PDA

View Full Version : How would you cut this?

Ted Evans
10-31-2010, 6:34 PM
Your suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Please allow me to take advantage of all the great talent in this group and ask for your suggestions on how you would cut this piece to take the most advantage of the wood. Bowls, HFs, vases, firewood? It is 3 to 4 ½” thick and 24 x 39” width and length.

I know this is very subjective however, I respect your opinions more than mine for this. :o Thanks. Ted

John Keeton
11-01-2010, 7:32 AM
Ted, I think I would be tempted to take the outlying wings for bowls, and that should leave you enough for a couple of smaller HFs out of the center. With the thickness, you will be limited to about 7" or so in width of the HFs, I would think.

Just a thought!

Roger Chandler
11-01-2010, 7:39 AM
I think I agree with what John said..........the biggest area would make a fine bowl or platter, and boy that has some nice grain...........the rest would be probably rectangle shaped ...........you will be limited with the size and have to keep them on the small side of things for a hollow form.

john l graham
11-01-2010, 1:21 PM
I would try to get something out of the area with the two different tones running through the piece. That would be the primary and everything else would depend on size of whats left. Don't forget small pieces make good pen blanks.

Prashun Patel
11-01-2010, 1:37 PM
I'm no expert, but having cut a fair number of logs in my short time at doing this, I'd first cut off the spalted wing and use it for a small bowl.

It also looks like there's a split or running halfway thru the main piece. I'd cut along that as well, and them make the biggest bowls or platters that each of those thirds allow, at the deepest part.

Ted Evans
11-01-2010, 9:36 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions and ideas.

John K. and Roger, I do not do large turnings so the size limitations are not a problem for me.

John G., one of the bowls should have the different tones you speak of and there are a number of pen blanks and bottle stopper sizes also.

Prashun, that is pretty much how it ended up.

Again, thanks everyone for the help and responses. ;) Ted