PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tree Ornaments

Harry Pye
12-26-2004, 8:31 PM
Last Christmas I tried to start a tradition in my family by turning acorn bird house ornaments for each of my kids and their families. It was a total of five and they went over pretty well. This year I turned these Inside/Outside balls with a finial and an icicle. As usual, I put things off until the last minute and finished the last one on Christmas eve day just after lunch. Fortunately, I had a bunch of icicles already made.

The balls themself are made of poplar and dyed red with Rit fabric dye. They are sprayed with four or five coats of Deft lacquer and polished with the Beall system.

Gerry Meekins
12-27-2004, 5:02 PM
Real nice Harry. I like the idea of having the icicles done a year in advance!

Ted Shrader
12-27-2004, 5:21 PM
Harry -

Those are a very nice design. Dying with Ritz dye - Did you dunk them in a bowl full, wipe it on or what? How long did you leave the dye on?

Regards,
Ted

Jean Holland
12-27-2004, 8:01 PM
My plans this year is to keep the trunk of our Christmas tree. I heard that pine can be pretty wet, so after it seasons a little, I plan to turn some ornaments to hang on next year's tree. I figure if I do that for a few years, I should have some nice ornaments along with precious memories. :D

Dick Parr
12-27-2004, 8:03 PM
Very nice Harry, I bet those look great on the tree.

Harry Pye
12-29-2004, 8:23 AM
Harry -

Those are a very nice design. Dying with Ritz dye - Did you dunk them in a bowl full, wipe it on or what? How long did you leave the dye on?

Ted,

I used a concentrated form of the Rit dye and I believe it is water based. With this Inside/Outside turning, you turn the inside of the object first and then reverse the four squares of wood, glue them together and finally turn and finish the outside.

I painted the dye on with a small brush and let it dry. This raised the grain so I sanded lightly. It seems the dye doesn't penetrate very deeply, so the sanding left me with some bare spots. Repeated the dying and sanding step a second time with similar results. The third time, I applied the dye and allowed it to dry. Then buffed it with a piece of cloth. That seemed to remove the excess but left me with a smooth surface. I sprayed several coats of Deft gloss lacquer and then buffed with the Beall system.

I think dunking them in a dye mixture would have softened the Titebond glue and it would have meant taking the piece out of the chuck. I avoid doing that whenever it is possible.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Hodges
12-29-2004, 9:44 AM
Very eye pleasing. I like the color, and the delicate icicles.