PDA

View Full Version : Hosanna! A bowl… (Owed to Leo Van Der Loo)

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 4:26 PM
Ever since I started visiting at this forum, I have spent hours looking at Leo's postings. I have always loved the subtle lines of his bowls, often enhanced by some detail but never so much as to distract the eye from the overall form. His forms are deceptively simple giving one to think that it should be easy to make one when in fact it is anything but.

Since I started turning, I have become more focused on "arty" multi piece forms which, in an odd sort of way, are easier to "pull off". The complexity of these forms tends to obscure or, at least, draw attention away from the subtlety of the line. With a bowl, it's all about that subtlety. There is nothing between the viewer and the line of the form. Leo seems to understand this in a way that few turners do. Leo has probably turned like, a million bowls. I have turned a total of four. But there is no doubt that his pieces have been a great inspiration for me and I have thought that if I did turn bowls, his are the kind I would like to be able to make. His influence on this particular turning is obvious.

My wife had asked me for "something" on her night stand to put her earrings and wedding ring in. I had this piece of rose myrtle left from the hollow form I made and I had been thinking it would make a nice little bowl. Her request was all the incentive I needed. Since this was a fairly thin piece, I didn't want to lose any thickness to a tenon so I turned the outside with it mounted on the Glaser screw chuck. It held very solidly and gave me an understanding of why they are so highly prized. I completely finished the outside, sanded and polished, then reversed it and mounted it on a 4" vacuum chuck to do the inside. The little ring post is rosewood. The bowl is seven inches in diameter and 2" deep.

Tim Rinehart
11-01-2010, 4:34 PM
David, you're very right about the subtleties in Leo's work, I'm sure we're not alone noticing that.
That is a fine looking piece for your wife's jewelry, I'm sure she'll get many good years from it.

Joe Aliperti
11-01-2010, 4:37 PM
That's a beautiful piece! I love the form.

Great idea with the ring post and I like the contrasting wood choice.

Roger Chandler
11-01-2010, 4:59 PM
David,

Nice work. You did pull off a very nice ogee curve on the form, and a nice rim treatment as well...........and what can you say about that piece of rose myrtle? Striking grain pattern on it, and you did well on utilizing it for an everyday functional purpose.

I would think your wife would like this a lot. You probably needed a change of pace from all the artsy stuff you have done in recent weeks..........a change of pace is good once in awhile! :)

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 5:00 PM
David, very nicely done. Good detail, especially for a bowl in this scale. The bead may be a little heavy, but seems to do well with this piece. Getting that undercut is tricky!

I love the rose myrtle, and the rosewood goes very well with it.

Scott Hackler
11-01-2010, 5:13 PM
Thats a nice looking bowl for sure!! I agree that Leo's stuff is real nice. Very subdued lines and simplicity.

Looks like you shouldnt discount out turning a bowl or two or hundred! :)

Baxter Smith
11-01-2010, 5:18 PM
Pretty and useful makes for a great combination!

Tony De Masi
11-01-2010, 5:21 PM
very nice David. Everyone loves an ogee don't they. And thanks for giving kudoos to Leo. I've thought of his pieces in the same way. Simple but oh so elegant.

Doug W Swanson
11-01-2010, 5:29 PM
Pretty looking bowl David. Nice form. I like the shape so I might have to make one for my wife, too!

I agree that Leo does some amazing things. He has the knack of making simple forms look amazing. I really like the stuff he comes up with....

Steve Vaughan
11-01-2010, 6:08 PM
That's a really neat looking piece! I love the ring post too...again I am inspired and I thank you for that!

Jeff Luedloff
11-01-2010, 6:18 PM
Awesome job on your bowl and i agree with Steve, very inspiring. Thank you

charlie knighton
11-01-2010, 6:21 PM
very nice, i like undercut rims

Michael James
11-01-2010, 6:52 PM
Beautiful piece, awesome "honeydo" piece, and very kind nod to Leo - and I agree 100% with your description of his approach to turning. VERY deceptive!

Cathy Schaewe
11-01-2010, 7:26 PM
Very nice job. Another Christmas present idea ....

David E Keller
11-01-2010, 7:59 PM
It's certainly pretty wood, and I like the addition of the rosewood post in the center. I find ogee shapes to be fairly difficult to balance well. Nicely done.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 9:15 PM
"It's certainly pretty wood..."

It does have a "little of everything". I like the way it "migrates" from spalted to curly and then goes pink at the edge. I wish I had more of this wood. It's really nice to turn.

Ted Evans
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Beautiful wood and execution David, Leo will be proud and I am sure he will appreciate the kind words. When I get big, I want to try to make one just like it, well, as close as my talents permit I guess.:o:o

Leo Van Der Loo
11-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Ever since I started visiting at this forum, I have spent hours looking at Leo's postings. I have always loved the subtle lines of his bowls, often enhanced by some detail but never so much as to distract the eye from the overall form. His forms are deceptively simple giving one to think that it should be easy to make one when in fact it is anything but.

Since I started turning, I have become more focused on "arty" multi piece forms which, in an odd sort of way, are easier to "pull off". The complexity of these forms tends to obscure or, at least, draw attention away from the subtlety of the line. With a bowl, it's all about that subtlety. There is nothing between the viewer and the line of the form. Leo seems to understand this in a way that few turners do. Leo has probably turned like, a million bowls. I have turned a total of four. But there is no doubt that his pieces have been a great inspiration for me and I have thought that if I did turn bowls, his are the kind I would like to be able to make. His influence on this particular turning is obvious.

My wife had asked me for "something" on her night stand to put her earrings and wedding ring in. I had this piece of rose myrtle left from the hollow form I made and I had been thinking it would make a nice little bowl. Her request was all the incentive I needed. Since this was a fairly thin piece, I didn't want to lose any thickness to a tenon so I turned the outside with it mounted on the Glaser screw chuck. It held very solidly and gave me an understanding of why they are so highly prized. I completely finished the outside, sanded and polished, then reversed it and mounted it on a 4" vacuum chuck to do the inside. The little ring post is rosewood. The bowl is seven inches in diameter and 2" deep.

David I'm not getting involved here :o, Thanks you for your kind words though :o :o.

It is your bowl and I do agree with John K, it is very nice wood you used, I surely like turning good looking wood, you made someone happy with this piece, Im sure :D

Tom Sherman
11-02-2010, 6:16 AM
A very nice Ring Bowl David, an excellent choice of wood and great execution of form. I'm sure your wife will love it.

steven carter
11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Beautiful ring bowl from a great piece of wood. Nice soft finish, You would be hard pressed to find any one better to emmulate than Leo for clean lines on bowls.

Steve

Dan Forman
11-02-2010, 6:55 PM
David---Lovely bowl. May I ask where you found a Glaser screw chuck? I haven't been able to find a source on the web. Thanks

Dan

David DeCristoforo
11-02-2010, 7:57 PM
"May I ask where you found a Glaser screw chuck?"

Well I found the one I have in my shop. I got it in '85 (nineteen that is) and then "lost" it. I've been looking for it on and off the whole time and finally found it recently in the bottom of a box of antique door hardware I've had for years. Don't ask me how it got there!

Dan Forman
11-03-2010, 1:11 AM
David---Thanks, guess they are out of production. Sounds like you are lucky to have one.

Dan