PDA

View Full Version : Cross Hatch problem -- definately IS a setup issue!

Mike vonBuelow
10-31-2010, 7:12 PM
Ok, so just for fun - and for learning's sake, I wanted to try out the laser using photoshop instead of AI or corel. Here's what I got.

* I've included the original file I'm using (from Airliners.net) to see what I'm doing.

** If it matters, this aircraft is one of the ones that is assigned to my squadron :)

Mike vonBuelow
10-31-2010, 7:16 PM
So here's a few closeups... I do not see any sign of the dreaded 'hatch' :D:D

I used the Gold Method (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93559) 600 dpi action, but I peeled back a few layers.

Maybe I should have used a negative image?

Maybe this is not the best wood for this testing?

I'm still just trying to figure out how the dern greyscale thing works.

I've 'circled' where the door should be - I do see an imprint....

I only selected raster image this time (leaving the other 2 unchecked) and I also used stuckey dither

I feel like I'm getting closer to understanding...

Dee Gallo
10-31-2010, 8:36 PM
Mike, I think you'd have to color fill this image to see what you really got.

cheers, dee

Mike vonBuelow
10-31-2010, 8:49 PM
OKey.... will do!

(Googling up "how to color fill")

Larry Bratton
10-31-2010, 9:09 PM
Mike:
If the image on the left is the image your using, one problem is that it is only 96dpi. That is very low resolution and you will never get a decent lasered photo from it. If possible, get one of 300dpi as a minimum. You could possibly print the one you have and scan it at 300. When you do get it prepared, be sure and laser it at the same dpi. A 96dpi image lasered at 600dpi just ain't gonna work. It is best to work in greyscale. If you have X3, you have Corel Photopaint and it will allow you to convert it to 1 bit black and white after you have finished your adjustments and choose a dithering pattern at the same time. I use that function a good bit, although I have Photoshop.

Rodne Gold
11-01-2010, 2:05 AM
Crosshatch manifests itself more on solid vector fills , using photograv or the gold method will actually hide it as it uses dots or small patches of dots not a solid type firing/fill.

Mike Null
11-01-2010, 6:05 AM
Mike

If you're not aware of this site take some time to look it over. It can save you a lot of grief.

http://www.af.mil/art/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=81

Larry Bratton
11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Mike

If you're not aware of this site take some time to look it over. It can save you a lot of grief.

Nice site Mike. Looks like most of it is high res or vector. I agree, that will save Mike v a lot of time and grief.

Mike vonBuelow
11-01-2010, 6:10 PM
Thanks for the help... forgot about my own AF website :o

Here's a reply from SW tech's:

If you are using Corel Draw or have it installed onto your computer and using it with a GCC machine, the only setting that will work is the error diffusion option.

Corel Draw says it's an issue with GCC's drivers because it works with Universal and Epilog drivers with no issues. GCC says it's an issue with Corel Draw because these settings work with Adobe Illustrator, Laser Master, AutoCAD, MS Paint and any other design program with no problems.

It's not really an issue, because there is a fix for it. It's just a setting you have to set when working with these 2 together.

So I may try out AI for a bit - plus I'm used to working with that already, just not in the laser capacity -- but a printer is a printer - right?

Andrea Weissenseel
11-02-2010, 2:53 AM
What was the question to this answer, Mike ? I must admit that I don't seem to understand the problem :rolleyes: Like Rodney already said, crosshatch is rather a problem on solid filled vectors.

If you want to engrave the picture as a photo, I would use the Gold method with max. 300 dpi or even less, and play with the individual settings of the Gold method - because the original is more like a solid fill.

Andrea

Mike vonBuelow
11-02-2010, 6:58 AM
It may be just me (i.e., NEWB :eek: ) learning the difference between raster & vector as it applies to how a laser handles them - even though I completely understand what the actual differences are.

I think I may have been asking the wrong questions - crossing the handling issue, and not knowing about helpful tips like the gold action.

Frank Corker
11-02-2010, 7:13 AM
There is another major flaw with your picture. It should be a negative and not a positive. It is a dark background and the picture is always going to look bizarre. I think if you ran the same image again but using a negative, half your concerns would disappear.

Dan Hintz
11-02-2010, 7:22 AM
I think neither/both are at fault. One is creating a specific pattern, and the other is interpreting it... the combination of the two different methods is creating a nasty side-effect, akin to why moiré patterns are created with line screens (different process, though).

Martin Boekers
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Mike

This is also a great site for shields and occupational badges, The AF is continually updating as they go.

It has gotten so much better in the last year. I use this quite a bit.

I wish more branches of the military had a similar site.

Marty

Mike vonBuelow
04-28-2011, 1:41 PM
Also just found something interesting!!! I will post pictures later when I get home to show what I mean.

I imported an image in Corel and used the trace bitmap feature, then I wanted to 'blackout' some text and replace it with a different font. So I created a shape and filled it with black over the existing font. I noticed that the black color I filled the shape with was different than the black of the traced bitmap - but thought no biggie.

After I lasered my design, I noticed the black from the traced bitmap has a smooth laser, whereas the black shape had the dredded 'hatch' pattern! (again pictures later today)
So the problem may also be with the color you're selecting to use, as well as the settings. I'll verify tonight with another sample, and more pics.

Anyways, with the warmer temps, I'm glad to be back in lasering work and posting again. So hello to all!

Joe De Medeiros
04-28-2011, 3:44 PM
Also just found something interesting!!! I will post pictures later when I get home to show what I mean.

I imported an image in Corel and used the trace bitmap feature, then I wanted to 'blackout' some text and replace it with a different font. So I created a shape and filled it with black over the existing font. I noticed that the black color I filled the shape with was different than the black of the traced bitmap - but thought no biggie.

After I lasered my design, I noticed the black from the traced bitmap has a smooth laser, whereas the black shape had the dredded 'hatch' pattern! (again pictures later today)
So the problem may also be with the color you're selecting to use, as well as the settings. I'll verify tonight with another sample, and more pics.

Anyways, with the warmer temps, I'm glad to be back in lasering work and posting again. So hello to all!

This sounds like the dreaded CYMK issue to me.

Mike vonBuelow
05-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Look right above the word "whatever" and you should see it

Dan Hintz
05-18-2011, 6:54 AM
That's an odd one, Mike...

Mike Null
05-18-2011, 9:55 AM
Mike

Take a look at your drawing in wire frame view. There may be something else there.