PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Maple Crotch Bowl

Prashun Patel
11-01-2010, 9:17 AM
Sugar maple crotch, 9" dia. Finish = oil/poly mix.

I turned this green, and left it in a bag to stabilize and warp, but it didn't move an inch.

My big regret is having colored it. I tried to dye it and sand back to highlight the figure and I just don't like it here. I'm finding that the more figure there is, the more natural I prefer the color. Lessons learned. I have the other side of the crotch still unturned. I'll do that one natural.

Still learning. Comments / critiques invited.

I'm still learning too how to take pix.

Alan Trout
11-01-2010, 9:41 AM
I really like the color, finish, and figure, to the wood, along with the very organic shape an feel to the piece.

Good Work

Alan

Michael James
11-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Excellent! I would be thrilled if I could set out to get those colors and achieve it! Good job, great piece of wood and very nice finish.

Richard Madden
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I like what you have done. From what I can tell in the photos, the color looks good, the finish looks fantastic, and the shape is really nice. Not the "run of the mill" shape we see on natural edge bowls so often. I'd say you did an excellent job!

Scott Hackler
11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
That bowl looks pretty darn good to me! I like the shape a lot. Sometimes the natural edged stuff can look the same because of the shape. I like it when the shape bucks the "oval looking" normal NE bowl. The finish looks very good too. Dont be so hard on yourself, it looks great.

Roger Chandler
11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice one Prashun, I like the coloring.........something a bit different.........and the grain really pops on this crotch section. Good shape and finish.....I think it is a keeper! :)

David E Keller
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
That's beautiful. The 'three lobed' shape of the crotch is a nice feature, and I think the color turned out well. Awesome looking finish! You should be proud of this one.

Jay MacDougall
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Beautiful, I like the color a lot.

Kevin Stanbary
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I like it! I have a maple crotch log that I was pondering trying this with, but wasn't sure what it would do. Seeing this, I think I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Nicely done!

Rob Cunningham
11-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I think it turned out well. The color and finish does show off the figure. Nice work.

Dennis Ford
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
It looks great, probably would have looked good natural but I don't think it would be any better (just different). You did a good job on setting up the axis, turning and finishing. Nice wood too.

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I really like this. Like DK, I think the "three cornered" appearance is very unique and I love the feather running through the center. Well done.

Bill Bolen
11-01-2010, 1:00 PM
Beautiful piece and I love the tr-cornered form that emerged. Rather a unique NE ...Bill...

Prashun Patel
11-01-2010, 1:04 PM
Thank you for the compliments, but um, I didn't TRY to make it three-cornered; I mean, isn't that just what happens on a n.e. crotch?

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 1:04 PM
Prashun, no regrets are in order!! This is a fantastic piece - unique form with good color and the figure is wonderful. Excellent job on the finish and bottom. Good work!

Leo Van Der Loo
11-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the compliments, but um, I didn't TRY to make it three-cornered; I mean, isn't that just what happens on a n.e. crotch?

Nice one Prashun, I probably agree with your sentiment on the coloring, but even given that, I think the look is quite attractive as it is, and a very shiny finish, not to sure on that with a natural edge bowl, though many people do like a shiny bowl.
I turned a Walnut crotch like yours, but the limbs were more unequal and so the feather and shape isn't as well positioned or balanced as your is, the rough turned piece has been sitting for at least a year or two, maybe one of those days when I have more time I will finish it :)

Just a couple of pictures, as it did happen :D
166081 166082 166083

Baxter Smith
11-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Very pretty bowl Prashun! Nicely finished on the bottom as well.:) Tried to make an apple winged bowl once out of a crotched piece that had some deep checking. By the time I had removed all the cracks, I was left with something very similar. Arrived there completely by accident but it makes for a pleasing shape. I will be interested to see the other side!

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Prashun - you did good! Great form, I actually like the color you created and the natural form is really cool! Seriously - nice work! You should be happy with this one!

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
That piece is a beauty along with the wood. Really like the form, wood and finish.

Don Alexander
11-02-2010, 2:38 AM
B.. U.. T ..ful :D

the feather is flat out awesome nicely done

Prashun Patel
11-02-2010, 9:21 AM
Leo-
I agree with you on the shiny finish. I'm not a fan of those in general. This was though a gift for the co-worker who gave me the wood. I do get a lot more oohs and ahhs on shiny finishes from the uninitated...