PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0490 question

michael case
11-02-2010, 6:21 PM
Magnetic switch lights: There are two buttons involved: One big Red shut OFF button and a green ON button. When the jointer is completely shut off at the breaker there are of course no lights. When the juice is on the red light is lit. To turn my jointer on you twist the red knob which is lighted and it then goes out. At this stage the jointer is armed and ready to fire if you push the green ON button. When you push the green ON button the jointer jumps into life and the green button lights up. My problem is that when its ready to fire it looks exactly like it does when its dead with the juice off. A neighbor of mine works at big shop with a huge Grizzly beast of a jointer that however has the same lighting arrangement. BUT on the shop jointer he works with he says the red light stays on when its armed. I don't know about you, but to me this makes a lot more sense than an arming switch where the lights are off and the machine looks dead when in fact it is ready to fire. Are all G0490 wired like mine?

Cary Falk
11-02-2010, 9:53 PM
My Shop Fox W1741 is wired just like that. I never really thought about it. None of my other tools have lights that tell me they are plugged in.

Anthony Whitesell
11-02-2010, 9:59 PM
Mine is like yours. 2 1/2 years old I think.

glenn bradley
11-02-2010, 11:58 PM
My problem is that when its ready to fire it looks exactly like it does when its dead with the juice off.

Mine is like yours as well. I am missing the area of concern(?).

- The red light indicates that power is present and that the tool is "locked out".
- No lights indicate that the tool has been purposely made "ready" or that no power is present; either case requires manual intervention.

If the tool is running and there is a power failure, the magnetic switch does its job when power is restored and requires a reset before the tool can be made "ready" (no lights) or "locked out" (red light) again. It seems like a case of different interpretations but, the manual makes the status indicator readings clear. I too have times when something seems to make sense to most folks but not to me :confused:. It happens. That's what that fine manual is for :D.