PDA

View Full Version : Barn wood HF!

Josh Bowman
11-02-2010, 6:04 PM
A friend of mine has a portable saw mill and is building a barn. He invited me down and gave me several okl burls and some pieces of 4x4 post.
The HF below is made from a piece of the post he gave me. It's a continuation in the study of Greek vases and urns. It's nearly on the proportion of the rule of thirds. It's about 4" tall and 3 1/2" wide piece of Oak. I concentrated on making the bottom portion more rounded and not allowing the very bottom foot to flare. I like the little detail at the mouth.
I hope you're enjoying this study as much as me. Please critique and comment.

Roger Chandler
11-02-2010, 6:07 PM
Wooo Hoooo,

Josh, that is pretty! Nice finish, and good form.........Ya' done good!

Robert McGowen
11-02-2010, 6:29 PM
Nice looking piece of wood, Josh. The finish is really well done also.

I am familiar with the rule of thirds and am not sure how 4" tall and 3.5" wide is even close to the rule of thirds, but maybe I am missing something? :confused:

Dennis Ford
11-02-2010, 6:40 PM
Very nice wood and a good form also. This is my favorite of the series so far.

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 6:44 PM
Josh, I certainly do like the wood!! Not having done any of these vase forms, my comments have little weight. But, for my two cents worth, I would prefer a softer shoulder - kind of between this one and the cherry form from the other thread. And, perhaps have it placed at the 2/3 height - appears to be a little high. I do like the rim treatment, and the side curve is improved from the others.

Michael James
11-02-2010, 6:47 PM
very nice piece, and I like the sharper shoulders. Finish is???

Baxter Smith
11-02-2010, 6:51 PM
I think its your nicest one yet. You have more of a single continuous curve from the shoulder of the vase to the bottom.

Josh Bowman
11-02-2010, 7:20 PM
very nice piece, and I like the sharper shoulders. Finish is???
Sorry, I left that little detail off....didn't I:o
Nothing special, just sanded in stages to 400 grit and buffed with the Beall system.

David E Keller
11-02-2010, 7:58 PM
I think this is probably my favorite of the forms you've posted recently. The wood is really nice, and I like the form. I like the little rim treatment... It's subtle, and I think it adds something to the piece.

It's really hard to critique forms from photos sometimes. The only thing I see(which may be an optical illusion) is that the lower curve seems to change somewhat at about the junction of the bottom and middle thirds. That's a pretty small thing that may just be the photo.

Great job!

Clarence Miller
11-02-2010, 8:38 PM
What is HF? High Figure?

Roger Chandler
11-02-2010, 8:50 PM
What is HF? High Figure?

Hollow Form

David Campbell
11-02-2010, 9:16 PM
A beautiful piece Josh and the finish is gorgeous.

Tim Rinehart
11-03-2010, 9:46 AM
Yea, the shoulder may be a bit sharp, but it has a certain balance that is quite nice and a welcome departure from other typical expected shapes, stuff of my own included. If this is typical of the forms you were studying to borrow from...all the better.

The warmth of that finish is what really catches my eye. Must be something about old barn wood and the stories it can tell.

Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
That is a beauty. Form and finish look great.