PDA

View Full Version : I'm in d handle bliss

mark kosse
11-01-2010, 1:52 PM
I'ts funny, woodworking most of my life, teaching wood shop for the past 7 years, and there is still so much I've never tried, or know.

Yesterday I bought a set off CL. It was a PC 614XX set which consisted of a 690lrvs and a plunge base set. Along with it was a 6911 D handle base, all in excellent condition. The plunge base looks never to have been used. This is kinda a drive by gloat too because I got it all for 100.00

After using the d handle base I'm kinda wondering why would I ever need another base, beside a plunge base. It is a joy to use. I'm looking forward to many hours use for/with it.

One of the days I'm going to have to go to a woodworking show and see what else is out there.

Mark, who still doesn't own a pocket hole screw jig.

Lance Norris
11-01-2010, 2:30 PM
Ive been very happy with my 690 "D" handle router and also the plunge base. Ive read people complaining about the plunge mechanism being "sticky" but Ive never experienced that with mine. The 690 series from PC is a classic, and a standard, IMHO

mreza Salav
11-01-2010, 3:34 PM
If you think about it, for edge routing by hand, the D-handle is superior to the standard fixed bases: You need a downward pressure on the section that is on the piece and for the other section you need a force to keep it pushing against the edge and that's why a D-handle is far better.

I've got a 3-base router at the moment, the fixed base is at the table and use the plunge and the d-handle base for hand-held routing.

Andrew Nemeth
11-01-2010, 4:34 PM
For the sake of argument and to provide a little balance to this thread as I know a lot people new to the sport use the opinions posted in these forums to base their purchasing decisions, I am not sure I agree that a D-handle is "superior" or "far better". I used both extensively when I was a bit younger and in school. I almost always preferred the dual knob base and that is all that I have ever purchased for myself. I feel the router has much better balance and I have more fine control when gripping the knobs low and on opposing sides closer to the center of gravity of the tool. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :) For what it is worth I also prefer barrel grips on my jig saws.

Dave Sweeney
11-01-2010, 5:23 PM
I won't go so far as to say that a D-Handle base is superior to the standard version but I like using the D-Handle so much better than the standard that I sold my standard fixed base after I purchased the D-Handle.

Paul McGaha
11-01-2010, 6:00 PM
I like D Handle Routers. I have a couple. I find the routers easier to use with a D Handle Base.

Chip Lindley
11-01-2010, 6:15 PM
Mark, you will really enjoy your P-C router! The 691 D-handle is really user friendly with the trigger in the handle. I am a "dyed-in-the-wool" Porter Cable user. After suffering along with crappy Sears routers the '80s, finally getting a P-C 690 made all the difference in the world. Now I have one, or several, of almost every router and trimmer P-C has produced!

Jim Eller
11-01-2010, 6:22 PM
The D-handle on my 1617 goes hand in hand with my Akeda dovetail jig. It just makes it easier and I have more control than the standard base.

mark kosse
11-01-2010, 6:38 PM
Well,

I fail to see the need for balance here. It was more like a "teach an old dog new tricks" thread. I was kind of surprised I had never tried one before. I don't ask, nor did anyone else, for someone to go get one. I was really showing how little I do buy. Maybe not how little, but how little out of my comfort zone.

Chip, To set the record strait, not my first PC router, or third. I just added to the arsenal. It's my first time using a d handle. My favorite PC router is the low center of balance model 1002. I just wish it could take .5" bits.

Mark

Rob Wright
11-01-2010, 7:25 PM
I think that another plus for the D-handle IMO is the ease of accessing the power switch without having to move a thumb off one of the knobs on the fixed base and fumble for the toggle. YMMV

pat warner
11-01-2010, 7:26 PM
One, perhaps, contrarian view.

D-handled routers are limited to ~1½ - 2.5 HP and only available as fixed base routers. Their design is a carry over from the hand held circular saw, all of which are D-handled and make good sense there. Imagine a circular saw without one.
The hand feed is usually in line with the D-handle, blocking a view of the cutter. Users of D-handled routers like the switch-in-hand and claim they have “more control”. Few other advantages are reported. D-handled routers are outsold by their two handled counterparts by more than 8 to 1. They are the least popular of all routers and more expensive (to make).
Moreover, and to this woodworker, they have control problems.
Turning corners on the outside of stock requires high skill to keep the router from rocking. It’s a lot more difficult to use one with an edge guide. Expect the cord set to be in the way when the tool is upside down for bit changes. The Bosch 1618 ,e.g., will not rest upside because of the wire. The high up handle grip will require some getting use to, to keep the router balanced. The two-handled fixed base takes less effort and skill to control. (That is, for this operator).

Jeff Monson
11-01-2010, 8:00 PM
One of the days I'm going to have to go to a woodworking show and see what else is out there.

Mark make sure to stop by the festool booth at the show :rolleyes:

Jaze Derr
11-01-2010, 8:43 PM
I tried on a couple D handles for size at the store, but I went with the two low side handles for myself. I've got short, wimpy arms, and I just don't trust myself not to have a good grip without those two handles.

mark kosse
11-01-2010, 8:59 PM
I dunno, the pc has 2 handles.

William Burgess
11-01-2010, 9:08 PM
The D-handle on my 1617 goes hand in hand with my Akeda dovetail jig. It just makes it easier and I have more control than the standard base.

Does the RA1162 D-Handle fit the Bosch 1617 combo kit motor? I have the 1617 fixed base/plunge and would like to buy a d-handle, but I don't want something that won't fit the current motor I have. The RA1162 says it fits 1618, which I assume will fit the 1617.

Thanks,
William

Dan Barber1
11-02-2010, 9:39 AM
Mark, you will really enjoy your P-C router! The 691 D-handle is really user friendly with the trigger in the handle. I am a "dyed-in-the-wool" Porter Cable user. After suffering along with crappy Sears routers the '80s, finally getting a P-C 690 made all the difference in the world. Now I have one, or several, of almost every router and trimmer P-C has produced!

I agree completely. Years ago when I started my woodworking hobby I decided to get mostly PC power hand tools and wound up with several PC Routers, among other things. Never regretted it and prefer the D Handle to the standard. I've heard that since PC/Delta was bought out by Black and Decker they have started putting out cheaper stuff under the PC name to try to increase profits fast by using the PC reputation for quality to do so. I wonder if this means the new PC router quality is going downhill now with the other new stuff.

Dan Barber1
11-02-2010, 9:41 AM

I agree completely. Years ago when I started my woodworking hobby I decided to get mostly PC power hand tools and wound up with several PC Routers, among other things. Never regretted it and prefer the D Handle to the standard. I've heard that since PC/Delta was bought out by Black and Decker they have started putting out cheaper stuff under the PC name to try to increase profits fast by using the PC reputation for quality to do so. I wonder if this means the new PC router quality is going downhill now with the other new stuff.

mark kosse
11-02-2010, 2:31 PM
Dan,

The same was said when rockwell aquired PC and on some things it did matter, but for the most part PC stayed top of the line. B&D has owned Dewalt for quite some time and their stuff is fine. I have a DW610 and an identical B&D router. The only difference in the two is the B&D is .25 bits only.