PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as a signal booster for my home computer network?

dennis thompson
11-01-2010, 8:57 AM
I have a home wireless network for my computers. One computer, in my upstairs office, is hard wired to my supplier (Verizon). One computer is downstairs & the signal is very weak (2 bars). It goes down vey often. Is there any kind of signal booster I could buy for the downstairs computer? If yes, what would you recommend? I'm not a computer expert so the simpler the better.
Thanks
Dennis

Matt Meiser
11-01-2010, 9:29 AM
What you are looking for is called a repeater or range extender. Here's a random example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124359&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+AP/Bridge-_-Linksys-_-33124359

In my opinion though, it would be better to run a wire down to a second location and use an access point. Or depending on what router you have maybe just better placmeent and/or better antennas would solve the problem.

Jerome Stanek
11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
try moving the router around just a little some times a move of 2 feet will give you a better signal also try changing the channel in the wireless part of your router. You may be getting some interference from another source.

Bryan Morgan
11-01-2010, 3:44 PM
There are different firmwares that allow you to boost the antenna output power. Theres some cheesy looking cardboard and foil things you can put around your antennas...

paul cottingham
11-01-2010, 3:56 PM
In my experience, they aren't worth the money.

Can you move your router or better yet, hardwire?

Eduard Nemirovsky
11-01-2010, 5:44 PM
or if you have a cable (coax) outlet in downstairs you can use a MOCA adapters. I am using it with great success. doesn't need any setup, just plug in and use. You can read info here -www+dslreports+com/faq/14437.
I have wireless G range Extender from Hawking. I did used it to provide wifi to my shop, which located 250-300 feet from home. It did work well and I never have a problem. I bought it for $80, you can have it for half price if you are interested. Send me PM.
Ed.

Kent A Bathurst
11-01-2010, 7:03 PM
There are different firmwares that allow you to boost the antenna output power. Theres some cheesy looking cardboard and foil things you can put around your antennas...

I recommend this style:

http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bb2969e20120a545ddc8970c-800wi (http://www.soberinanightclub.com/2009/08/awaiting-xenus-orders.html)

paul cottingham
11-01-2010, 9:25 PM
Don't mock Xenu, man.

Bad things will happen.

Dave Lehnert
11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I have a regular old router that the phone company gave me. It is located on the second floor of my home. I can go outside a good 300 to 350 feet and still connect.

Ruhi Arslan
11-01-2010, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't bother with a "signal booster" but try a "better" router. If your computer's wireless si supporting it, yo may get better results with "n" routers. Also, in case you have cordless phones at home with a base unit near the router, try to relocate one or the other. Experimenting may pay off. One last thing you may try is to get, is all else fails, wireless routers via outlets. Yo can plug in one in the room you are using with better signal. I have not tried one but sounds like a good idea.

You cannot bypass your phone company router but use your router just like another device on yor network and connect your wi-fi devices to your router rather than your phone company router. Also, try to get an update form your phone company. If it is old enoguh, they may send you a new one which could have better signal.

Curt Harms
11-02-2010, 8:24 AM
Some routers have antenna connections that permit attaching other antennas. I don't know anything about any benefits of replacing the antenna(s), just that it can be done. I'll bet somebody here does, though :). I did have experience with relocating a Wireless router. Relative had a crappy signal, router was in the basement, 2 concrete block walls and a wood floor between the router and the PC. This is DSL so we ran a phone wire to underneath the PC and put the router in a wood cabinet. WAY better signal.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2010, 9:08 AM
Replacement antennas can make a big difference. For example, IIRC the stock ones on a Linksys WRT54G are 2.4dbi while replacements are typically 7-9dbi. When I used wireless to my shop, an indoor directional replacement antenna in the shop made a difference between not working and a 1-2 bars. Replacing the antennas in the house with high gain omnidirectional ones made the difference between 1-2 bars and 4-5 bars.

Not all routers have removable antennas and there are several different connectors so you have to do some research to know what to buy. LOTS available on Ebay. That's where I got my omnidirectionals.

Bryan Morgan
11-02-2010, 6:51 PM
I recommend this style:

http://markc1.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451bb2969e20120a545ddc8970c-800wi (http://www.soberinanightclub.com/2009/08/awaiting-xenus-orders.html)

Yes! Thats the one! Increased signal strength AND a direct connection to Xenu! Really, what more could one ask for? Heck, you don't even need a computer anymore... Just pipe the interwebs straight into your brain!

Bryan Morgan
11-02-2010, 6:53 PM
Replacement antennas can make a big difference. For example, IIRC the stock ones on a Linksys WRT54G are 2.4dbi while replacements are typically 7-9dbi. When I used wireless to my shop, an indoor directional replacement antenna in the shop made a difference between not working and a 1-2 bars. Replacing the antennas in the house with high gain omnidirectional ones made the difference between 1-2 bars and 4-5 bars.

Not all routers have removable antennas and there are several different connectors so you have to do some research to know what to buy. LOTS available on Ebay. That's where I got my omnidirectionals.

We added one of those big omnidirectionals to connect a building we took over before we had fiber ran... it worked great... just had to put up with the never ending phallic marital aid jokes from pretty much everyone... :D We eventually hid it behind an MSDS sign just so we didn't have to hear it anymore.

dennis thompson
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I just moved the router from the middle shelf of the bookcase it was on, to the top shelf & it works much better.
Thanks again
Dennis

Bryan Morgan
11-04-2010, 3:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I just moved the router from the middle shelf of the bookcase it was on, to the top shelf & it works much better.
Thanks again
Dennis

Simplest solutions are always the best. :) I still think that antenna helmet might work out for you someday though. :D