PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Saw what to do?

Matt Jutte
11-02-2010, 1:26 PM
Looking for advice on what saw I should replace my General Contractor saw with! Really getting ready to kick it to the curb- Seems like every time I move anything the trunnion is out of alignment (even after PALS). Looking to cabinet saws to hopefully solve this!
The Question is where to look? Which manufacurer has the best all around saw for the price. I know that General has a new cabinet saw coming this month but I am not sure on a new design out of the gate- Also looked at Grizzly but the mid models look to be made in Taiwan. I would love a PM 66 or an old Delta Uni but those are far & few between.

Any advice from the Table Saw gods?

Cary Falk
11-02-2010, 1:46 PM
Most of the new cabinet saws will be made in Tiawain except for the new Uni and General(not General Intl.)The new saws will have riving knives and better dust collection. I don't think I have heard any bad press against any of the cabinet saws from Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Steel City,Powermatic, SawStop,or General Intl. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I had a old Delta Unisaw and traded it for a new Grizzly G1023RL with the riving knife and dust shroud. I don't feel I have a lesser quality saw. It is a new design. The G0690/691 has been out for a couple years now and gets great reviews also. What is your budget?

Matt Jutte
11-02-2010, 2:07 PM
If i can get decent money out of the Contractor saw - somewhere in the $1500 range.

Jim Rimmer
11-02-2010, 2:17 PM
Not sure about your budget but thought I would add my 2 cents. I bought a Grizzly G0661. I think it would be considered a hybrid. Not really a cabinet saw but doesn't have the motor hanging out the back. It's a lot less $$ than the $1500 you hope to sell you existing saw for. Just looked at Grizz's website - it's on sale right now for $795 plus $94 freight. I have had mine for about a year and have no alignment issues. It was pretty much good to go right out of the box.

Rod Sheridan
11-02-2010, 2:24 PM
Looking for advice on what saw I should replace my General Contractor saw with! Really getting ready to kick it to the curb- Seems like every time I move anything the trunnion is out of alignment (even after PALS). Looking to cabinet saws to hopefully solve this!
The Question is where to look? Which manufacurer has the best all around saw for the price. I know that General has a new cabinet saw coming this month but I am not sure on a new design out of the gate- Also looked at Grizzly but the mid models look to be made in Taiwan. I would love a PM 66 or an old Delta Uni but those are far & few between.

Any advice from the Table Saw gods?

Matt, General don't make a contractor saw, only cabinet saws. I haven't heard of a new cabinet saw coming out, maybe I haven't been paying attention.

The present 10" cabinet saw model 650 is a good machine, I owned one for years before replacing it with a Hammer B3 Winner. It's a good piece of traditional made in North America wood working machinery.

That said, I wouldn't buy another cabinet or contractor saw after owning a small Euro slider, different universe, well worth the money.

For the price of a cabinet saw, look at the Felder USA site, I think they're having a great sale on the K3 saw.

Regards, Rod.

scott spencer
11-02-2010, 3:53 PM
I would add Shop Fox to your list of saws to consider. Unless you double your budget, or find a good used saw, you're all but guaranteed a saw from Taiwan or China.

Art Mulder
11-02-2010, 4:18 PM
Matt, General don't make a contractor saw, only cabinet saws. I haven't heard of a new cabinet saw coming out, maybe I haven't been paying attention.

I have a General International 50-185 tablesaw, and I bet that is what Matt is talking about (or the 50-175 Right-Tilt twin). And I also have some issues with the trunnion... I simply avoid tilting the blade if at all possible.

Personally, I'm saving up for a Sawstop, preferably the PCS version. We'll see if my mind changes over the next year, since I think it'll probably be at least a year yet...

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 7:20 PM
In the sub $1500 range you are going to get an Asian saw if you buy new, a North American saw will run you about twice that much. In that price range I think you will find the Grizzly 1023 and 690/1 varieties are not only your best bet but about your only real choices for a cabinet saw (unless you count the Shop Fox clones). You would need to increase your budget 1000-1500 to have any significant increase in choices.

Jim O'Dell
11-02-2010, 7:59 PM
And the Griz 691 is on sale for 100.00 off. Not as good of a price as last year when I got mine, but is a heck of a saw. Jim.

glenn bradley
11-03-2010, 12:06 AM
And I also have some issues with the trunnion... I simply avoid tilting the blade if at all possible.

This is what made cabinet mounted trunnions one of my "gotta haves" when I acquired my second saw. Stable alignment is bliss.

Chip Lindley
11-03-2010, 1:02 AM
If i can get decent money out of the Contractor saw - somewhere in the $1500 range.

Matt, replace the trunnion bolts with hardened Grade 8 bolts and machine washers before you attempt to sell your CS. Amazing what those do to keep trunnions aligned, once torqued down properly. You might even decide you want to hang on to the General a bit longer. Or, at least the guy who buys it will be getting his money's worth.

Josiah Bartlett
11-03-2010, 1:05 AM
New Unisaws are made in the US if you don't mind paying that much.