PDA

View Full Version : can anyone convert this excel file to a dxf?

Steve knight
10-31-2010, 11:51 PM
or dwg. I know autocad can do it . it is just simple rectangles but there are about 250 of them. drawing them all up would suck big time.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1939753/CBC_ChurchPanelSeasonalDecor.xls

Heath Brandenburg
11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Steve,

As far as I know, there is no way to 'convert' .xls to .dwg/.dxf with plain vanilla AutoCAD.

Depending on what you need I can either:

embed/link the spreadsheet in a .dwg (clicking will open the spreadsheet in Excel for editing)
insert an image into a .dwg
paste the text contents into a .dwg (no grid lines and has alignment issues).

I've tried embedding the .xls file but the resulting .dwg is too large to attach here. Send me your email info and I'll get this out to you.

Brad Shipton
11-01-2010, 1:02 PM
I assume you would like to export the coordinates to make drawing files for use on your CNC. Yes, there is a way to do this. You can export the coordinates to a .txt file after removing all the borders and titles from the Xcel sheet, and if you find someone with a program such as Civil 3D or another piece of software that imports coordinate files, then you could create point drawing(s) of the various parts. If you need the linework, the only way to do that is to manually draw them.

I think the easiest method may be to simply manually draw the items or input the coordinates.

Brad

Heath Brandenburg
11-01-2010, 1:18 PM
If you need the grid in CAD format, creating a rectangular array is pretty simple.

Steve knight
11-01-2010, 1:19 PM
there is a app that would do it for about 50. this job is low budget but that would cost less then manually drawing them all out. I foudn several addon's for autocad but they are old or expensive.
Steve@cncrouting.biz

Rob Wright
11-01-2010, 5:26 PM
Steve -

This sounds like a job for fiverr.com !

Do you need the spring/winter columns - or what do they mean or are the consequential?

I played a little with it and I found 2 things:

1)even if I wrote a script, I think it would take me more money/time than $50 to do it. I would read the values, write out a coordinate for 0,0, x,0, x,y, 0,y and back to 0,0. I have a civil engineering add-on program that could read those coordinates and create a closed polyline automatically for all the sets in a text file - so that would work ok.

2) When I just drew a number of rectangles in autocad of different sizes with the origin at 0,0 (some of them overlapping, some duplicates on top of each other) and then exported to dxf, I encountered an issue in aspire. I selected all of the closed vectors (some even overlap and are duplicate) and tried to nest them, aspire "grouped (for a better term) any vector that touched another vector or that was inside another vector. So what I got was no shapes nested - weird if you ask me. I always thought that I had to group vectors before I nested or else the holes/pockets would end up not following the parent part. I guess I was wrong!

Steve knight
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
nesting can be strange when parts are touching even if you want them to be touching even if they are grouped. the demo of the software let me do it after I figured it out. but I will get the customer to pay for it.