PDA

View Full Version : Best way to chuck ornaments

Wayne Hendrix
11-01-2010, 4:08 PM
I have some wood that I would like to try to make into ornaments but I am not sure the best way to chuck and turn the bulb portion. How are people holding the bulb to turn it?

dan carter
11-01-2010, 4:24 PM
Depends on the stock I'm using, but a Vicmarc 100 and/or a screw center works well for me.

Scott Hackler
11-01-2010, 4:48 PM
Wayne,

As you might know, I have a leaning towards making Christmas ornaments. I found the method that works for me is to take square stock that is roughly 2x2x6 and chuck it up in my SuperNova2 where the corners stick out between the jaws of the chuck. I get it real tight and bring up the tailstock until the clank is round. Then I remove the tail stock and get to shaping the bulb, leaving extra at the chuck side of the bulb for strength while hollowing. Next I bore a 1/2" hole completely through the dimension of the bulb. Get out the hollowing tools and get the bulb hollowed to around 1/8". Sand all you can get to at this point. Finish off a parting cut riding the bevel and continuing the curve of the bulb and "catching" the bulb before it hits the ground!

Next I chuck up a scrap piece of 2x2 walnut that I have tuned a 1/2" tenon. Flip the bulb around and pressure fit the "good side" and very lightlight, with finish cuts, clean up any thing you need to on the rough end. Sand and finish. Twist it off the jig and get to making a pendant and topper!

Hope that helps. :)

Wayne Hendrix
11-01-2010, 4:51 PM
Wayne,

As you might know, I have a leaning towards making Christmas ornaments. I found the method that works for me is to take square stock that is roughly 2x2x6 and chuck it up in my SuperNova2 where the corners stick out between the jaws of the chuck. I get it real tight and bring up the tailstock until the clank is round. Then I remove the tail stock and get to shaping the bulb, leaving extra at the chuck side of the bulb for strength while hollowing. Next I bore a 1/2" hole completely through the dimension of the bulb. Get out the hollowing tools and get the bulb hollowed to around 1/8". Sand all you can get to at this point. Finish off a parting cut riding the bevel and continuing the curve of the bulb and "catching" the bulb before it hits the ground!

Next I chuck up a scrap piece of 2x2 walnut that I have tuned a 1/2" tenon. Flip the bulb around and pressure fit the "good side" and very lightlight, with finish cuts, clean up any thing you need to on the rough end. Sand and finish. Twist it off the jig and get to making a pendant and topper!

Hope that helps. :)

That sounds pretty much like what I had planned on doing so I think I will try that.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 5:49 PM
Stand back about six feet and protect your face in case it bounces off of whatever it hits.

Curt Fuller
11-01-2010, 9:49 PM
I've found several ways to chuck the globe portion but this is how I've decided works best for me. Holding the wood in the jaws of a chuck allows you to get it round, drill it, and hollow it. Then, holding the globe between two cone shaped bushings on a pen mandrel allows you to work all the way around the entire globe without worrying about it popping off a jam chuck. There are probably as many ways to do it as there are people making ornaments though.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98860

Wayne Hendrix
11-01-2010, 9:58 PM
I've found several ways to chuck the globe portion but this is how I've decided works best for me. Holding the wood in the jaws of a chuck allows you to get it round, drill it, and hollow it. Then, holding the globe between two cone shaped bushings on a pen mandrel allows you to work all the way around the entire globe without worrying about it popping off a jam chuck. There are probably as many ways to do it as there are people making ornaments though.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98860

Oh thats a good idea, I have some delrin scraps that would work perfect for that.

Thanks guys.

Art Kelly
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I just started making ornaments, and I've had good luck with the Bob Moffett method of gluing the blank onto a wood "faceplate."

(Whenever I saw off the end of a limb to make small vases, I keep any pieces that are 1-2" thick, through-drill and tap them to fit my 1x8 spindle. Tap the hole, put it on the spindle and face off each end. I have 8-10 of them.)

Since I do mostly salvaged wood, I've often got some rough work to get the blank round. The hot-melt glue has never let go, maybe because it remains somewhat soft and absorbs the shock as the piece gyrates around, occasionally banging into the nearby roughing gouge. I do use a tailstock until things quiet down. (I don't have a bandsaw.)

Also, this allows me to have a bunch of pieces in work, which is good if I need to use some CA on a funny spot. Glue it and work on another while the glue cures. No chuck changing, every piece runs true everytime I put it back on the lathe.

I'm thinking there are six or seven thousand more ways. Go with what makes sense for the tools at hand and the type of wood.

$0.02
Art