PDA

View Full Version : 540 lbs of Apple

Baxter Smith
10-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Last February I cut up one of the two forks on an old uprooted apple tree in Maine. I had a load of wood before I even got to the trunk so had to leave the biggest parts for the future. This past week I was able to get some of what I had left.
I had gotten some 11 and 12 inch rough outs from the upper branch last winter, but had been dreaming of bigger ever since.
The center isn’t solid but 15-16 should still be possible on this piece.
There won’t be any 20+ bowls from the bottom as the center was too far gone and had a healthy colony of rather large black ants. It had been fun hoping though!:)
Since I had no clue as to how much weight I had (and wanting to bring back more) I weighed the pieces. One 80, one 70, and 540 for the total on the table. With that amount, I was able to haul out some of the dead maple I had cut, buried and left to spalt in July as well.
I am sure it will spalt some more before I get to the end of it!

gary Zimmel
11-01-2010, 12:29 AM
That stash is going to make one big pile of turnings Baxter.
Nice, real nice..

alex carey
11-01-2010, 2:43 AM
the color on that wood looks beautiful!!! I'm looking forward to some more pictures.

charlie knighton
11-01-2010, 3:51 AM
great haul, apple moves a lot but has a rich color, looking forward to seeing what you do with it

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 7:24 AM
Baxter, you better spend more time with your lathe!! With the hauls you have made, there is enough wood for a lifetime.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2010, 8:11 AM
Baxter - that sure is a great haul of Apple! Wonderful color! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Ralph Lindberg
11-01-2010, 9:50 AM
I would say that the Apple is already rotting (not splating), I think this due to the color of the pith and heartwood.

I've cut a fair amount of old, old Apple. My house is built on a plot of land that used to be a working orchard (about 70 or 80 years ago). My surviving trees are about that old and the wood is really colorful

Jon Lanier
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Wooooo Hoooooo! Now, I can't wait to see some turnings! You know I'm in Lower, De area... if you need help turning in of that haul.... just let me know! ;)

Rob Cunningham
11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Looks like a good haul Baxter. I can't wait to see some turnings.

Mike Cruz
11-01-2010, 1:08 PM
Man, that stuff looks nice! How did you end up with an apple tree in the middle of the woods?

Baxter Smith
11-01-2010, 6:37 PM
I would say that the Apple is already rotting (not splating), I think this due to the color of the pith and heartwood.

I've cut a fair amount of old, old Apple. My house is built on a plot of land that used to be a working orchard (about 70 or 80 years ago). My surviving trees are about that old and the wood is really colorfulYou are right about the rotting Ralph. The spalting I was referring too was about the maple in the last picture that I was hauling out of the woods. The apple tree was a wild one and never part of an orchard. I have a picture taken in the 1890's of the house with some appletrees that are still there and they are of similar size to this one.

the color on that wood looks beautiful!!! I'm looking forward to some more pictures.
Shortly Alex.;):)

Baxter, you better spend more time with your lathe!! With the hauls you have made, there is enough wood for a lifetime.
More time?:eek: My wife tells me I only come into the house from the shop to eat and get on the computer as it is now! Wish I could make these pieces last a lifetime but I feel like the clock is ticking. On the wood that is.;)

Wooooo Hoooooo! Now, I can't wait to see some turnings! You know I'm in Lower, De area... if you need help turning in of that haul.... just let me know! ;)
PM me your address and the swing of your lathe Jon.:)

Man, that stuff looks nice! How did you end up with an apple tree in the middle of the woods?
Thanks Mike. Just a wild tree along a stone wall. Wasn't woods when this one started.

Looks like a good haul Baxter. I can't wait to see some turnings.
Thanks Rob, .... shortly.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow Baxter that is quite a haul. Should keep off the streets at least a day or two.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
You almost waited too long getting that Apple wood Baxter, yes I know, only so many hours in a day and with lots of wood around that is what happens, DAMHIKT :eek: :D
Happy turning, hope it isn't stained too much :)

Baxter Smith
11-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Wow Baxter that is quite a haul. Should keep off the streets at least a day or two.
Thanks Bernie. I'm planning on at least 3 or 4.;)

You almost waited too long getting that Apple wood Baxter, yes I know, only so many hours in a day and with lots of wood around that is what happens, DAMHIKT :eek: :D
Happy turning, hope it isn't stained too much :)
Leo, I wish I could have gotten to that tree 5 years ago. It would have been interesting to see the condition of that bottom section for comparison. Oh well, 2 months ago I only had 12 inches of swing and no coring system. Really would have had some waste then!:) And a year ago I didn't even know what a bowl was.;)