PDA

View Full Version : dewalt or festool track saw

Brian Cosgrove
11-02-2010, 9:16 PM
Hi. I am in the process of saving up for a Hammer B3 slider, however, in reality, it may be 2 years before I pull the trigger. In the meantime, I am getting sick of cutting sheet goods on my unisaw, even though I have the 52" fence. I am considering getting a track saw to fill in until the B3 can be purchased. I initially was all about getting the Festool TS55 + 102" track for a total of $500 + $260 = $760, however, I have located a new, unused Dewalt with the 59" track for possibly $275.00, plus I located the 102" Dewalt track from an online retailer for $156.00, for a total of $431.00. My question is: Is the Festool really worth $319.00 more and will I regret the Dewalt, or is the Dewalt a good saw for that price? It saddens me to not get the Festool because this would be my first, but $300 saved could go toward the B3. Thanks to all who may reply

Matthew Bobek
11-02-2010, 9:22 PM
Marc Spagnuolo over at the Wood Whisperer did a pretty comprehensive review of the DeWalt track saw and I believe he compared it to the Festool. It's a video podcast and can be streamed from his site, I believe it was around February 2009. Hope this helps and good luck. Either way you win, it's a new tool!

Joe Jensen
11-02-2010, 9:30 PM
I have the Festool and It's great. That said, for almost half the price I'd go for the Dewalt.

However, now that I have a Felder Slider, I don't see myself using the Festool. Resale on Festool is amazing. Like 90% of retail on ebay. Not sure about the Dewalt. So, if you might resell that could be a consideration.

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 9:36 PM
IF it is a corded Dewalt I would not think twice and would get it. If it is the cordless version then I say it would take some thought. I picked up the cordless Dewalt when it was on sale but just bought the bare saw, my reason was I wanted to get the Festool track so if I decided to get a corded saw I would leave my options open, or use it for the other Festool track options. So far the cordless saw has met my expectations and see no reason to get the corded saw BUT if I replace it without getting a great deal on a Dewalt corded version I will get the TS55 or TS75. I hardly ever break down more than 1 or 2 sheets at a time so I have not run into issues, if I broke down multiple sheets a day or planned to stack sheets for break down I would only consider the corded saw.

Will Overton
11-02-2010, 9:37 PM
I have a Festool TS55 and a DeWalt cordless. The most important point is that I can't tell the difference in the cuts. I do have to cut just a bit slower with the cordless, but I doubt that would be an issue with a corded DeWalt.

I like the DeWalt track better because it cuts on either side. This is a convenience, particularly with longer tracks, since you don't have to swing them around to cut on the other side of a line. Also, the depth gauge on the DeWalt takes the track into account and it ain't in all that metric stuff. :)

The Festool has one option that the DeWalt [AFAIK] doesn't have. That's the parallel guide set. It allows you to make multiple cuts without measuring and also makes it easy to rip thin strips. The thin strips isn't a big deal for me but cutting a bunch of cabinet sides becomes a pleasure with this attachment.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/downl_fs_fspavl_495718_z_02a.jpg

Roger Jensen
11-02-2010, 9:37 PM
I agree on the resale value argument. I would expect the Dewalt to go for 50% or less of current value in a couple of years - you'll be competing with the same discount 'online retailers' that will drive down your resale value. Look at selling prices of Festool stuff on this and other sites. Even though your out-of-pocket is higher with Festool, your total cost of ownership may be less if you are sure you'll resell it.

Of course, if you think you'll never resell it don't worry about it. If the Dewalt review looks good then go for it.

Dustin Smith
11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm just now upgrading to a cabinet saw (this Sunday in fact), and for the last year I've been cutting up all of my sheet goods with a 50" and 104" clamping straightedge from Rockler ($30 and $52 on sale) and a corded Dewalt rotary saw ($100). The ole "measure twice and cut once" habit allows me to easily achieve accuracy of +/- 1/32" on my cuts, even across the full 8' length of a sheet. That's where I would go if I were you.

I'll admit I'm in the group of woodworkers that is annoyed by the Festool price tags/hype.

Dustin

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
My post on this topic. My Review of the corded dewalt and the TS55. Marc linked it up on his pod cast too if you want to reach it from there. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94081

Zack Teal
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
FESTOOL all the way

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2010, 10:30 PM
FESTOOL all the way

Zack, you tried the Dewalt?

Just wanted to add I would get a corded over the cordless but I am betting that $275 is the cordless correct??

Also I also own the 102" Dewalt track. I wish it were 108" or better. Just seems a couple inches short. With 96" need for the ply, I was wishing for 6" lead in and out. Festool may make a longer track. Dewalt saw can work with either track.

Brian Cosgrove
11-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the fast input. The Dewalt is actually the corded version (New, and unused, but from a private seller). I also looked at the review on the wood whisperer and think the Dewalt, for over $300 less will suit my needs well. I am not overly concerned about resale as I occasionally help others with their projects and it will be nice to have around for that.

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2010, 11:10 PM
That is a steal on the dewalt corded then. Run and get it.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 12:13 AM
That is a steal on the dewalt corded then. Run and get it.

100% agree.

Rick Markham
11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I had this same decision to make, at that price for the dewalt, I wouldn't think twice about it. When I was choosing the Festool was on special, and with the long (108") track or the Dewalt and it's (102") track the Festool ended up being cheaper :eek: So that's what I got. I'm more than pleased with my Festool and have zero complaints about it. If I had the Dewalt, I'm sure I would be just as pleased. Go get that thing while it is still super cheap!!!:cool:

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 8:44 AM
I bought a PSI Portable Panel Saw off of Amazon. It's a set of rails (the two coupled are long enough to cut 8' x' 4' sheets diagonally) and a carrage that holds your circular saw and locks into the rails. That was a bit over $100 and I got a lot of good use out of it. Later I caught a great CL deal on the Festool and grabbed it. The Festool works better and needs no aftermarket additions (I added some hardboard to the PSI rails so I had an absolute reference for the cut line). With that said, if all I wanted was to break down sheet goods (and I already had a circular saw) before taking pieces to the table saw, I'd buy the PSI PPS, a sheet of tempered hardboard, and build a cutting table out of 2x4s and a pair of cheap banquet table legs from the borg. If you want to be able to skip the table saw, go Festool. I haven't touched the DeWalt, so it may be as good as the Festool, but I bet you can't get any Festool owners to say that:D.

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 9:12 AM
so it may be as good as the Festool, but I bet you can't get any Festool owners to say that:D.

I already said that ... and own both. ;)

Paul Johnstone
11-03-2010, 9:53 AM
Make a homemade jig for straight cutting with a circular saw.. like this one..

http://www.woodworkingwomen.com/tips/startingpoints7.cfm

I have used a similiar one for about 15 years. I used a piece of aluminum for the edge of the circular saw to rest against.

I am recommending this so that you can save up for your dream table saw quicker. It seems that once you get your dream saw, the track saw will get little use.

Otherwise, I would save the money and get the Dewalt.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I am recommending this so that you can save up for your dream table saw quicker. It seems that once you get your dream saw, the track saw will get little use.

Space in my 2 car shop is the limiting factor. If it weren't for the Track Saw I wouldn't have been able to fit my Italian Sliding Combo into the scheme of things.

David Prince
11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Keep in mind that a track saw system isn't just a straight-edge and a saw. The track saw system incorporates a riving knife, ZCI edge, straight edge, clamp-free operation, anti-kickback, variable speed, dust collection, plunge-cut capability, and others.

If you want a straight edge just use a chunk of wood. If you want a track saw system, either Festool or Dewalt are good systems. I chose the Dewalt just because Festool was a bit higher priced and Festool T55 was rated a low on power and I didn't need or want to upgrade to the T75 and setting the depth takes into account the track dimension on the Dewalt. With that said, I don't have any problems with Festool otherwise.

I have a cabinet saw, but like the idea of flexibility and portability.

Erik Christensen
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have the festool and like it but admit that is on the spendy side. One thing nobody mentioned is that the festools all play together well, so your saw track can be used with their routers for dado's, sliding dovetails, etc.

If all you want is a portable panel saw then the dewalt might be the way to go - if you want to get into the whole multi-tool setup thing then the advantage goes to festool IMHO.

Paul Johnstone
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I didn't mean to imply that a tracksaw wouldn't have its advantages.
For me, the chunk of plywood works fine. I get great cuts. If I had a tracksaw, I would probably use the circular saw more often, I agree with that, just for the dust collection, if nothing else.

I use the circular saw to make an average of maybe 7 cuts in plywood per year. Everything else goes on the tablesaw. I'm not saying my way is the best way, but it's an option.

I guess the OP chose the Dewalt, and he got a nice deal on it. He should have no problem reselling it for the same price, if he wants to do that down the road.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 3:29 PM
If all you want is a portable panel saw then the dewalt might be the way to go - if you want to get into the whole multi-tool setup thing then the advantage goes to festool IMHO.

But in this case I do not think either has an advantage, if you want to take advantage of the potential myriad uses of the Festool rails, just get them, the Dewalt works fine on them, the only thing you give up is the dual side of the Dewalt, which can be a benefit, the biggest I see is two ZCIs on the track cut for different blades IF you change blades often, though most people I know just use it for plywood and thus only have one type of blade they routinely use.

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 4:13 PM
Make a homemade jig for straight cutting with a circular saw.. like this one..

http://www.woodworkingwomen.com/tips/startingpoints7.cfm

I have used a similiar one for about 15 years. I used a piece of aluminum for the edge of the circular saw to rest against.

That's a good tip on the aluminum. Saw board I built didn't stay straight for very long. Plus with the aluminum rail, you could use hard board for the base to make it lighter, more stable (from wood movement), and use up less of your blade depth.

johnny means
11-03-2010, 4:20 PM
Just a thought, Brian, but in spending several hundred dollars on a track saw you run the risk of not being prepared for the possibility of some really good deal that comes along. Not to long ago I posted a gloat on a Hammer B3 saw/shaper that I purchased for $1000. The saw was in excellent shape and the shaper had never been used. I found it on Craigslist and was able to get it even though I really didn't act on it as quickly as I usually would act on a bargain of that proportion. The seller had gotten many promising calls about the saw, but they all had to wait until their next paycheck. I was apparently the only one able to rush on over with cash in hand. In my years of collecting machines one of the things that I have learned is that most of the time it's better to wait for what I want than settle.

It's not hard to imagine a situation in which $700 is the difference between snatching up that great deal on a slider and missing out. Your mileage may vary.

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 5:08 PM
Just a thought, Brian, but in spending several hundred dollars on a track saw you run the risk of not being prepared for the possibility of some really good deal that comes along. Not to long ago I posted a gloat on a Hammer B3 saw/shaper that I purchased for $1000. The saw was in excellent shape and the shaper had never been used. I found it on Craigslist and was able to get it even though I really didn't act on it as quickly as I usually would act on a bargain of that proportion. The seller had gotten many promising calls about the saw, but they all had to wait until their next paycheck. I was apparently the only one able to rush on over with cash in hand. In my years of collecting machines one of the things that I have learned is that most of the time it's better to wait for what I want than settle.

It's not hard to imagine a situation in which $700 is the difference between snatching up that great deal on a slider and missing out. Your mileage may vary.

I am not trying to be contentious, well OK maybe I am but I am 100% not trying to be mean... By that logic you should not have bought the Hammer but kept your money and waited on a new Felder CF714 to show up for less... There will ALWAYS be better deals if you wait, but wait long enough for that deal and you will be 6 feet under with a pile of cash. :D

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 5:58 PM
I have the festool and like it but admit that is on the spendy side. One thing nobody mentioned is that the festools all play together well, so your saw track can be used with their routers for dado's, sliding dovetails, etc.

DeWalt also has a router bracket, and you don't need to buy an expensive router to use it.

"

Allows most routers to be used with TrackSaw™ tracks for perfectly straight routing along any line
Includes adaptors for use with DEWALT® and porter-cable fixed base and plunge routers

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/ATTACHMENTS/LARGE/5/DWS5031_1.jpg (http://sawmillcreek.org/#)

Van Huskey
11-03-2010, 6:31 PM
Will, do you have any idea if the Dewalt router attachment will work with the Festool track? It would "seem" since the Dewalt saw works on the Festool track the router guide would as well.

Zack Teal
11-03-2010, 6:38 PM
Zack, you tried the Dewalt?

Just wanted to add I would get a corded over the cordless but I am betting that $275 is the cordless correct??

Also I also own the 102" Dewalt track. I wish it were 108" or better. Just seems a couple inches short. With 96" need for the ply, I was wishing for 6" lead in and out. Festool may make a longer track. Dewalt saw can work with either track.

no i have not tryed the dewalt. i have used my fiends fesstool alot and love it. dewalt dose make nice stuff (i have a dewalt table saw). to be honest if i were inn ur position i would go with the dewalt because you can get it for alot cheeper but if you were just going to buy one at a store and they were comparable price i would go with the fess.

Will Overton
11-03-2010, 7:24 PM
Will, do you have any idea if the Dewalt router attachment will work with the Festool track? It would "seem" since the Dewalt saw works on the Festool track the router guide would as well.

Sorry Van, I have no idea. I may order one just to find out.

Scot Ferraro
11-03-2010, 7:52 PM

Yes -- it will fit. I own Festool and bought this attachment for use with my DeWalt 621. It did work, but you will need to add some UHMW tape on the inside of the cams to take out the slop (the Festool rail is just slightly thinner than the DeWalt, even with the cams adjusted all the way out). I ended up selling it as I bought a MicroFence and added the track attachment -- much better fit.

Scot

Van Huskey
11-04-2010, 4:43 AM
Yes -- it will fit. I own Festool and bought this attachment for use with my DeWalt 621. It did work, but you will need to add some UHMW tape on the inside of the cams to take out the slop (the Festool rail is just slightly thinner than the DeWalt, even with the cams adjusted all the way out). I ended up selling it as I bought a MicroFence and added the track attachment -- much better fit.

Scot

Thanks, food for thought!

Dave Sabo
11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
If you're going to take the saw and use it on jobsites then the festool is worth the xtra 300 bucks. If you'll use it sporadically in the shop then I'm sure the Dewalt will be just fine.

I commented on this saw a few threads ago wondering why anyone would buy it as the price I saw was very close to the Festool. At this price it's attractive.