PDA

View Full Version : The MEGA finial!!!

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 7:12 PM
A local businessman and art collector is familiar with my woodturning efforts. He called the other evening and said he would like to commission a replacement finial for a mahogany Sheraton style display cabinet.
I met with him and later presented him with three sketches. He wanted a contrasting burl, and chose this sketch.
Steve S. thought there might be some interest in the process of doing this piece - though it is straightforward. Unfortunately, I didn't start taking pics until I was well into it.

I first turned a cylinder from mahogany between centers, with a 1" tenon. The original finial sits in a 1" hole. I grasped the tenon in the soft jaws, and turned the base cove.
Then, I cut two plugs from a BLM burl - one for the lower inset, and one smaller for the upper inset. The plugs were cut so the eyes of the burl would show on the sides vs. the top and bottom. The burl was rounded between centers, but not finish cut, and a 3/4" stub tenon was left on the end.

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 7:15 PM
The base cove has a 3/4" hole for the stub tenon left on the burl inset. The inset was glued to the base cove, and a 3/4" hole was drilled for the next mahogany piece. The mahogany section was turned between centers to rough shape.
Then glued to the burl inset.
A hole was drilled in the end to accept a stub tenon.
The upper burl inset was turned, leaving a stub tenon.

Nate Davey
11-02-2010, 7:17 PM
I am very interest in this post and a beautiful job. How did you core the blanks?

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 7:18 PM
The top mahogany section was turned.
The remaining parts were glued.
In order to get the filled grain look to match the cabinet, I thinned some Titebond wood filler with DNA, and added some Transtint dyes. Rubbed in on, let it dry and sanded it back with 400.

The entire piece was dyed using the same dyes, with a diluted mixture on the burls.

A coat of tinted shellac was applied, and then several coats of Deft lacquer.

And, the MEGA finial!!
Do you think it looks at home?
I did consider borrowing Leo's lathe and turning a hollow form to put under this thing!!:D

steven carter
11-02-2010, 7:20 PM
If only the cabinet looked as good as the finial!:D Good job with the finial, you got the color just right, and the proportions are spot on also.

Steve

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 7:24 PM
That is pretty deep, Steve!!!:D But, thanks!
I am very interest in this post and a beautiful job. How did you core the blanks?Nate, not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about the burl? If so, I made a lineal cut across the burl (it already had a flat side where it had been removed from the tree.) I then flipped it 90*, and simply bandsawed the plugs.

Baxter Smith
11-02-2010, 7:30 PM
Great job! The color is right on and the size and shape make it much more of a standout feature of the cabinet than the original!

James Roberts
11-02-2010, 7:31 PM
Well done John and a good tutorial to boot. If others see this and word gets out, you'll be up to your ears in commission work! Great job!

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2010, 7:45 PM
It's a mighty fine looking turning, John. But I hope no one tries to sneak it past the Keno brothers! Sheraton it aint!

David E Keller
11-02-2010, 7:49 PM
That's beautiful! It's a really nice addition to a lovely piece of furniture. Great job, John.

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 7:56 PM
Thanks, guys!
But I hope no one tries to sneak it past the Keno brothers! Sheraton it aint!David, I agree! One of the sketches I provided was much more "Sheraton" and more in keeping with the lines and form of the original, but with more height - a prerequisite for the owner. But, he made the call! And, the customer is ALWAYS right!;):D

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2010, 7:58 PM
John, You have really found your calling, you were wasting all that time as a lawyer when you could now be on tour all over the world turning and keeping us all in awe! The reason for this is that I recieved my new woodturners magazine and guess who was in the pages of the mag azine? Well there you were with all your treasures and the "Kenny" picture! Gee I can't wait to get your autograph!

Very nice job on the finial for the cabinet. The color matching is always the hardest thing to get right.

Great job,

Jeff

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2010, 7:59 PM
"And, the customer is ALWAYS right!"

Ummm... not always. Oh, I know they always think they are right. And it's a "rule" if you are in business. But then, I've always had an issue with rules too... Anyway, it looks great one way or the other.

James Combs
11-02-2010, 8:05 PM
A very nice job John. The burl sections resemble marble to me.

Nate Davey
11-02-2010, 8:08 PM
That is pretty deep, Steve!!!:D But, thanks!Nate, not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about the burl? If so, I made a lineal cut across the burl (it already had a flat side where it had been removed from the tree.) I then flipped it 90*, and simply bandsawed the plugs.

Thanks John, that was what I was looking for, poor articulation on my part.

Steve Vaughan
11-02-2010, 8:16 PM
John, that is very nice work! And thanks for sharing the pics on the process. You've done a great job on matching the piece.

Roger Chandler
11-02-2010, 8:22 PM
Nice job on your part John, and David D. has a point as you have acknowledged, but overall, your skill and experience in flatwork has served to allow you to have an eye for fit and proportion......

I would not have expected any less from you, having seen what you have already accomplished.......

I like the burl piece as an element in the finial.......kinda makes it special!

Alan Trout
11-02-2010, 8:35 PM
John,

That is Awesome work. Well Done!!!

Alan

Jon Lanier
11-02-2010, 8:55 PM
Well, I'm sure that just about any of the drawings would have worked. And it looks like you matched the color very well.

So, overall, in my humble opinion. Great Job.

P.S. The customer is always right when they are footing the bill. After that, they are only right if they agree with you. ;)

Michael James
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Nice job John and thanks for posting the process. Although I think you did a great job, I don't see a problem with the original. Maybe that's why lil missie leaves me at home when she goes furniture shopping, eh?:eek:
As you mentioned, cash talks - give the customer what s/he wants.

charlie knighton
11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
very nice, the business man sure is lucky you are around

gary Zimmel
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Sweet work on the mega finial John.
It looks right at home...

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Beautiful finial John. Nice shape and the color is a perfect match.

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2010, 9:41 AM
I like that the end product has a nice aged patina to it...really works for me in that application. Great tutorial.

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks, guys. This is the first time I have used tinted shellac, and I was very pleased with what it did for the overall look. I will be trying this again in the future.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 2:01 PM
Good looking finial John, but there could be better places where it fit in with the rest of it, just IMO of course, and I agree with DD on that :)