PDA

View Full Version : Antique tools in Hyde Park/Rhinebeck NY?

Jake Helmboldt
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm in Hyde Park and Rhinebeck on business this week. Are there any antique dealers that have old planes and chisels?

thanks, Jake

Matt Bickford
11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm from Hyde Park, NY. My high school has some exceptionally out of date tools, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

There's a lot of really marginal antique stores in Hyde Park and nice ones in Rhinebeck because there's a lot of 'antiquing' by the NYC crowd. There are a lot of second houses in the area. There's probably a lot more furniture than tools as a result.

Go to the Vanderbilt mansion and check out the furniture, architecture, art, etc. It's right on Rte 9 in HP. It's the best site there in terms of my interests. The Mills mansion is second followed by the Roosevelt's, which has the Presidential Library.

Eleanor Roosevelt set up a furniture shop, Val Kill, for the locals to work at during the first great depression. It's a pretty neat story. You can check out parts of it. Again, it's in HP, but off 9G.

Because FDR is from the area there is a lot of WPA, WWW, and other works projects from the depression in the area: PO, middle school, parks, etc.

The Beekman Arms is all I really know about Rhinebeck.

What's your business there?

Jake Helmboldt
11-02-2010, 6:23 PM
I'm from Hyde Park, NY. My high school has some exceptionally out of date tools, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

There's a lot of really marginal antique stores in Hyde Park and nice ones in Rhinebeck because there's a lot of 'antiquing' by the NYC crowd. There are a lot of second houses in the area. There's probably a lot more furniture than tools as a result.

Go to the Vanderbilt mansion and check out the furniture, architecture, art, etc. It's right on Rte 9 in HP. It's the best site there in terms of my interests. The Mills mansion is second followed by the Roosevelt's, which has the Presidential Library.

Eleanor Roosevelt set up a furniture shop, Val Kill, for the locals to work at during the first great depression. It's a pretty neat story. You can check out parts of it. Again, it's in HP, but off 9G.

Because FDR is from the area there is a lot of WPA, WWW, and other works projects from the depression in the area: PO, middle school, parks, etc.

The Beekman Arms is all I really know about Rhinebeck.

What's your business there?

Thanks Matt. I'm actually at the Beekman while here. Neat place. And I'm doing a trail master plan for NPS for all of the park properties. So we'll be checking out all of the properties, though primarily outdoors.