PDA

View Full Version : Byrd installed in Delta 37-315 8" jointer

Mike Ashton
11-02-2010, 4:36 PM
After installing a Byrd head in my DW735 planer in the Spring, I knew the jointer would be up next. The head came in yesterday and last night I installed it, which went well but since they can't press the bearings in ahead of time for this model I highly recommend having a few pullers on hand as well as either an arbor press or bearing heater. Anyway, everything went well putting the new head in and while everything was torn down I topped it all off by installing a link belt.

**EDIT- I had a problem after install but just found the answer, thanks to the search feature. Which is where I should have started...

Cutter head works great now! Couldn't be happier, cut quality is so smooth I hardly believe it. The machine is also so quiet when cutting, almost don't need the hearing protection (I think the Grizzly 2HP DC makes more noise).

Peter Quinn
11-02-2010, 7:49 PM
Nice Mike. i just put one on my jointer this weekend, and I'm so impressed I ordered on for my planer tonight. Cheaper than straight knives in the long run I think too.

Mike Ashton
11-03-2010, 10:30 AM
The head in my planer has planed everything from hard maple to walnut and even some hickory for not only me, but also 2 neighbors. Still on the same cutters, haven't even rotated them and the cut quality is still fantastic. I had gone through so many straight knives in the Dewalt it embarrassing I didn't do this sooner. I think you are right about being cheaper in the long run.

Prior to installing the Byrd in the Jointer I had concerns about being short on hp since this machine comes with a 1hp motor. I had been looking for a 2hp motor just in case, but I think I'm in good shape. I used to be able to trip the 15amp breaker (meter confirmed amperage), but last night I never passed 11 amps working 8" maple. Took a little bit to get the out-feed table dialed in to eliminate snipe but the results were well worth the effort.