PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad, and the "Oh Poooo"

Greg Ketell
11-02-2010, 6:14 PM
The good: Beautiful curly maple blank from John Keeton. And what I see as a really nice shape to the outside turning. (I would like your critique though. So when I make the next one it turns out even better.)
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166157&stc=1&d=1288735673

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166161&stc=1&d=1288736479
Yes, it still needed some more sanding but the shape looks good. 9-5/8" diameter, 1-1/2" tall, 3-1/2" foot.

The bad: The inside shape didn't match the outside shape. More of a Pie-pan than a shallow bowl.
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166158&stc=1&d=1288735673

And the "oh poooo": where two shapes don't match but do meet...
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166160&stc=1&d=1288735680
I was having a tough time with the inside turning and kept "going back to smooth it out". You can tell that I was getting really light cuts with a sharp too, though. :rolleyes: (At least on the "clean-up" passes.)

One more to show off the gorgeous wood I wasted:
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166159&stc=1&d=1288735680

I've heard it said that you can't call yourself a true bowl turner until you've made a funnel. Does this count? More like a frisbee than a funnel. :p

Pete Jordan
11-02-2010, 6:22 PM
Ouch!

Too bad. It looked great!

Josh Bowman
11-02-2010, 6:22 PM
I hate it when that happens! Really nice piece though. Maybe now it's a saucer and a picture frame?

Robert McGowen
11-02-2010, 6:32 PM
Looks like it is time for a walnut bottom!

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 6:37 PM
I hate it when that happens! Really nice piece though. Maybe now it's a saucer and a picture frame?Josh, I was thinking perhaps a neat clock was a possibility!:eek:

Greg, you sure had a nice platter going there!! Kind of excites me about cutting into a piece of that stuff!

Sean Hughto
11-02-2010, 6:39 PM
Might it become a round frame for a picture or mirror?

gary Zimmel
11-02-2010, 6:48 PM
Looks like you were well on your way to a great turning....
I for one understand how things can go bad real quick.
My first HF I made last week won't hold water....

Baxter Smith
11-02-2010, 7:36 PM
Very nice shape on the outside. With ogee's, I think less is more so to speak and this one appeals to me. Too bad on the negative thickness.:eek: I call mine "shop art".:)

David E Keller
11-02-2010, 7:44 PM
Ouch! That's some nice looking wood, and I love the outside shape. I think Sean's suggestion to use it as a mirror frame is a really good idea. I'd love to see it finished out as a mirror... In fact, I may look into making one like it myself.

Ray Bell
11-02-2010, 7:50 PM
Ouch Greg, actually I am just now turning a shallow bowl from this same material, from the same source. Having made several "funnels", I am checking regularly on the depth. This is even more worrisome, because instead of a foot, I turned a recess for the chuck, so there is a shallow spot on the bottom. Anyway, It is a very nice piece of wood, and I go along with the mirror idea. That would look good.

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2010, 7:54 PM
Bummer. But why not take a 1/4" slice of walnut, sandwich it in between the two halves and re-turn it? You would still have a really nice platter with a dark accent ring. OK... that's what I'd do. but I have never been accused of not being stubborn enough or knowing when to quit!

neil mackay
11-02-2010, 8:07 PM
.............sigh! :( been there and done that. It can be a challenge to save them, good luck. Look forward to the final result .

Steve Vaughan
11-02-2010, 8:20 PM
Re-turn the outer ring and put a mirror behind it? Re-turn the middle part and make a smaller plate? Man, I feel your pain though, beautiful wood and you were just about there!

Michael James
11-02-2010, 10:25 PM
......or you could nail it to the wall right in your view at the lathe. That lesson is bought and paid for! Bummer:(

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Bummer. I turned the rest of it out and turned a picture frame out of the outside.

Tony De Masi
11-03-2010, 8:12 AM
A real bummer but I'm with Robert and David on this one. Apply some walnut either as the bottom or between the true bottom and the upper portion and return. How could it hurt to try?

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2010, 9:28 AM
Greg, if nothing else...this would be a nice piece to start experimenting with dyes. Between Steve/John and many others I suspect, you could find yourself swirling down another path. That figured wood is ideal for dyeing from what I've seen...and tried but once.

Wally Dickerman
11-03-2010, 1:02 PM
C'mon...is Oh Pooo what you really said?

All of us who have turned many bowls have made that mistake...Keep it in your shop on display as a reminder.

For such a shallow bowl you did a great job on the form.

Wally

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 1:45 PM
The good: Beautiful curly maple blank from John Keeton. And what I see as a really nice shape to the outside turning. (I would like your critique though. So when I make the next one it turns out even better.)

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=166157&stc=1&d=1288735673

/snip//snip

I've heard it said that you can't call yourself a true bowl turner until you've made a funnel. Does this count? More like a frisbee than a funnel. :p

I think I'd call myself all kinds of non-flattering things if I made a goof like this :p ;)

Greg that really sucks, even if it wasn't such specially nice wood :eek:

I thought about how you changed the contour on the inside so abrupt (looks like) could be for the tool you use, anyway you have to keep the inside curves exactly the same as the outside IF you are going this thin.

Anyway here's a pointer or two on what I probably would change, (not much different), but just a hair on the rim and the lower contour going the foot/base, and that is it JMW (just my way)

Greg Ketell
11-03-2010, 1:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Leo!

Thinning the rim would be easy. What change do you envision at the lower contour? Just smoothing out the curve a little so it doesn't go quite as "flat" before the foot?

Greg Ketell
11-03-2010, 2:00 PM
There seem to be 3 choices at this point: 1) make it into a frame, 2) hang it on the wall as a reminder, 3) repair it by cutting it apart and gluing in a layer of contrasting wood. I'm currently leaning to either #2 or #3.

For the inlay/segmenting, I personally think walnut would be too much contrast. I'm thinking something more like Koa. If I went with Koa, should I get curly koa to match the curly maple? Or go with plain grain koa as more contrast/less conflict?

I guess part of the decision is just how much work is this one little bowl worth. And $$, since I will have to purchase the inlay wood. And glue (all my glue is very old).

GK

Don Alexander
11-03-2010, 5:00 PM
i'd vote for the contrast piece between the top and bottom and i would personally lean toward a dark piece asthat would tend to make that beautiful curly maple really stand out

IMO if you get the middle strip too close to the color of the maple it will look like a mistake rather than an accent just my 2 cents :)

Jim Burr
11-03-2010, 5:46 PM
Cut it out, glue it up and let's see it ;);)

John Keeton
11-03-2010, 5:54 PM
For the inlay/segmenting, I personally think walnut would be too much contrast.Greg, God created curly maple and walnut to be together! It truly is a marriage made in heaven - my two favorite woods for furniture!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?pictureid=2915&albumid=300&dl=1266072856&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=300&pictureid=2915)
Has to be just as good for woodturning!!

Doug W Swanson
11-03-2010, 6:52 PM
Greg,

I would try to fix it. It's just too nice of a piece to just toss. Whether it's walnut, koa, or something else, I'm sure it will turn out fine.

JMO

Leo Van Der Loo
11-03-2010, 7:24 PM
thanks for the feedback, leo!

Thinning the rim would be easy. What change do you envision at the lower contour? Just smoothing out the curve a little so it doesn't go quite as "flat" before the foot?

yup .....:)

Roger Chandler
11-03-2010, 8:42 PM
Greg,

I vote for repairing it with contrasting wood. 3 Reasons, one it was a wood a friend gave you that is highly figured, two- you worked so hard and got it almost perfect, and saving it is the right thing to do, and three, you will always regret not doing it if you could have! :eek: