PDA

View Full Version : Used Unisaw Questions

Corey Markovits
11-01-2010, 9:51 PM
Hello,

I've had the good fortunate of running across a relatively new Delta Unisaw for what seems to be an excellent price, and I am looking for some guidance. Not being familiar with the Delta Unisaw, I am wondering if anyone could help answer the below questions.

Questions:
1) How can I tell what year the saw was made?
2) Are there any problems common to the Unisaw's that I should be aware of and specifically look for (particular to this model)?
3) What does the "Type 2" mean?

The Unisaw model number is 36-869 (SN 03C230-49) Type 2 and it comes with a 52" fence and mobile base. It appears to have the original 3 HP motor (Serial Number MB997230 021403) from what I can tell. The saw has been in storage for the last 1 to 2 years but is in excellent shape. Literally looks like it has only been used a handful of times, and not a hint of rust anywhere. The owner is asking $1K which seems fair. Any thoughts / comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help / insight you can provide in advance!

- Corey

Kent A Bathurst
11-02-2010, 7:13 AM
A number of guesses and assumptions, but here you go:

I believe that the saw itself [36-869] was only sold as part of the Limited Edition series, and the "sellable" model number of what you are looking at is 36-842, which included the saw,mobile base, 52" Unifence. [The 36-843 was the same package, but with a 50" Biesemeyer fence]. This might help you in online research. If it is this Limited Edition, it should say so on the nameplate in big fancy lettering.

The Limited Edition was, I think, the immediate pre-cursor to the X5 series of Unisaw. I will hazard a guess that the saw is 7 -10 years old, but this is just a guess, because I don't know when the X5 came out - I think around 2003 - 04, but others here will know better. The Type 2 designation means it's an updated version - probably nearly an exact match - of the initial model [which would have been Type 1, of course], so that means it is a bit newer, but still pre-X5.

Hazarding one last guess - I think the "Limited Edition" designation was likely a marketing/packaging approach on that design Unisaw, as they were transitioning to the X5 series - one final push on the sales.

My Uni is a previous model to this one, and I have always been happy with it.

As far as the price - you have to decide if that's a number you are willing to pay, based on options in your area, but certainly seems within reason to me, especially with the 52" table + fence. The mobile base is either a positive, or a neutral, depending on whether or not you need it, but it did add to the cost.

Last:
1] Pretty sure it is a left-tilt, which I prefer, but others here will disagree. Doesn't need to be a deal-killer.
2] I prefer the Biese fence v Unifence, but others here will disagree. Not a deal-killer.
3] Watch out for "never chiawanese" mortars that might be lobbed :D
4] Watch out for hot-dog-eater's mortars that might be lobbed :D :D. Surely one finger is worth an extra $2,500?? [C'mon - It's just a joke, guys - and I never could understand why Ken F put me on his "instigator's list"??].
5] Shameless plug: If you get the saw, assume it cost you $1,006, and send the other $6 to the Creek.

Good luck.

Carroll Courtney
11-02-2010, 7:24 AM
Welcome Corey to the Creek,I tried to see what part of the world your in,but where I'm at 1000.00 is at the top for the going rate for one of the best cabinet saws made.I just sold a Unisaw for 600 which is just a break even deal.If you have a saw now,you can sell it and that will drop the price on the saw that you want.Either way,given the age and condition its worth it since it will be your last saw till "death do us part":eek: It beening complete w/best fence made,thats a 300.00 bonus.Go for it and post pics of your gloat worthy deal----Carroll

Corey Markovits
11-02-2010, 9:56 AM
Kent,

First of all thank you for the quick and timely response – it has proven to be very useful! So I did some searching using the 36-842 model number that you provided and was able to turn up a Delta Instruction Manual. It clearly is an exact match so you did an excellent job in “hazarding a guess”. ;) The manual has a copyright of 2002, so your guess about the approximate year also appears to be dead on as well (ever consider a job as an Internet Psychic?!?!?) J

At the time of my original posting, I didn’t realize that there were two fence options. So I can say that it comes with the 36-904 52” UniFence, which I think I would will prefer over the Biesemeyer option. I currently have a Grizzly 1023RL with has the standard ShopFox fence. While the fence is alright, I’m just not crazy about it. From what I can tell, the ShopFox and Biesemeyer appear to be almost exactly the same, if not identical, so I’m inclined to try the Unifence. Given the fact that it appears that the fence can be configured for either a high or low profile looks to be a bonus (time will tell of course).

Also, yes the saw is a left-tilt (failed to mention that in my original post) which I prefer as well (to each their own though). With regards to the mobile base, it is a definite plus in my book. So all in all, I think this has helped me make the decision to move forward. And no, the “shameless plug” will not be forgotten – well worth a donation! Thanks! I’ll post some pictures after I pick it up next weekend!

-Corey

Corey Markovits
11-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Carroll,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have a Grizzly 1023RL saw now with a couple of accessories such as the motor cover, dust port, side table and outfeed table. So I'll be using that saw to offset the cost of the new one. In fact I already lined up a buyer this morning! :)

Really there is nothing wrong with my current saw at all. It has performed excelent by me. The only reason I was even considering the Unisaw was because I've always heard about how well they are made, and the fact that it had the full 52" fence with side table. I've been planning to get the extension table and 7' rails for my 1023RL for some time now, but this Unisaw came along and by the time I spent the money on the 7' rails and extension table, I would have spent more on that then on the Unisaw so... :)

Kent A Bathurst
11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Corey - de nada -

I am pretty sure that the fence you are looking at is greatly improved over what was available when I bought my Unisaw 12+ years ago - I should have noted that - so my knowledge of the relative merits of the two fences is too out of date to be reliable. Sorry. The Biese seemed much better [in my book] "back in the day." Also - AFAIK, the Biese was used as a design standard by a number of other manufacturers - no hands-on experience with Grizzly, but there's a pile of guys here that run their gear.

Good job on moving your Grizz that fast. Tee it up, let us know how it goes.

By the way - care to tell us where you are located?

Kent

Corey Markovits
11-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Kent, with all the "poking and prodding" I've filled out my profile! :) But I'll save everyone the time and let you know that I'm currenlty in the eastern panhandle of West Virgina. About 2 hours from DC.

-Corey

Cary Falk
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Carroll,

Yes, I have a Grizzly 1023RL saw

As in the new one that just came out a few months ago with the blade shroud and riving knife? I understand the fence thing. A fence you can't stand is not fun to deal with, but I wouldn't trade it for the riving knife and shroud. I moved from the Uni to the 1023RL. Despite the rumors the Uni is not a better saw. You will find it cuts the same as the Grizzly. Enjoy your saw and fence.

Corey Markovits
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Cary - no the TS is an older model...probably about 5 years old now so it doesn't have the riving knife. I'm bad with dates, but I think 5 years is a good estimate.

Regardless, I've been more than pleased with the Grizzly products. In fact I have a whole shop full of Grizzly products (15" Planer, 1.5 Hp Dust Collector, 6" Jointer, 6"x48" Belt / Disc Sander, Floor Drill Press, etc.). The only non-Grizzly power tools (baring hand tools of course) I have is my Dewalt Mitre saw and my old Delta Rockwell 14" Bandsaw. So yeah, I can't say enough good things about the Grizzly stuff. It's been really good to me, and I'm a real stickler for quality. Thanks!

Kent A Bathurst
11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Kent, with all the "poking and prodding" I've filled out my profile! :) But I'll save everyone the time and let you know that I'm currenlty in the eastern panhandle of West Virgina. About 2 hours from DC.

-Corey

I visit Lovettsville Va - Brunswick MD area often, and use to have frequent business trips to Ranson - Charles Town. Also made a trip recently to Morgantown to pick up a DP. Annnd..if you go back far enough, I lived in DC area 3 different times, including once in Leesburg.

Sounds like you are right around there somewhere, eh? Pretty country.

EDIT - Oh - I see now - Martinsburg. Spent a lot of nights in the Holiday Inn there, when travelling. Be careful - if that is all the "poking and prodding" required, you just fell in with a crowd that can help you spend money faster than you thought possible!!;) Thnx for Contrib status.

Frank Drew
11-02-2010, 3:08 PM
Co
The Biese seemed much better [in my book] "back in the day."

No question; when they introduced it, the Biesemeyer fence was a huge improvement over the Powermatic and Unisaw fences of the time. IMO, the hairline cursor alone was worth the price of admission -- no more measuring from the blade to the fence for each setup!

Corey Markovits
11-02-2010, 4:20 PM
As in the new one that just came out a few months ago with the blade shroud and riving knife?

Cary, your comment about the blade shroud and riving knife got me questioning myself. :o. I went and checked the Grizzly web site to make sure I was correct, and low and behold I have the the 1023SL model (not the Rl model I stated). Been a couple of years since I got it and I just remembered the exact model # wrong. Duhhh. Anyway, thanks for keeping me honest!
:D

-Corey