PDA

View Full Version : Byrd shelix head for DC-380---where to buy?

Peter Quinn
11-02-2010, 6:16 AM
So, it seems I'm in the market for a shelix head for my 15" Dc-380 planer now. Yup, put one on the jointer, can't stand the planer any more! I was told that would happen. Question is where to get the head? I see Grizzly has the best price, but holbren included bearings with the jointer and free shipping which puts them close behind. Anyone had a good experience with either?

Cary Falk
11-02-2010, 6:31 AM
I bought a BYRD from Grizzly for my 8" Shop Fox Jointer. No complaints about Grizzly as usual.

Jim McFarland
11-02-2010, 9:22 AM
I bought a Byrd head for my jointer from Brian at Holbren and several router bits -- always good service and price in my experience.

Mike Ashton
11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I just installed a Byrd in my Delta 8" last night, ordered from Brian at Holbren and have no complaints. Price was great and new bearings were included. Took about 2 hours to complete.

Jeff Monson
11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Holbren for me also Peter, Brian was great to deal with. Highly recemmond just for the customer service alone.

Peter Quinn
11-02-2010, 8:06 PM
Well, the Grizzly Christmas sale flyer came today, and they had my 15" planer head for $579, versus $799 elsewhere. At that price they got me, I'm going with the head from Grizzly and sourcing the bearings on my own. Now I need a good source for bearings, sure not ordering them from Delta, home of the 800% markup on parts!

Brian Backner
11-03-2010, 7:03 AM
Peter,

Try Accurate Bearing outside of Chicago:

http://www.accuratebearing.com/

Ask to talk to Lynne in customer service - everyone on OWWM swears by her as she's accustomed to dealing with machinery rebuilders.

Brian