PDA

View Full Version : Need Resaw help in Abilene, TX area

Paul Hendrickson
11-01-2010, 9:25 AM
Due to serious illness I have been out of the woodworking scene for nearly four years. For my reintroduction, I am starting small, making Norm's alphabet wagon for my two nephews. Most of my tools are going to need lots of work to get them back into shape as they were stored in a barn in Houston and have rusted very badly.

So anyone in the Abilene area with a well tuned bandsaw? I have two pieces of 3/4" walnut that I would like to resaw to just under 1/4", and would hate to waste all that to sawdust on the planer.

I am willing to drive anywhere reasonable, even the metroplex, though I would rather drive twice as far the other way to avoid the traffic!

Thanks in advance.

Paul Hendrickson

Bill Huber
11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I have a 14 inch Jet with no riser if you can't find someone closer, I am in far north Fort Worth.

I would think you could find a cabinet shop out there and have it done cheaper then to drive to DFW.

Jim Rimmer
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I did a quick google search and found this company in Abilene. Don't know if they would be willing to help or if they even have the equipment (hard to tell from their website) but maybe they could point you to someone local. http://www.cabinetsolutionsinc.com/default.htm

Paul Hendrickson
11-01-2010, 2:44 PM
Cheap is not necessarily my motivation. The cheapest solution would be to just plane it down but I don't want to waste if I don't have to and of course some time spent meeting and hanging out with a creeker would be time and gas money well spent.

Bill is someone I would definitely like to meet, so I may give you a ring if I don't hear from anyone closer. Thanks for offering.

Paul Hendrickson
11-03-2010, 3:59 PM
Bill, thank you for being so generous. I am going to try and plan a trip your way after the first of the year and hope that we can hang out for awhile.

I have decided to rip them in half in two passes on the table saw. It will waste more wood than I wanted to, but no one seems to be close enough to help.

Thanks for responding.