PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Recommendations

Matt Meiser
11-02-2010, 3:02 PM
My 3rd grade daughter has taken an interest in photography. She has a very inexpensive digital camera a couple of her uncles bought her probably 3 or 4 years ago. She's done a reasonably good job of taking care of it but its starting to give her some problems, plus it is slooooooowwwwww. We are talking about getting her a new one for Christmas. I'd like to keep it in the low $100 range. I've been watching ads and looking up reviews but every one I've looked up has at least a few great reviews and at least a few horrible reviews. One will say the picture quality is great and the next that its horrible. One says well made and another got 5 DOAs. It seems about impossible to judge. And with models constantly changing its difficult to look at past recommendations.

Another option I've considered is getting us a new camera and giving her our Canon which has been a great camera, but practically an antique at 2 years old :rolleyes: But of course that involves spending even more money. And I have no idea what I'd get us.

Chuck Wintle
11-02-2010, 4:05 PM
My 3rd grade daughter has taken an interest in photography. She has a very inexpensive digital camera a couple of her uncles bought her probably 3 or 4 years ago. She's done a reasonably good job of taking care of it but its starting to give her some problems, plus it is slooooooowwwwww. We are talking about getting her a new one for Christmas. I'd like to keep it in the low $100 range. I've been watching ads and looking up reviews but every one I've looked up has at least a few great reviews and at least a few horrible reviews. One will say the picture quality is great and the next that its horrible. One says well made and another got 5 DOAs. It seems about impossible to judge. And with models constantly changing its difficult to look at past recommendations.

Another option I've considered is getting us a new camera and giving her our Canon which has been a great camera, but practically an antique at 2 years old :rolleyes: But of course that involves spending even more money. And I have no idea what I'd get us.

I like canon cameras and these are usually well reviewed on most websites. i bought a 10megapixel last year but want to buy a better one that has a good lens on it. This is where the extra cost comes in.

Jeff Monson
11-02-2010, 5:05 PM

We went down that road recently, I read review after review...cameras have to be one of the most reviewed items out there. Nice thing the information is out there...just what to believe. We went with a Lumix DMC-ZR3K, it got great reviews and we have had great luck with it.
It fits my wifes style the best, easy to use, GREAT battery life and the photo quality is nice also. The Lumix is made by panasonic and has a Leica lens, we paid 259.00 for it.

Brian Kent
11-02-2010, 5:52 PM
Here is my favorite camera website:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

On the left-hand side the is a link called "Find the Best Camera for You". This is an excellent tool for getting the features you want and weighing priorities.

Then when you find their recommendations you can check out image quality under "Compare Image Samples", find your top 2 or 3 and start shopping (on other websites) for the best deal.

Brian

Matt Meiser
11-02-2010, 6:45 PM
LOML is open to the 2nd option. She asked if that meant "bigger" which I said maybe and she was still open to it so I guess I need to research both.

Dave Gaul
11-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Matt, another good place for info is www.kenrockwell.com (http://www.kenrockwell.com)

LOML loves her Nikon D40 for the serious stuff, and I have a Canon Elph for the simpler pics, like for shop & project pics!! The kids get to use the Canon...

IMHO, if you go DSLR, get Nikon, if you want PAS, go Canon...

Matt Meiser
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm liking the Canon SX30 IS which has a HUGE zoom range. Kind of sits between a DSLR and a PAS. Looks like it makes a pretty decent video camera too. I like the flip out screen for that purpose.

The Canon we have is an SX110 IS which is now replaced by the SX130 IS which also seems to be a good deal if we want to go cheaper/more compact.

Dave Gaul
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
That looks like one heck of a camera!!

My only thing is at that price, you can get a DSLR and a kit lense and get started in the DSLR world, in the end it will cost you more by adding lenses that you'll want, but versatility is endless... just depends on what you are after...

The Canon SX30 IS seems like a great choice if you don't want to get into changing and buying lenses...

Steve Peterson
11-03-2010, 1:08 PM
The prices have come down so much that there are many 12-14M pixel point-and-shoot cameras in the $150-200 range. I would give my daughter the old one and get a new one for myself.

Steve

Sean Troy
11-03-2010, 1:29 PM
Don't be fooled or mislead by the megapixil verbage. You are not going to notice any difference over 8 mp on a point and shoot. Unless your using a DSLR with good lens, don't worry about the MP.

Matt Meiser
11-03-2010, 2:13 PM
Well, I really like that SX30--except that it takes a proprietary battery. Anyone have one of the Canon's that take the NB-7L battery? Is it anything to worry about? Obviously we'd need a spare but any other concerns--like that it runs down before you can get the spare recharged? We've got the 15 minute rechargeable lithium AA's right now that that works great. When we got our current camera I chose it over Panasonic we were also looking at for exactly this reason.

Dave, I've looked a little at DSLRs but it seems like by the time we buy an additional lens to get similar functionality we spend quite a bit more. I know that the optics are probably better too, but from the reviews it sounds like they are pretty good on the Canon.

Myk Rian
11-03-2010, 3:32 PM
My Niece, who is a professional photog claims that anything over 5megpixel, in a small camera does nothing for quality, no matter what lens the manufacturer sticks in it.

What we did was buy a Canon Vixia HG20 HiDef video cam with built in 60g hard drive.
It takes excellent videos, as well as pictures. It is our main camera now.
Although pricey at $600 it was worth it to us.
We bought it at B&H photo. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ as it is not available in stores.

Before that we had a 3mp Kodak, that also took video. Kodak set the standards for digital formats, and that camera served us very well.

For a budding photog, look at the DSLR cameras as mentioned above, for yourself, and allow her to use it at times.

Steve Griffin
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Brian,

I want to personally thank you for that website link. The "find the camera for you" is fantastic. I just used it to hone in on some choices for a camera for my folks.

-Steve

Matt Meiser
11-04-2010, 9:01 AM
I went ahead and ordered the SX30 IS from Amazon last night. Should actually be here today according to the email I got. I bought an extra genuine Canon battery, but might also give a knockoff a try. At some point I need to shell out the big bucks for a 16GB fast SD card for video camera usage once I figure out just how fast we need. I'm guessing the $30 ones aren't fast enough, but am hoping I don't need the $85 one!

Dave Gaul
11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Dave, I've looked a little at DSLRs but it seems like by the time we buy an additional lens to get similar functionality we spend quite a bit more. I know that the optics are probably better too, but from the reviews it sounds like they are pretty good on the Canon.

Yes, the optics would be better, and more versatile with DSLR, but as you and I already stated, the expense is much higher.

I see you ordered the Canon, I don't think you'll be unhappy at all! I love my Canon Elph, very simple for my needs. Anytime I have the Nikon D40 in my hands, I constantly play with settings more than taking pics (LOML has that all figured out though!)!

Dan Hintz
11-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I have an Elph (or should I say had, as I gave it to my wife when I picked up a EOS T2i)... great camera, pretty rugged, and still takes shots as good as the day I bought it (6 years ago?).

Bob Turkovich
11-05-2010, 4:23 PM
Matt,

I have a Canon Rebel XT w/ upgraded IS lenses (but not the high cost professional glass). My DIL has the same set-up and has taken outstanding pictures. 2 1/2 years ago my daughter took it to college (she's an art major and a dSLR was required for her photography class). I bought an S5IS for my needs. (It was the predecessor, two times removed, to the camera you just bought). Guess which camera she uses now for most of her art class needs? :rolleyes:

The only limitations were the zoom range (35mm - 350mm SLR equivalent) and lack of a real time battery meter (It took 4 AA's). It had better close-up capability than the dSLR. The video capability was as good as most entry consumer level video cameras at the time. I paid about $330.

You should be delighted with your purchase. BTW, may I recommend going to PhotoBert.com and buy a laminated one-page - double-sided cheat sheet for your camera (I checked - it's $10.95 and will fold nicely to fit in your camera bag.) I have one for each camera and it makes the manuals near useless.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2010, 5:09 PM
It came yesterday and in quick playing around I'm pretty impressed. The zoom is awesome. Standing on one side of our decent-sized kitchen I could get the whole other side of the room about 14' away. Zoomed all the way (optical+digital) I could fill the frame with a Keurig K-cups's lid. And the quality even with the digital zoom was very good.

The video seemed good too with better sound quality than our very expensive Sony digital camcorder from 2002.

Dan Hintz
11-05-2010, 8:48 PM
Don't mess with digital zoom on the camera.. you're requiring the camera to do something that can be done with PhotoShop, not to mention the sensor may not be optimized to give you a proper zoom. Zoom in as far as you can using the optics... if you see "digital zoom" or similar in the viewfinder, back off.

Brian Kent
11-05-2010, 9:45 PM
Brian,

I want to personally thank you for that website link. The "find the camera for you" is fantastic. I just used it to hone in on some choices for a camera for my folks.

-Steve

Thanks Steve. That's great.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I normally don't use digital zoom. Canon doesn't go to digital unless you stop and restart the zoom when you hit it. I was just messing around with it.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-05-2010, 10:48 PM
I went ahead and ordered the SX30 IS from Amazon last night. Should actually be here today according to the email I got. I bought an extra genuine Canon battery, but might also give a knockoff a try. At some point I need to shell out the big bucks for a 16GB fast SD card for video camera usage once I figure out just how fast we need. I'm guessing the $30 ones aren't fast enough, but am hoping I don't need the $85 one!

This appears to be a pretty nice camera. The fact that it can shoot in full manual mode is a great asset, especially in a class!