PDA

View Full Version : My First Bowl

Jo Ranum
11-01-2010, 9:00 PM
Don't laugh this is my very first bowl. We took a few basswood boards and glued them up for a practice bowl. I didn't have a design in mind and this is what came out. It is going to take awhile just to get the hang of this but it was fun. It was a project that I had started and just finally finished it.

By the way it is all my hubby's and Jeff Nicol's fault.;););)

Steve Vaughan
11-01-2010, 9:37 PM
Jo, I think you're probably hooked really good now. Congrats on the first one, and I'm sure there will be many, many more to come. You've done good for a first one, be sure to date it and hang on to it!

Roger Chandler
11-01-2010, 9:38 PM
Way to go Jo! That is nice for a first, and much better than many other's first attempt!

You will be a far advanced from where you are today, with the practice and turning, turning, turning .............experience and a local club will do wonders for you!

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2010, 9:41 PM
Jo - Congrats on completing your first bowl! Wait until you try turning green wood! Then you'll be smiling!

That poor Jeff - sure gets blamed for a lot of things!

Josh Bowman
11-01-2010, 9:46 PM
Jo,
That looks wonderful. I can't wait to see the next one.
Now close your eyes and step a little closer to the edge....just one more step and you won't feel a thing as you fall into the vortex!:D
Welcome

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 9:58 PM
Nice work!! I bet the basswood turned easily, too. Ol' Matt is going to get a run for his money!:D

David E Keller
11-01-2010, 10:15 PM
That's a great first bowl... Much, much better than my first half dozen! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Those steep sided bowls are not easy! Nice one.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-01-2010, 11:04 PM
A typical shaped bowl from a new turner, I have seen quite a few "first bowl" from new turners, and yes this is the typical shape, though it looks much better than my first bowl, and the finish and the rim embellishment looks better than most,so I say a very good first one Jo, just like was said, hang onto it, and yes date it and mark it as your first, it will always bring a smile to your face as that is where you started.
Thanks for posting, it is always good to see new turners having the courage to come and show their pieces, so Thank you Jo :D

Baxter Smith
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Congratulations on your first one Jo! If you had fun and posted it, it won't be your last!:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Congrats on your first bowl and a nice one at that. Wait till you can turn some green wood and as Steve said you will be smiling.

Mike Cruz
11-02-2010, 8:20 AM
I like the way you were thinkin'. Not at all what I would have thought to do first time around. Especially with the methods that seem to be "taught" for turning bowls (at least from my experience from my class, some help from fellow Creekers, and a DVD). So, I like the way you stepped out of the box!

Tony De Masi
11-02-2010, 8:23 AM
Nothing there to laugh at Jo. I sure wouldn't put my first up against this one either.

very nice job.

steven carter
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Jo,

Very nice first bowl, you did a good job aligning the grain. The next one will be much easier!

Steve

Kyle Iwamoto
11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice job! I never finished my first 2 bowls, so you're doing great..... My 3rd, which was my first finished bowl, looked pretty sad compared to that.

Prashun Patel
11-02-2010, 1:48 PM
Jo-
Nice work! It gets so much more fun!!! The world starts to look like a bunch of turning blanks after a while.

One bit of advice. Try yr next bowl on something a little larger and shallower. I agree w Dave that the steep edges are tricky and catchy at first. For some reason, new turners - myself included - feel the need to go deep.

Also, if you have any access to a green log, try turning a section of that. It's extremely forgiving, and so much less dust!

Jo Ranum
11-02-2010, 6:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the bowl.
Yes John I am giving Matt a run for his money.:):):)