PDA

View Full Version : Drawerslide/hinge conflict?

David Thompson 27577
11-01-2010, 7:59 PM
I will be building a pair of china cabinets for a customer. Her specs include concealed hinges on base cabinet doors. And behind the doors will be pull-outs -- drawers behind doors.

I thought I wanted to use Rockler's topslide drawer slides, in the over-travel variety. These require 1/2" of space between the face frame and the drawer side.

But I worry a bit -- will the face-frame-mounted hinges be less than 1/2" of protrusion when the doors are open?

Stated differently -- will the presence of the hinges impede drawer movement?

If anyone here has made such cabinets, I'd really value info on what combination of slides and hinges you used successfully.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-01-2010, 8:03 PM
Dave - I honestly have no idea, since I have little experience with hinges. But if it were me, I'd build a simple prototype out of scrap to see how the drawer and hinges might interact.

Steve Griffin
11-01-2010, 8:53 PM
John speaks the truth. Mock ups of such situations are key. For Blum hinges I usually figure 1.75" wasted space for the pullout to clear the hinges.

As far as being conned into building pullouts behind doors, thats something I'm just now being able to successfully talk people out of. "So you want to pay for a door and a drawer AND loose storage space???"

-Steve

Jason Raksnis
11-01-2010, 9:07 PM
I use Blums compact 32(i believe its 32) series hinges all the time with accurides 3832 full extension slides with no problem. I simple mock up would be good idea.\

Jason

Jamie Buxton
11-01-2010, 9:14 PM
.. "So you want to pay for a door and a drawer AND loose storage space???"...

That is a good line. I will use it.

David Thompson 27577
11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
............ "So you want to pay for a door and a drawer AND loose storage space???"-Steve

The same question asked differently.........

"So you want me to do something really unique for these cabinets. I appreciate your sense of quality and style. Now, that level of quality comes at a bit of a price. But when I look around your home, I can tell that quality and style are things you cherish. If you would, let me work up a price quote for these fine cabinets."

David Thompson 27577
11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I use Blums compact 32(i believe its 32) series hinges all the time with accurides 3832 full extension slides with no problem. I simple mock up would be good idea.\

Jason

Jason -- thanks for the response. Have you used this combination of slides/hinges with face frames, and NOT had to shim-out the drawer slides?

(edited to add.....)

I think I just found my answer -- blumhinges.com has the blum compact hinges being sold separately from their face-frame mounting plates. And depending on the overlay measurement, the mounting plates take more (or less) "intrusion space". If I can build the doors and face frames with a full inch of door-overlay, then the mounting plate takes up only 7/16".

I'm probably going to order a pair, and do that mock-up that everyone has suggested.

Jamie Buxton
11-02-2010, 1:02 AM
The same question asked differently.........

"So you want me to do something really unique for these cabinets. I appreciate your sense of quality and style. Now, that level of quality comes at a bit of a price. But when I look around your home, I can tell that quality and style are things you cherish. If you would, let me work up a price quote for these fine cabinets."

I like Steve's version better. Maybe I'm a better woodworker than I am a business man. I dislike doing dumb things, even if the customer will pay for them.