PDA

View Full Version : PLOUGH plane

Robert Culver
11-02-2010, 8:28 PM
Ok so now that a got my standard set of planes togather 4, 5 1/2, 7 and block. Now im starting to think about specialty planes. Im wondering what to get next the plough plane seems to be the one that hits home there i do mostly small cabinet work and boxes at this time.I have batted around the Idea of a router plane to but it seems that The plough would be more useful . Im not sure what to look at I think the veritis looks pretty good but was wondering how the record 44 and 43 compared is there any reason that I should drop a few hundred dollars for the new plane?thoughts?

Chris Griggs
11-02-2010, 8:45 PM
I realize this isn't what you asked but...

I'd get the router plane before the plow. With the fence it can be used as a plow plane, although it won't do quite as nice a job. In addition, the router plane can be used to tune tenons, rabbets, and dados.

I was in a similar place a few months ago, and was convinced by some folks on this forum to go with a router plane as my first specialty plane.

I got the LV large router with fence and never looked back.

Besides the word is that LV will be coming out with a large plow within about a year. Wouldn't you rather wait for that....

Orlando Gonzalez
11-02-2010, 8:53 PM
Derek Cohen has a great review of the LV Small Plow on his site.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Small%20Plow%20Plane.html

The LV was designed after the Record 044C not the 044. I sold my LV Small Plow because I have 5 vintage wooden plows, the 044, and the 043 (Derek shows the Rapier 043 which is identical) and didn't need it. However, it is very well made and if I didn't have the others I would have kept it. I just prefer the vintage stuff and wooden planes, but that is just me. You won't go wrong with the LV Small Plow if you get it.

If you choose to go the 044/043 route there are always offered on _bay
and Jim Bode has some on his site - Google Jim Bode Tools.

John Powers
11-02-2010, 8:55 PM
It may not be an easy either/or decision. Those records are mostly across the pond on ebay. They look simple and make my 45 look like a rube goldberg contraption but as I say they are not common here. The new ones look beautiful. Luckily I'm such a shoemaker I don't remotely rate a tool that expensive.

James Taglienti
11-02-2010, 9:56 PM
I have a rickety wooden plow plane with a set of irons that works pretty good. If I was going to do it over again I'd get a Stanley #45 and the box of straight cutters... you can get the combo for pretty cheap and it's more sturdy and accurate than most wooden plows.

Really any of the light plows would work, stanley and record made a dozen different ones. It's not a tough plane to get to work right.

A router plane honestly makes a miserable plow since the cutter has to be adjusted for each pass, it's tough to balance it on the edge of a board, and your width of cut is limited. Maybe if you made some kind of big auxiliary fence it would be easier, but adjusting it for each pass gets old real fast.

Mark Baldwin III
11-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a Veritas small plow plane and it is quite nice. No experience with others to compare it to though.

Paul Erickson
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Robert, I have 3 Record 044's and I would offer you one except the spare one doesn't have a blade. I will be making some, and if you are into making your own blades, or you get an 044 with all the blades, or at least all the blades you need, it will serve you well. A new set of blades from Ray Iles cost about $58.50usd shipped, and last time I talked to him, single blades are not available. Personally, I like to have separate planes set up for left and right hand use in order to deal with grain issues. That being the case, my budget will not allow for two LV plow planes, although they are very nice.So, how does that answer your question, probably not. I just wanted to let you know some of the possible hidden expenses that you might encounter. Let us know what you decide, and remember, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen!-)

Mark Dorman
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I did a lot of work with my chisels building my bench. I learned a lot about them and don't regret the work. Having said that though I now have a #45 with all the blades and Love it. Wouldn't want to be with out it; but is it necessary no. (starting to seem like it though). So budget allowing I would get a plough plane of some type but it doesn't hurt to get to know your chisels. Just my 2 cents worth. Now where did I leave that router plane!

Mark

Trevor Walsh
11-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I have to recommend the Record 044, I absolutely love mine, every time I take it out of the box I fall in love with it all over. I'd say go for one of these if you don't have giant hands as the tote is a bit on the small side. if you do small box work I might suggest the 043 model. I want one but can't yet justify it, too many more important tools. The 043 has major cool points. I got mine on eBay with everything in it for $130 and minty condition (reproduction box though, and well done at that).

Good luck show us pictures of what you get.

Zach England
11-03-2010, 1:06 AM
Record 044 is what all the cool kids have. I love mine. I think I paid about $100 for it from posting a WTB in the classifieds here, but I think I got an exceptionally good deal, especially considering it came with the original box.

Pam Niedermayer
11-03-2010, 3:08 AM
My Record 044 is a real joy to use, so much so that I went out and got an 043 to keep it company.

Pam

Rob Lee
11-03-2010, 7:34 AM
My Record 044 is a real joy to use, so much so that I went out and got an 043 to keep it company.

Pam

Yeah - I did the same with my Millers Patent plows....:eek::D:D

Cheers -

Rob

Trevor Walsh
11-03-2010, 8:12 AM

Pam

Ooo I want one, time to go searching.

Don Dorn
11-03-2010, 9:00 AM
I too got a 044 and love it. I'm sure I'd have been happy with the LV, but as others said - they are across the Atlantic which is where mine came from. I echo the others in my affection for it and it puts the groove in styles and rails in short order, and does it well.

Tri Hoang
11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I have the LV small plow and use it mostly for drawers...I think I use the router plane more often than the plow. I'd recommend getting the router plane first and wait for the large plow from LV (hint: Rob could chime in with an update).

Pam Niedermayer
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Ooo I want one, time to go searching.

Good idea to keep in mind that when I was purchasing most of my tools there were no great tool vendors providing everything like LV and LN have become. As much as I love the 044, I could have done without the UK vendors and communicating long distance before the internet became so amenable; so at a later time I most likely would have purchased the small LV version and been just as happy. I don't much use metal planes, which were available at the time. For a while, about five years ago, it seemed that I'd just get a tool after months looking on the 'bay and/or vendor by vendor and Rob would develop the same tool and sell it at half the price I paid. However, he still has no maebiki offering. :)

So, I wouldn't get so hung up on buying these old, hard-to-find versions.

Pam

Rob Lee
11-04-2010, 7:17 AM
I have the LV small plow and use it mostly for drawers...I think I use the router plane more often than the plow. I'd recommend getting the router plane first and wait for the large plow from LV (hint: Rob could chime in with an update).

Hi Tri -

OK - we're still working on it.... but can't quote a GA date, which means it at least a year away. We still have chisels ahead of it, and at least another plane.

Cheers -

Rob

Bob Jones
11-04-2010, 9:10 AM
I bought my 044 from Patrick leach with superior tool works. It was a good price for a complete plane in it's original box. I am sure he has more.

Robert Culver
11-04-2010, 7:49 PM
So I have been tossing this around in my head a bit now and Have looked at both the 044 and the 043. I seem to thin the 043 is a bit nicer at this point but I cant seem to find any for sale to get a price range on one. It would seem that the 043 is just for smaller work what are the typical blade sizes it came with and can you get a new set such as a set from ray isles. I dont mind getting new blades if the plane is funtional and will last. I havent had any question if any of the vinage tools will last any way heck they will probably still be around another 50 years from now. I think maybe a plow plane now and a router plane later on is the way I may go if I can find a good one. I can surly see how each tool has its place in the hand tool shop.

Orlando Gonzalez
11-04-2010, 9:36 PM
Robert,

Take a look at this. I paid about that much for one in the same condition but I got mine from across the pond.

http://www.jimbodetools.com/RECORD-No-043-Plow-Plane-Mint-In-Its-Original-Box-p15777.html