PDA

View Full Version : PayPal

Ruhi Arslan
10-31-2010, 5:39 PM
I use PayPal only for individual transactions to send money. I've been a verified member since not many even knew how to spell PayPal. I had few recently for the things I bought through classifieds. Today, I tried to use PayPal to order from ToolCenter via PayPal because I didn;t want to get up to get my CC. Received a notice stating that my account was limited to access due to a suspected unauthorized access. Went through the loops to get it reactivated. It is harder than opening a new account looks like. I send a question to understand what may have been the reason. Here is the automated response:

When we limited your account, we looked at different factors including:

- Information we collect internally and sometimes from other users.

- PayPal's tools, processes, and information that monitor our payment network are confidential and proprietary.

To help you understand our limitation process, there are a few things you should know:

- When you signed up for our services, you agreed to our User Agreement, Privacy, Acceptable Use Policies, and others.
- The decision to place a limitation on your account was based on terms outlined in these agreements.
- Generally, we place limitations on an account to learn more about you, your account activity or your transactions. To appeal an account limitation, we might ask you to take various steps, provide us with information, or supply us with certain documents.
- In some cases, we may decide that we can no longer offer our services to you.

If you would like to obtain copies of the information we reviewed in deciding to place a limitation on your account, you will need to obtain a court order or subpoena. To do so, you may want to consider speaking with an attorney who should be able to explain the subpoena process to you. If you choose to subpoena the information, you'll need to submit it to us using National Registered Agents, Inc.

Thanks,

PayPal Account Review Department
I particularly like the part where it says " we do whatever we want - what are you going to do about it" part.
:mad:

David Weaver
10-31-2010, 5:55 PM
One thing is for sure about paypal, their policies are set up to maximize their revenue with a minimal exposure on their part.

Their rules, their game.

I have been bailed out by their mediation process twice, both times to the tune of about $300.

But I recognize that at any second, they could do something to me that makes no sense because they feel it's good for them.

I also got burned on an international transaction because shipping plus return shipping took more than 45 days. I would like them to revise their policies when you have no idea you're actually ripped off before the time limit runs out. Their response was basically "we aren't going to do anything for you, but we'll tell the other person they're not nice".

Bruce Page
10-31-2010, 7:00 PM
I use Paypal from time to time but the first time I get a notice like that I will be closing my account with them. I look at PP as a convince not a necessity.

Jim Finn
10-31-2010, 7:25 PM
It took me over 2 years and many phone calls to get paypal to close my account! A pack of loosers. there.

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2010, 7:29 PM
PayPal lost me years ago. My original account was tied to my credit card. I did this so I had some recourse in case a purchase went south. They decided to not allow that for me any longer, and only wanted my account tied to a checking or savings account. I said no, and haven't used them since. It has also kept me off of Ebay. Good for me, bad for them. It's their game, so I'll let them play it by themselves. Jim.

Brian Myers
10-31-2010, 7:35 PM
I`ve had my account access limited twice once because someone had hacked in to it ( they caught it quickly) and once because I forgot to verify a credit card I added. The limit because of the credit card took several days to clear up and was a pain for such nonsense, but they are on the ball in keeping others out of your account. If it was easier to reach a live person though would be an improvement.

Charlie Reals
10-31-2010, 8:25 PM
PayPal lost me years ago. My original account was tied to my credit card. I did this so I had some recourse in case a purchase went south. They decided to not allow that for me any longer, and only wanted my account tied to a checking or savings account. I said no, and haven't used them since. It has also kept me off of Ebay. Good for me, bad for them. It's their game, so I'll let them play it by themselves. Jim.

I think this is starting with my pp. they kept charging my checking account instead of my cc. nuff of that carp.

Mike Gabby
10-31-2010, 8:54 PM
Most notices that appear to be from PayPal regarding account suspension are fradulent. If the notice doesn't address you by your REAL NAME, that's your first clue. Just to be sure, all such email notices should be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com. Paypal will most likely send you a return message declaring the email fradulent.

If you already responded to one of the bogus notices, I hope you didn't divulge any sensitive info. If you did, you might be in deep doodoo.

In case you are the one person who didn't already know, PayPal is a wholly owned subsidiary of ebay. They are in business for one reason only and that reason is not to make their customers feel good.

Ruhi Arslan
10-31-2010, 9:25 PM
What ticked me off is the snub auto reply; you agreed on with the terms, put up or shut up.

Real emails form PP do not contain a link to follow as far as I know, just the plain text. I did go to my account and checked the address I was at at every step to get into my account after FAQ pages without loging in. But, thanks for the heads up in any case.

Before completing each transaction, although bank account is the default, there is tiny link to choose source of funding. You can choose your CC as the source and click through several layers of are you sure pop-ups to go ahead with the CC as the source. I never had to make a claim or contest any charges but still like to have the second layer of safety with the CC.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-31-2010, 9:29 PM
This kind of makes me glad I have never done anything with PP.

Erik Manchester
10-31-2010, 9:52 PM
I have used PP a lot on e-Bay without incident but I do not plan to ever enable them to access anything but my credit card. So far it has never been an issue.

Brian Elfert
10-31-2010, 10:35 PM
I think this is starting with my pp. they kept charging my checking account instead of my cc. nuff of that carp.

The default on Paypal is to use your checking or savings account instead of your credit card. I have to manually select my credit card every time I use Paypal.

I suspect they do it this way as they make more money if they debit your bank account.

Brian Ashton
11-01-2010, 8:07 AM
Using a bank account is no biggy really. Years ago when I had a pp account I set it up on a new account that if any money was deposited into it it was immediately withdrawn to an other account they didn't have access to.

Zach England
11-01-2010, 8:36 AM
I once had something like $1200 deducted from my checking account by Paypal. I logged into Ebay and discovered I had purchased a Mac Book and had it shipped to my San Francisco address, which was interesting because I neither have a San Francisco address nor do I want a Mac Book. I got the money credited to my account by my bank, but then I was getting phone calls about a BMW I was selling on Ebay. This was also interesting because I have never owned a BMW. E-mails to Paypal and Ebay were not returned and I have not found another way to contact them. I found a phone number for Paypal, but after being on hold for a long time I hung up. I had my money back, so I had stopped caring.