PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness for SawStop!! ;-)

Chip Lindley
10-31-2010, 6:02 PM
I digress, but when you read on, you will understand.

My latest bonifide GLOAT is this very nice 1988 PM66. I was as amazed as anybody that the saw sold on ebay for only $356!! No fence included, but it has a 3hp Baldor single-phase motor. Included was the pricy Biesemeyer anti-kickback splitter. Maybe no fence kept the price down! But, I just happen to have a Bargain Biesemeyer ready to attach. I might even repaint the Biese PM Gold to match!

Sadly, the L6-20 plug was smashed and had to be replaced. (chuckle) The front elevation handwheel wobbles a bit, probably due to forklift abuse. I will have to figure out the best way to judiciously straighten that out without causing any harm to the front trunnion. Other than those few issues, the Powermatic is Plug 'n' Play!

My buddy Mel and I drove 6 hours each way to Omaha to pick up the saw last Friday. This tablesaw and others are being sold because the Millard school district has bought brand new SawStop replacements for their high school shops! Yay! SawStop!

Bruce Page
10-31-2010, 6:51 PM
Sweet deal!
Congrats

Will Overton
10-31-2010, 7:02 PM
Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it. I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I don't get the thrill.

On the other hand, you are happy with the deal, and that's what counts.

So, congratulations.

Phil Thien
10-31-2010, 8:47 PM
Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it.

I see a road trip with a good friend, probably some greasy food, and a new saw to play with at an unbelievable price.

I guess I'm a glass is half-full guy. :D

Matt Day
10-31-2010, 8:52 PM
Great gloat!

If I were pricing out a T&M ticket, I might think about the 24 man hours, but not when I knew the 2 guys had a smile on their face the whole time!

gary Zimmel
10-31-2010, 9:00 PM
Good for the school and good for you Chip...
Sweet gloat....

John Coloccia
10-31-2010, 9:05 PM
Twenty four man hours, gas, $356 and now we figure out how to fix it. I know I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I don't get the thrill.

On the other hand, you are happy with the deal, and that's what counts.

So, congratulations.

I once drove 4 hours, in the middle of the night, to find veal so I could make veal Marsala. We ate at 4:00 in the morning. As a former engineer, and engineering manager, it's always important to remind people that not everything in life is an optimization problem.

Josh Bowman
10-31-2010, 9:13 PM
You suck! Great deal. I paid more than that for mine, had to work on it more that you will but only had to drive 3 hours each way.:D

Gary Herrmann
10-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Congrats Chip. Sometimes the journey makes the trip worthwhile.

Great gloat.

David Hostetler
10-31-2010, 11:12 PM
Depending on the cost of the handwheel, you will probably still be money ahead just replacing it...

Sounds like a really good deal.

On the man hours issue. If it's a road trip with a good friend, it's not really an expense is it?

Dave MacArthur
10-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats Chip! Sounds like a fun roadtrip. Actually, it sounds like a deer hunt, but you bagged an 8pt PM66!

anthony arguello
10-31-2010, 11:41 PM
maybe we should all go around to our school districts and promote the safety of sawstop saws and perhaps they will be gracious enough to give us a good deal on their old saws...Just a thought. great buy and I'm sure the trip was worth it

Mike Heidrick
10-31-2010, 11:46 PM
I love road trips for tools and wood. Congrats on a beauty of a saw with a beauty of a power Baldor motor! Super sweet! It will be well worth fixing her up!

Chip Lindley
11-01-2010, 1:09 AM
Thanks guys! I have always admired these gold PM66's--the last American-made Powermatics. Many PM66s have been used and abused, but this one is just getting it's 2nd Wind!

Our 24 man-hour investment came at a deep discount since we are both retired. Just a nice Fall day very well-spent far as I'm concerned. Life is short and I'm happy! That's what matters.

The elevation handwheel is in good shape. The shaft end is what is bent. All works as it should, but with a wobble. I will leave well enough alone until I decide if removing the shaft to straighten it is worth the all effort. Haste makes waste if I crack some cast iron prying around on it!

Brian Kincaid
11-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I once drove 4 hours, in the middle of the night, to find veal so I could make veal Marsala. We ate at 4:00 in the morning. As a former engineer, and engineering manager, it's always important to remind people that not everything in life is an optimization problem.

Very wise, John, very wise.

-Brian

Chuck Wintle
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys! I have always admired these gold PM66's--the last American-made Powermatics. Many PM66s have been used and abused, but this one is just getting it's 2nd Wind!

Our 24 man-hour investment came at a deep discount since we are both retired. Just a nice Fall day very well-spent far as I'm concerned. Life is short and I'm happy! That's what matters.

The elevation handwheel is in good shape. The shaft end is what is bent. All works as it should, but with a wobble. I will leave well enough alone until I decide if removing the shaft to straighten it is worth the all effort. Haste makes waste if I crack some cast iron prying around on it!

the shaft should be removed from the machine and straightened in a press. I had to do this once on a machine I bought. I managed to get it fairly straight if not completely perfect.

ken carroll
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Chip,

You LUCKY bugger!

As you know I have a pretty abused '91 model PM-66. Yours looks a lot nicer than mine and I paid double what you did!

Let's see who can get their saw working to spec the soonest!

ken

Troy Turner
11-01-2010, 1:18 PM
Alright, so how long did it take you to plug it in when you got home and run a piece of wood through it. Leave early in the A.M., get back in the evening, fix what needs to be fixed, and have a piece of wood going through it by say 8..9 o'clock :) :)

Bryan Slimp
11-01-2010, 2:28 PM
I probably shouldn't kick myself. I should probably learn to watch ebay.

That saw probably lived for years no more than 10 miles and within 2 miles of my house. (sick face smiley goes here)

Chip Lindley
11-01-2010, 6:53 PM
Well Bryan, maybe 2nd Time is the Charm? The same seller currently has this really nice, later model Unisaw for auction on ebay. Funny thing--when I was there to pick up my gloat, their forklift guy brought out this Uni on a big pallet first. I could have let them load it and been off down the road, but I wanted that '88 gold PM66! lol

Don Dorn
11-01-2010, 7:03 PM
Driving six hours each way netted you the saw you wanted. Consider that if I had known about it, I'm only and hour and a half from Omaha and it would have headed North. The saw goes with the story too - well worth the trip I'd say.

Norman Pyles
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Sounds like a fun day to me. Congratulations on the new PM66.

Kevin Gregoire
11-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Don, you have enough goodies. plus you would have had to race me down I-29 for it.

glenn bradley
11-02-2010, 1:25 PM
So you bought the motor and wings and got the saw for free? Congrats!

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 4:43 PM
The point of your gloat is very accurate, the SS has put a lot of PM66 and Unisaws on the market from schools etc. I had a friend actually get a PM2000 that had only been setup and never actually used by the kids for 1,500, it had sat for over a year while the district decided what to do about table saws in the classroom.

Chip Lindley
11-04-2010, 9:19 PM
Driving six hours each way netted you the saw you wanted. Consider that if I had known about it, I'm only and hour and a half from Omaha and it would have headed North. The saw goes with the story too - well worth the trip I'd say.

Don, you have enough goodies. plus you would have had to race me down I-29 for it.

Well....that nice late-model Omaha Unisaw went for $302.98 on eBay today. I was hoping one of you guys grabbed it!

Kurt Keeler
11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
The buyer for the late-model Unisaw apparently backed out and it was relisted,,,, so I bought it. I pick it up tomorrow. I hope I am as happy with it as Chip is with his PM

David Winer
11-21-2010, 3:58 PM
Originally Posted by John Coloccia http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1547688#post1547688)
... As a former engineer, and engineering manager, it's always important to remind people that not everything in life is an optimization problem.

What? ...What? ...Blasphemy!

Logan William
11-21-2010, 4:13 PM
The buyer for the late-model Unisaw apparently backed out and it was relisted,,,, so I bought it. I pick it up tomorrow. I hope I am as happy with it as Chip is with his PM

Glad you bought it, I had that bid page up and was very close to making a bid. As I already have a Uni of that vintage I wanted the right hand extension and the overarm guard, then I would've probably offered the saw itself up here. I'm an hour and a half south and a bit east of it...still haven't decided if I'm glad I didn't bid on it, but hope it works great for you!

Kurt Keeler
11-21-2010, 6:51 PM
I was hoping Chip would chime in with how sweeet the saw is,,, that way I can quit worrying till tomorrow.

Chip Lindley
11-21-2010, 7:40 PM
Hey Kurt, It did look sweet...what I saw of it briefly on the forklift! I believe those school shops gently-used their machines. I think you will get your money's worth for sure!

Let us know what you think, with photos, after the forklift guy loads the correct saw! lol

Kurt Keeler
11-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I picked up the later model Unisaw in Omaha yesterday.
The saw is from a High School shop class and was built in 1998.

It is a single phase, 5HP, right tilt, 52" Unifence and Uniguard. It has a hole in the extension table for a router and is wired up with a separate switch to turn the router on and off. It did not come with a miter gauge, splitter or blade.

Does $382.00 for this count as a "gloat"? I'll post pictures once I get it out of the truck.

Logan William
11-23-2010, 2:02 PM
I picked up the later model Unisaw in Omaha yesterday.
The saw is from a High School shop class and was built in 1998.

It is a single phase, 5HP, right tilt, 52" Unifence and Uniguard. It has a hole in the extension table for a router and is wired up with a separate switch to turn the router on and off. It did not come with a miter gauge, splitter or blade.

Does $382.00 for this count as a "gloat"? I'll post pictures once I get it out of the truck.

Ok so you just convinced me that I should've bid on that one, newer and more powerful then my current Unisaw! Nice score!