PDA

View Full Version : Winer needs ideas.

Roger Bullock
11-01-2010, 7:57 AM
OK so the wife says we are having a party where all the guest bring their favorite bottle of wine and we all get a taste. :) Last night she comes home with 6 blocks of different cheeses and says "Could you make some nice cheese boards for cutting and serving?" No problem...I've got 4 days before the party so why not. :eek: Been searching the web but in the past I have gotten my best ideas from SMC. Suggestions, ideas on designs or photos of yours would come in handy...but no need to hurry....I've got 4 days till the party. :rolleyes:

Don Bullock
11-01-2010, 8:50 AM
Your wife sounds like mine when we were younger. Now, she understands that my "projects" take longer than three days.

I have to admit that I haven'd made a cutting board since my high school shop class when I made a pic from walnut. The first think that came to mind when I saw the post was the cutting board project that the Wood Whisperer did. There's a pdf file with directions on his site at http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/files/cuttingboard.pdf. The only other thing you can do in such a short time is to search either SMC or the Internet. for designs. I know I've seen a lot of them posted over the years I've been here. Good luck. BTW--My brother is named Roger.

Mike Heidrick
11-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Do you have some real rough stock on a nice wide board say a soft maple with some color to it? Maybe sand and scrap a small cutting area in it and leave the rest of the area rough and live edge if you have it? Could be done real quick and no glue up needed. Just an idea.

Also say a cool cutting board one time that was an oval with the opposite edges scalloped/cut on the bias if that is at all understandable. Like a slice of wood from a trunk only on the bias.

Bill Huber
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Just take the wood you have and go to it, they are not had to make and you can make a bunch in a short time.

Here are some of my cutting boards and cheese boards.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/cutting