PDA

View Full Version : Apple Core Number 2

Baxter Smith
11-02-2010, 8:19 PM
Cored the piece on the right yesterday. Did the one on the left today.
Had to remove about an inch from the top of what was shown in the first picture to get to reasonably solid wood.
Kind of pretty to look at.
Range in size from 15 x 5 x 7/16 to 5 x 7/8 x 1/8. Had to take the last one down a little extra to get rid of the faceplate screw holes. Didn’t cut it very smoothly so will have to sand out the rest.
You may be tired of looking at apple but figured I would post in case ........:eek:
Picked up some plastic today to wrap the edges following Robo Hippy’s advice. They are also in a paper bags for at least a week and stored in the same place as yesterdays cores that are just bagged. Some should make it!:)

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2010, 9:49 AM
Baxter, that is just some killer nice size apple. I have some apple but it's nowhere near that large...very envious here. That to me is some of purdiest wood I've seen in a while, and it's rarity in that size adds to it.

I hope they dry well for you.

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Those are nice Baxter. I haven't seen apple that big ever. Really nice looking wood.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 1:14 PM
Cored the piece on the right yesterday. Did the one on the left today.
Had to remove about an inch from the top of what was shown in the first picture to get to reasonably solid wood.
Kind of pretty to look at.
Range in size from 15 x 5 x 7/16 to 5 x 7/8 x 1/8. Had to take the last one down a little extra to get rid of the faceplate screw holes. Didn’t cut it very smoothly so will have to sand out the rest.
You may be tired of looking at apple but figured I would post in case ........:eek:
Picked up some plastic today to wrap the edges following Robo Hippy’s advice. They are also in a paper bags for at least a week and stored in the same place as yesterdays cores that are just bagged. Some should make it!:)

Baxter that is some awesome nice wood and big as well, mind you the reddish color becomes a brown, but even then it is still a very nice looking wood, best I gotten here is just over a foot in finished size, LOML has confiscated 2 of them, as she really likes the look of Apple wood.

When getting large pieces like that it is really good to be able to core the wood, I would like to be able to use the Oneway coring set at times like that.

Tired of looking at wood like that, not a change :D :D

Thanks for posting these pictures, and I do like the shape the Oneway corer did let you make ;) :eek: :)

charlie knighton
11-03-2010, 1:17 PM
very nice, keep them coming

David E Keller
11-03-2010, 4:04 PM
Very cool! I'm amazed to see any tree that big... We just don't grow many trees of any variety like that around here.:mad:

I don't think any of us get tired of looking at pretty pieces of turned wood.

charlie knighton
11-03-2010, 6:58 PM
cool........

Baxter Smith
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Baxter, that is just some killer nice size apple. I have some apple but it's nowhere near that large...very envious here. That to me is some of purdiest wood I've seen in a while, and it's rarity in that size adds to it.

I hope they dry well for you.
Thanks Tim, I am going to give it all the time it needs(hopefully) in its cool and quiet hideaway, and then some more for good measure!

Those are nice Baxter. I haven't seen apple that big ever. Really nice looking wood.
Thanks Bernie. I may never get to turn another piece like it.

Baxter that is some awesome nice wood and big as well, mind you the reddish color becomes a brown, but even then it is still a very nice looking wood, best I gotten here is just over a foot in finished size, LOML has confiscated 2 of them, as she really likes the look of Apple wood.

When getting large pieces like that it is really good to be able to core the wood, I would like to be able to use the Oneway coring set at times like that.

Tired of looking at wood like that, not a change :D :D

Thanks for posting these pictures, and I do like the shape the Oneway corer did let you make ;) :eek: :)

Thanks Leo. The irregular border between heartwood and sapwood on the bigger pieces made it fascinating to turn and to see the patterns that appeared.

Very cool! I'm amazed to see any tree that big... We just don't grow many trees of any variety like that around here.:mad:

I don't think any of us get tired of looking at pretty pieces of turned wood.
Thanks David. I feel fortunate to have gotten a piece like that to turn. I was thinking of you and others that don't have the easily available wood while I was cutting up the tree and tossing some of the smaller or slightly checked pieces in the bushes to rot. Wish I could have just waved a magic wand.

very nice, keep them coming
No more like those Charlie. Brought back 4 large pieces that I thought I could core. Did the remaing two today. Only got a 12 inch platter roughout from one and a similar size thin shallow natural edge bowl from the other. There was the remains of an old rotten limb in the middle of one and a colony of black ants right in the center of the other where I wanted to grab hold with the chuck. Every time I stopped the lathe to see how much deeper they went, the would come tumbling/crawling out. Tough little critters but no match for the 5/8 bowl gouge when bonked on the head. Can still feel them crawling on my arms and neck.:)