PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh, did I just shoot myself in the foot?

Mike Cruz
11-02-2010, 3:23 PM
Ya know, I didn't even think about the fact that the PM 90 I just got such a great deal on has 1-1/2" x 8 TPI threads...:o I just looked at some quick options:

A) Keep my 1" x 8 TPI chucks and get an adapter: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA11218.html

B) Get a chuck like this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8786

C) Get a chuck like this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7820

D) Get a chuck like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000405/2375/Stronghold-Chuck-112-x-8-TPI.aspx?ss=34634708-b208-4b3c-a251-d6e0ac3cf02d

Unfortunately, OPTION D costs as much as the lathe I just got!

OPTION A is the least expensive and lets me keep all my other stuff. But, I don't know about how good adapters are.

OPTION B looks like it wouldn't be the best chuck, but it would kinda do.

OPTION C looks decent...but I really wasn't planning on having to sell all the attachments I just bought for my old lathe to buy all new...you always lose money like that. I have 2 chucks now and like the idea of multiples with different set ups. And at this price (certainly not even top of the line), I can't afford multiples.

Any ideas? What have others done? Thanks...:o

Thom Sturgill
11-02-2010, 3:47 PM
When I upgraded from a Jet 1220 ( 1"-8tpi) to a Jet 1642 (1 1/4") I had two barracuda chucks and a G3 Nova. The G3, I bought a new insert for and the barracudas I use with the PSI adapter. It works well and I also use it with my doughnut chuck. Unfortunately it is solid so I can not use it with my vacuum chucks, I had to make new ones. I would not be afraid to buy the PSI adapter, but you may want to consider getting the better griz chuck too. It is well thought of.

Roger Chandler
11-02-2010, 3:52 PM
A good quality steel adapter will be plenty good for you........I have one and am very pleased with the quality and the machining. mine runs true with no runout.

My spindle is 1-1/4" x 8 tpi, and the adapter goes to 1x8 tpi, and it is the penn state adapter, which is more robust than the one in the picture of your link, and you will need a large wrench to remove it from the spindle.

Greg Ketell
11-02-2010, 3:59 PM
I bought one of the spindle adapters from Craft Supply (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Spindle_Accessories___Spindle_ Adapter___spindle_adapter?Args=). ((I didn't know about the PSI one at the time.)) It works great and I continue to use my two talons on both the PM3520 and the Jet 1014. But over time I've also purchased a couple of strongholds sized just for the PM.

Von Bickley
11-02-2010, 4:00 PM
I would vote for Option A at this time and see if that works out for you.

Dahl Troy Perry
11-02-2010, 4:26 PM
Mike go with a quality steel adapter it will work fine I just went from a 3/4-16 to my new lathe 1-8 thread for all my chucks they hade 1 1/2-8 threads so I just made new adapters and I can use them on eather.

Mike Cruz
11-02-2010, 5:05 PM
Thanks everyone. Very useful info, and I have to say, I'm glad I got so many OPTION A supporters.:D

Roger, the adapter in the link IS a PSI adapter. Do they make more than one for my size?

Roger Chandler
11-02-2010, 6:11 PM
Thanks everyone. Very useful info, and I have to say, I'm glad I got so many OPTION A supporters.:D

Roger, the adapter in the link IS a PSI adapter. Do they make more than one for my size?

Mike,

I think that the one they list is the only one for your size spindle......but if it is machined as accurately as mine is, then you won't have problems. Mine was a pleasant surprise, as I wasn't expecting the quality that I got when I ordered the adapter. It really is a good unit, but you will need a large wrench to remove it from the spindle. [I purchased a large 15" adjustable wrench, you might need a larger one, I don't know but you can tell when you receive it]

Mike, just so you know, that picture is a generic picture, and not all the adapters look just like the one in the pic.......mine is much more substantial,.....hope that helps!

Jake Helmboldt
11-02-2010, 6:37 PM
Mike,

I think that the one they list is the only one for your size spindle......but if it is machined as accurately as mine is, then you won't have problems. Mine was a pleasant surprise, as I wasn't expecting the quality that I got when I ordered the adapter. It really is a good unit, but you will need a large wrench to remove it from the spindle. [I purchased a large 15" adjustable wrench, you might need a larger one, I don't know but you can tell when you receive it]

+1

They use a generic picture and the actual adaptor, like Roger said, is much more robust. I was amazed at how big and well machined it was with no runout.

Dennis Ford
11-02-2010, 6:37 PM
I have an adapter from Penn state and like it (mine is 1-1/4 8tpi to 1" 8tpi). This is a good choice to use accessories on both lathes.
I also have the "option C" chuck, it is a pretty good chuck (if you need another chuck).

Mike Cruz
11-02-2010, 6:40 PM
Well, seems like a plan. It is in my "cart" as we speak...

Mike Cruz
11-02-2010, 6:45 PM
Good to know, Dennis. IF I end up getting another chuck, it will probably be that one. It just seems like it would be a lot easier if everything is one size.

On that note, for those with adapters, can you still use the morse taper accessories with the adapter on, or do you have to take the adapter off?

James Combs
11-02-2010, 8:34 PM
Good to know, Dennis. IF I end up getting another chuck, it will probably be that one. It just seems like it would be a lot easier if everything is one size.

On that note, for those with adapters, can you still use the morse taper accessories with the adapter on, or do you have to take the adapter off?

I can only speak from my experience and my answer is no, not with the typical standard adapters mentioned above. However, adapters are available with the MT2 taper built in and a through hole for using vacuum chucks. They are about three 2-1/2 to 3 times the price of the typical adapters though. The typical adapters (in my experience) do not have through holes.

Mike Cruz
11-03-2010, 7:08 AM
Jams, just out of curiousity, where can you get the ones with the taper inside?

Dale Miner
11-03-2010, 7:20 AM
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCBARR4.html

Bill Bolen
11-03-2010, 3:07 PM
option C
I have several of these in the 1 1/4X8 size and have found them to be every bit as good as the vicMarc they were cloned from. I find myself reaching for them more often than my nova sn2. I believe Bernie has a half dozen and has good things to say about them also...Bill...

dave harris
11-03-2010, 4:22 PM
i have chuck "C" from your list and i simply love it. it does a great job, i think, but then again i am a newbie novice at this