View Full Version : Tool ID

Charlie Stone
10-31-2010, 6:46 PM
In the video, this guy has some sort of caliper attached to his parting tool, does anyone know where to find one of these?

It is shown at 00:40 and again at 03:15

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-turn-an-oak-spindle

Doug W Swanson
10-31-2010, 7:17 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Robert_Sor by_Sizing_Tool___sorby_sizing_tool?Args=

Here you go. I have never used one but it looks handy.....

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2010, 7:24 PM
Charlie it is a Robert Sorby sizing tool. You can get them at Craft Supply. I have one and use in when turning spindles along with tenons. The same one that Doug references is the one. Got it at a garage sale for 50 cents.

(http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Special_Purpose_Tools___Robert_Sor by_Sizing_Tool___sorby_sizing_tool?Args=)

Charlie Stone
10-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Thanks,

I just got into turning in the past month. I have about 100 spindles to replicate for my historic house and this thing looks like a life saver.

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 7:16 AM
It would seem that this tool requires one to use the parting tool only in a scraping position?!?! Maybe I do it wrong, but I ride the bevel on the parting tool with a planing cut. With that presentation, this tool would not seem to work.

Am I missing something?

Charlie Stone
11-01-2010, 9:21 AM
John,

I saw the video linked below related to making cuts with the parting tool. I have mixed feelings about learning via videos. I love that I have the ability to see this stuff, however, I really wish I had a mentor looking over my shoulder. I am not sure based on the angle of attack if this tool would work with these style cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_43nB2zTX8

Charlie

Charlie Stone
11-01-2010, 9:31 AM
I did see another video somewhere late last night where someone did a rough sizing, then switched to the caliper to do a final sizing of the last 1/16 of an inch or so to be precise.

Doug Wolf
11-01-2010, 8:56 PM
Charlie, my dad used several of these set at different widths when production turning in the 1950's. Looks like someone (Sorby) reinvented the wheel.

John, you can use it with a planing cut until you get close to the desired diameter then raise the handle of the parting tool to drop the gauge over the far side of the spindle using a scraping cut to get the final diameter.

Charlie Stone
11-01-2010, 10:49 PM
excuse my ignorance, I am learning about turning from youtube. Is a planing cut what the guy in second video link i posted doing? somewhat of an arch motion to the cut?

Reed Gray
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I have seen people take old open end box wrenches and sharpen one end. Does the same thing.

robo hippy

David Peebles
11-02-2010, 1:25 AM
What Reed said,

In a past life I made a lot of Shaker chairs that needed sized at the tenons. I used an open ended wrench sharpened at the top to get a pefectly sized tenon.

I did find that a 5/8" wench is actually a bit bigger that 5/8". So I would buy a metric wrench and just use a file to get it to the perfect size. It is a great way to make things easier. No calipers and no real problem getting it just right.

Best wishes,

Dave

John Keeton
11-02-2010, 6:03 AM
excuse my ignorance, I am learning about turning from youtube. Is a planing cut what the guy in second video link i posted doing? somewhat of an arch motion to the cut?Yes, Charlie, the rolling cut is a planing or shear cut - an easier and much smoother cut, with less stress on the piece so the end result is usually more round. A scraping cut, can result in more wood taken out of certain areas and an out of round cut - in my limited experience.

Charlie Stone
11-02-2010, 9:41 AM
It has turned out that, for me, turning is very much like computers. There was a time when used to say, "I hate computers, I will never own one." I am now a network/internet engineer. Until recently, said "I don't see what the big deal is about lathes and turning, I am NOT going down that road" ... Here I am with a cheap lathe and tools, and getting sucked into the vortex. At first I watched a few videos as they were mixed in with others of interest. Then, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I started catching myself saying, "hmm ... that's cool." Then I just had to have a lathe, and even found home improvement projects that justified my need.