustin
Well, let's see. 330 lbs/2 = 165 # per 25 year old. Possible if you are both in good shape. But then:

(2 x 25 years) x promise of beer at the end = strength of 4 25 years ods
165/4 = 41.25 #. No problem! :D ;)

Brian Myers
11-03-2010, 1:18 PM
Remove the wings or any other add ons and two people can safely lift it into a pickup bed.

Andrew Gibson
11-03-2010, 3:14 PM
If the 25 year olds hit the gym regularly and actually lift iron and not pully machines, 1 or 2. If they are gamers or emo, 5 or 6... :)

Pat Zabrocki
11-03-2010, 4:36 PM
I'm 49 and I unloaded my Grizzly cabinet saw myself, two wheeler'd it down the the hill and into the basement. Same with my 3520b lathe, so let's see 49 / 25 = 1.96 apparently it'll take two ;)

I found it was mostly about controlling the table saw, the lathe had to be lifted but a different story.

you'll be fine IMHO
cheers
Pat

I was, of course being humerous, but it occurred to me that a bunch of us are talking about unloading and a re-read tells me you need to load too. I still think 2 fit guys can do it, 3 for sure.

Kevin Womer
11-03-2010, 4:47 PM
I had 3 other guys come over to help unload a cabinet saw along with myself and we just got in each other's way, three is an ample number of people. I did not remove the top or wings and it wasn't any problem for us.

Bruce Wrenn
11-03-2010, 7:41 PM
When I bought my Uni, I loaded and unloaded it by myself. Used a dolly to get it to the tailgate, leaned top back so it was "hooked" over the tailgate, turned saw upside down and slide it forward on a piece of carpet. Reverse procedure at home. Next time I had to move it, I removed the top.

Bill Huber
11-03-2010, 8:39 PM
The way I see it you will need 28 men, 3 to hold up the saw and then 25 to move the truck under it.:D