PDA

View Full Version : Queen Anne End Tables

Cody Colston
10-31-2010, 10:52 PM
I wanted to make something utilizing period elements these end tables are the result.

They are out of Walnut with soft Maple secondary wood and aromatic Cedar for the drawer bottoms. Finish is a coat of shellac followed by grain filler on the tops. When that dried, I put on a coat of Olympic Special Walnut stain that I had to even out the color and then top-coated with four coats of wipe on poly.

The cabriole legs were a first for me and I learned a lot making them. The first four, I shaped with hand tools, including the pad foot. The second four, I turned the foot on the lathe...much easier and better looking, too.

I made some mistakes but overall, I'm pleased with how they turned out and, more importantly, LOML is pleased. :)

Jim Rimmer
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Great looking tables. American Woodshop with Scott Phillips had an episode on turning those pads this past weekend (at least in Houston, not sure how these things are scheduled acroos the country). It looks like you've got it figured out, though.

Will Boulware
11-01-2010, 5:31 PM
Man, I love walnut. Nice work!

Tom Lindsay
11-01-2010, 7:23 PM
Cody,

Very nice work, and I am very impressed by the legs and pad feet. I currently have 8 cab legs in the basement for a similar end table project to the point of just starting to turn the feet. The bandsawing part was pretty straight-forward, but I have to admit I am a little hesitant about turning the feet (first lathe work I have done).

Hope they turn out as nice as yours did....

Paul Murphy
11-01-2010, 7:24 PM
Those tables turned out great!

gary Zimmel
11-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Sweet little end tables Cody. Nice work as always.
Will there be a coffee table made to finish the set?

Cody Colston
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. They are certainly appreciated.

Gary, I do have a coffee table planned. I've sketched out the general look (pencil & paper - I'm sketchup challenged) and will be thinking about embellishment details for the next two weeks while I'm offshore at work. I'm trying to decide if I want to incorporate any carving to "dress it up."

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 7:30 PM
Great job and the proportions and "look" of the pad feet and the knee of the legs are spot on.

Cody Colston
11-02-2010, 8:13 PM
Great job and the proportions and "look" of the pad feet and the knee of the legs are spot on.

Thanks, Van. To me, getting the proportions right is the primary thing in crafting Cabriole legs. I've looked at a lot of good examples (pictures) and tried to emulate them.

Not too heavy on the leg, not too exaggerated a knee, slim ankles and an appropriately sized foot are all concerns. Thanks for noticing the effort.

Bryan Wuest
11-03-2010, 1:57 AM
will be thinking about embellishment details for the next two weeks while I'm offshore at work. I'm trying to decide if I want to incorporate any carving to "dress it up."

Cody,
You did such a fantastic job on the legs and since you're thinking of some carving for imbellishment. How about ball and claw feet to set the coffee table apart from the end tables?

Cody Colston
11-03-2010, 6:35 AM
Cody,
You did such a fantastic job on the legs and since you're thinking of some carving for imbellishment. How about ball and claw feet to set the coffee table apart from the end tables?

Thanks, Bryan, for the comments and your service. Welcome back to Texas.

I am seriously considering ball and claw feet for the coffee table. :)

glenn bradley
11-03-2010, 9:56 AM
Those look terrific. How rewarding to have the gift of acquiring/practicing some new skills come out so well. I'm looking forward to the coffee table. Great work.