PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy bearings for cutterhead?

Peter Quinn
11-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Well, it seems I will need to source new bearings for a 15" planer cutterhead. An old post indicates the head requires one 6205ZZ bearing and one 6204ZZ bearing. Anyone have a favorite source for quality bearings for use in cutterhead applications?

Ted Wong
11-02-2010, 8:56 PM
If you live in a major (or even not so major) metro area you should be able to find a supply house by either Google or business phone book (under bearings). Online I usually go to Applied Industrial Technologies.

Brian Myers
11-02-2010, 9:04 PM
Accurate Bearing ph. 800-323-6548 ask for Lynne atleast get NTN but I`m sure she can guide you .

Cary Falk
11-02-2010, 9:56 PM
I actually find my bearings locally at Pro Caliper Motorsports of all places.

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
All my CNC bearings were ordered from VXB.
Here are yours:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7124

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8469

Brace for it - About $6 plus shipping.

They sell nicer more expensive ones too.

Mikie

Peter Quinn
11-02-2010, 10:16 PM
All my CNC bearings were ordered from VXB.
Here are yours:

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7124

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8469

Brace for it - About $6 plus shipping.

They sell nicer more expensive ones too.

Mikie

I was looking at VXB, and that had me thinking, what quality level do I need for the planer cutterhead application? I see the same basic size bearings in price from $3 each to over $120. The OEM bearings from delta wind up being $25-35 each, but this is a company that likes to charge $53 for a $6 V belt, so them I don't trust. What quality level to you prefer Mike? I don't want to get any less than I need, but I also can't afford to spend on overkill on this one.

Mike Heidrick
11-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I am guessing you will not wear out the $6 set but even spending the $6 ea would be fine.

If I was odering I would buy the Nachi set for $12 and the cheap set for $6 as well. Just me. Make it worth my shipping dollars.

Rick Lizek
11-03-2010, 5:53 AM
Accurate Bearings, VXB, etc. Doesn't really make a difference as long as you don't buy from Delta. I would get sealed instead of shielded. Even the cheap Asian bearings are fine. For a few cents more you can buy Japanese Nachi bearings. For years I have been getting my bearings from bearingbrokersinc and pay around $1.50 for unisaw bearing. Was also aboe to buy original brand bearings for our Wadkin moulder for $75 when all other sources wanted $150.

Mike Cruz
11-03-2010, 8:43 AM
Believe it or not, Grizzly has 'em for a great price. I put them in my DJ-20 when I put the Byrd head in. Perfect fit. Runs great.

Peter Quinn
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Believe it or not, Grizzly has 'em for a great price. I put them in my DJ-20 when I put the Byrd head in. Perfect fit. Runs great.

Grizzly sells the bearings too?

Mike Cruz
11-03-2010, 12:58 PM
When I purchased the Bryd head for my 20 year old Delta DJ-20 jointer from Grizzly, they asked if I wanted bearings, too. I said, sure. They asked for the part number/code, whatever you call it, on the bearings. I called Delta to A) find out the number, and B) find out how much they wanted for them. Delta reluctantly gave me the bearing numbers, and wanted, I don't know, something like $30 plus for each of the two bearings. I called Grizzly and gave them the numbers for the two bearings... couple of bucks a piece!

Brian Myers
11-03-2010, 1:22 PM
Accurate Bearing ph. 800-323-6548 ask for Lynne atleast get NTN but I`m sure she can guide you .

NTN bearings are a step up from Nachi ( still an excellent bearing) and should be around or less than $10 each + shipping in the sizes you listed from Accurate. Put in good bearings and be done with it.

Brian

Mike Cruz
11-03-2010, 6:55 PM
Shoot! I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat when I got mine. I went with Grizzly because I didn't know where else to get them (other than Delta and my local shop...I think they are in cahoots because those guys rob ya, too). I'm not saying that you need to go with the cheapest, just that you don't have to spend 30-40 bucks on each one...

Peter Quinn
11-03-2010, 7:56 PM
When I purchased the Bryd head for my 20 year old Delta DJ-20 jointer from Grizzly, they asked if I wanted bearings, too. I said, sure. They asked for the part number/code, whatever you call it, on the bearings. I called Delta to A) find out the number, and B) find out how much they wanted for them. Delta reluctantly gave me the bearing numbers, and wanted, I don't know, something like $30 plus for each of the two bearings. I called Grizzly and gave them the numbers for the two bearings... couple of bucks a piece!

That was the ticket Mike. I emailed Grizzly, they asked for part numbers, they sent me their part numbers for ordering and added to my order no issue, grand total? $8. Delta wanted $80+ shipping. Ouch. I thank all for their suggestions and may try one of those for my next bearing need, but Grizzly made this one real convenient.