PDA

View Full Version : Tool Holder Designs?

Greg Bender
10-31-2010, 7:06 PM
To all the turners who have made there own articulated hollowing systems I ask if you could post some pictures of your creations.I just finished my version of an Elbo style tool and I'm getting started on making an assortment of deep reach shafts and articulated tips for cutter mounting and wanted to see what everybody willing to give up there secrets are using.

Also curious ,if you incorporated a laser holder of some sort what did you use for the support rods.Solid aluminum or steel tubing,which would be the better choice?
Thanx,Greg

Rob Cunningham
11-01-2010, 1:45 PM
Greg, here's a picture of my hollower. I used an aluminum tube for holding the laser pointer but am in the process of redesigning it. I have two tool holders, one straight and one on 45 degrees. So far I have been able to reach everywhere I've needed with just these two. I'll take a picture of the tool holders when I get home.
There's a better picture of it in this post:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=150770

Here's the tool holders I use and a shot of the rig in use.

Steve Harder
11-01-2010, 3:23 PM
I use a set of shafts that mount carbide inserts (ala Easytools), a couple of shafts that will accept 1/4" square carbide (ala Oland), and a shaft that mounts a Hunter cutter. A few of these shafts have bends in them to get around corners.

I used 1/2" aluminum tube for the laser (mounting a small laser head purchased on Ebay). The laser is powered by a wall wart so less weight at the head end of the guide. Solid or tube the laser is going to shake a bit.

John Grounds
11-01-2010, 6:38 PM
a shot of the rig in use.

Do you use a set screw to hold the tool rest in the banjo? What size?

Greg Bender
11-01-2010, 9:56 PM
Rob and Steve,
Thanx for the info and pictures.
Rob,
What size bar stock are you using for your main tool holder and what size do you step? down to for the articulated pieces? I have a main bar of 3/4" and was gonna dowel my articulated nuckles on with 1/2" 1018 steel using 3/4" stock for the various tool bit holders.
Steve,
I already have all my cutter tips from various suppliers from using them on my oland type holders.I need to get some 3/16" and 1/4" good quality keystock shaped cutters but haven't yet.Used some from my metal lathe but there all worn out.Any suggestions on a vendor for those.

Well,Thanx for the reply,
Greg

Rob Cunningham
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you use a set screw to hold the tool rest in the banjo? What size?

Yes, it's a 5/8-18 set screw. I didn't like the locking handle that came with the banjo.

Rob Cunningham
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Rob and Steve,
Thanx for the info and pictures.
Rob,
What size bar stock are you using for your main tool holder and what size do you step? down to for the articulated pieces? I have a main bar of 3/4" and was gonna dowel my articulated nuckles on with 1/2" 1018 steel using 3/4" stock for the various tool bit holders.

Well,Thanx for the reply,
Greg

Greg,
The main tool holder rod is 3/4" as are the large tool bit holders. The smaller ones are 1/2" hex stock for getting into smaller openings.
For cutters, I use HSS metal lathe toolbits. You can get them from MSC.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=14959658&SISRCH=2&SIS0NO=1532262&SIT4NO=97006761&SIOR=1