PDA

View Full Version : anyone use this spray gun?

Derek Voigt
11-02-2010, 8:26 PM
So I was thinking about getting a spray gun for doing some clear finish and this one seems to be good: http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

Price is right and if I ruin it, I'm not out much money!

Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks!
Derek

Clarence Miller
11-02-2010, 8:36 PM
We use them at the factory that I work at to spray contact adhesive. Their price makes them more disposable than a kremlin.

Rob Sack
11-02-2010, 9:34 PM
It looks like their top HVLP gravity feed gun. I have several in the shop. They spray extremely well, are easy to clean, and are quite durable. I have used them for both conventional lacquer and water bourne finishes. While they don't perform as well as my Sata gun or Euro gun, assuming this is their top model, they are an unbelieveable value for the money.

Matt Day
11-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I'd be curious to hear more about this gun too. For $15 - 20% I'll probably pick one up.

Homer Faucett
11-03-2010, 2:10 PM
I've used it. From what I can tell, it's very similar to the 43430 gun that sells for about $30 on sale, but with cheaper knobs and no pressure regulator (not a huge deal). The tip size that comes with it is 1.5 vs. 1.4 for the 43430, and the tip is not stainless like the 43430. I'd take the nozzle off and check the tip to make sure everything is smooth--no scratches or irregularities, as this is the important part of the sprayer, and quality control may not be as high with this model (IME). The tip on this one scratches more easily with this one than the 43430, too.

There is a great article on setting one of these guns up here: http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html .

The max PSI on the gun you're showing is stamped as being lower than on my 43430 gun, but remember that rating is when the gun is wide open with the trigger depressed. If you set it for that rating when the trigger is off, you won't be getting ideal atomization.

Good luck. I plan on trying this gun with a bigger tip and some primer to prime a truck this spring. I may spring for an Iwata LPH 400 to spray the color and clear, though. Then again, I may just cheap out and use my 43430. If you're only going to get one gun, I'd pay the extra and get the 43430, but if you're strapped for cash or want multiple guns, you might as well try this.

Derek Voigt
11-09-2010, 4:20 PM
I was looking at getting this one or the Critter sprayer (which seems a little more idiot proof... and I'm a spray idiot... )

Any opinions on which one to get?

Thanks,
Derek