PDA

View Full Version : Exciting CL find! (for me)

Thomas Delpizzo
11-02-2010, 9:39 PM
I was doing my usual browse through CL when I came upon a 76" Grizzly jointer with spiral cutters for $400!! :D Called up the seller, who's in PA. and he's decided to downsize. He sold off an 18" Micromark BS in the spring (missed that one!). The jointer is in excellent shape and about 5 years old. My buddy is available to pick it up in his pickup this weekend. Only problem: getting the wife's ok! :eek: Need to work on that issue this week and find a place for the jointer! It may end up in my friend's hanger for a bit until I clean out the garage!

To be continued.......

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 9:43 PM
At first I was imagining a jointer big enough to joint a six foot wide slab...:eek:

So is it 6" wide or have 76" long beds? Either way good find!

Matt Day
11-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Same here Van!

Thomas - please refer to the maximum width of the jointer, or you're going to cause a lot of neck injuries from the double takes!

Chip Lindley
11-03-2010, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a G0490 8" machine to me! $400 is a great price, even withOUT the spiral cutterhead! ENJOY!

The wife should be proud of you for your CL prowess! You just saved her several hundred dollars!

Thomas Delpizzo
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
It's an 8" machine. I've been waiting to find one as most of the ones people sell are 6". I've questioned it here, recently, and the consensus was go for the 8". It has the extra long (76") bed, 3hp and a helix cutter. It's about 5 years old, so it has the wheel adjusters instead of the levers (I think the wheels are easier to use). The machine is in excellent shape and comes with a mobile base. There is only one problem. I was going to hide the elephant at the flying club in a friend's hangar (my other project is sitting there waiting for a new windshield and for the wings and tail to be reattached) and the wife overheard me as I was on the phone (in the garage!) with my buddy who's in Vegas at a conference (to arrange pick up help):eek:. Looks like the cost of the jointer has gone up since its going to cost me another $300 for a new flat screen for the bedroom.:( (the old TV has bit the dust). And I just spent $800 today on car repairs! (where's the Pres's bailout plan when you need it?):rolleyes:

Thomas Delpizzo
11-04-2010, 7:58 PM
Oh, I forgot - here's a pic:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/2039177096.html

Justin Dreier
11-04-2010, 8:42 PM
Oh, I forgot - here's a pic:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/2039177096.html

Tell us when it's in the shop for goodness. That there is a fantastic deal that doesn't come around. It doesn't, but you did it. Congrats.

Brian Tymchak
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
It's an 8" machine. I've been waiting to find one as most of the ones people sell are 6". I've questioned it here, recently, and the consensus was go for the 8". It has the extra long (76") bed, 3hp and a helix cutter. It's about 5 years old, so it has the wheel adjusters instead of the levers (I think the wheels are easier to use). The machine is in excellent shape and comes with a mobile base.

$400 ?? Seriously?? You'd better get there today or I might beat you to it and offer him $500.. ..I'm leaving work now.. :D

Great find! Wish one would show up like that around central OH...

Thomas Delpizzo
11-05-2010, 8:15 PM
You've got one helluva drive Brian! I couldn't believe it either. I'm set to get it Sunday, as the owner will be away for a day or two. It will end up temporarily in the hangar next to my Cessna's wings and my friend's Andy's junker Cherokee 140. Fortunately Andy won't notice it, as my Cessna co-owner Tony already threw an ultralight there and Andy never noticed! (I haven't been able to build my hangar yet due to the need of some green stuff for it) I'll take a pic of it there. I'm also shopping for tv's as the jointer, as I mentioned, will cost me more due to getting the wife's ok! She'll be helping clear out the garage for it, too. I'm hoping to put the tv purchase off a month as the holiday prices will be dropping and, I need a few more dollars in the pocket!

Neil Brooks
11-05-2010, 8:24 PM
Don't even have it yet, and you _already_ suck ?

Interesting :p

Yeah. I'd want that thing. In a New York minute !

Thomas Delpizzo
11-07-2010, 9:41 PM
ok i started another post as we just got it into the garage. I need to make a 220 -230v extension chord and a 4" adapter for my shop vac and I'll have her running; I've got logs to cut!

Chris Haas
11-07-2010, 9:49 PM
Sometimes forgiveness is better than permission.

Mike Heidrick
11-07-2010, 11:13 PM
A shop vac is not a dust collector solution for a Jointer. Buy a cheap 2hp harbor freight DC if you have to. That or go back to CL and find one. I would do it soon or you will be buying a DC and a new shopvac.

Doug Carpenter
11-08-2010, 7:13 AM
Do what the gun enthusiasts do.

"Oh that.....I'm just storing that for a friend. His wife isn't as understanding as you are....darling.":p

Thomas Delpizzo
11-08-2010, 6:36 PM
Hey Mike, is that true? couldn't I use a garbage pail with a chip separator? or, how about a smaller, ie 1hp unit?

My cable has screwed up: see below as I've posted the same response 2x.

Thomas Delpizzo
11-08-2010, 6:40 PM
Do I really need a 2hp unit? can I use a 1 or 1.5 hp unit (115v) instead or a shop vac with a chip separator that you put on a garbage pail??

Thomas Delpizzo
11-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Mike, must it be 2 horse? can I use a shop vac with the chip separator on a pail? I've seen guys use festool of fein vacs in FWW or are they for lighter duty like a router table? Can I use a 1.5 or even a 1hp? I'd like to use 115v for it and I do have space issues in the garage. :confused:

Dave MacArthur
11-08-2010, 10:26 PM
congrats Thomas, sounds like a great buy!

I was going to PM you some advice, but you got the tool in hand, so I'll just post it, it might help someone else.

While I pretty much think the world of everyone here, I think it is pretty risky to find a great CL deal, then POST THE DETAILS here before you have closed the deal! Remember, there are thousands and thousands of folks browsing here, and I'd bet over 50% of them might say "the deal goes to the first guy there with cash", at least in their heads if they never had to fess up to the scoop here... I'd hate to see you lose a good deal like that. I will tell you that I shop CL every night as a fun thing, and I'd say that over 90% of all the "great deals!" I've found, SOMEONE ELSE HERE has mentioned within a day! So, it's not really "your deal", it's anyone's on the web who sees it first...

Just an entrepreneurial caution, and again, I'm glad you got it! I was worried for you from your first couple posts ;)

Julian Wong
11-09-2010, 9:30 AM
Erm... are we missing something here?

No pics... Din happen :P