PDA

View Full Version : Use for Old Jig Saw blades

Dave Gaul
11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Got a new jig saw recently, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=150519 . Didn't think my old bladed would work in the new saw, so I thought of a good idea for the old blades, since it was close to Halloween, here is a quick idea... Pumpkin Carvers!! Just used some scrap, sanded the edges some, put the pieces in the vise, and hammered the blades into the end grain... they worked like a champ!! Even our 6yo used them quite well!

Matt Day
11-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Is this a little late Dave? ;)

I thought the same thing when I saw the pumpkin carvers in the grocery store! I did't have any old blades I wanted to get rid of so I passed on the idea.

Instead of pounding them into the end grain, I'd probably drill a whole and glue them in there if I were to do this.

Dave Gaul
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Is this a little late Dave? ;)

I thought the same thing when I saw the pumpkin carvers in the grocery store! I did't have any old blades I wanted to get rid of so I passed on the idea.

Instead of pounding them into the end grain, I'd probably drill a whole and glue them in there if I were to do this.

Yes, yes it is Matt! I'm kinda slow at getting pics up... so busy all the time!! Better late than never?:D
I do most of my SMC'ing at work between things and lunch breaks!

Drilling and gluing (I'd use epoxy) would work better probably, but I didn't have the time for glue to dry, kids were just about ready to start carving when I thought of the idea... I'll hopefully get some pics of the results soon!

Bob Riefer
11-01-2010, 1:13 PM
damn, this is a good one. Our little cheapo pumpkin carver broke mid-way through carving and I was forced to use a steak knife the rest of the way.

Gary Herrmann
11-01-2010, 1:53 PM
I'll have to remember this idea.

I did cheat a bit this year and used my dremel.

Dave Gaul
11-01-2010, 3:55 PM
Bob, that's what made me think of it... those little plastic ones are just cheapo jig saw type blades with a plastic handle...

They worked quite well... cut very quickly, the picky kids loved using them!

Gary, I almost wanted to try the jig saw on the pumpkins! Never thought about trying the rotozip!