PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever turned dry bloodwood?

Gary Herrmann
10-31-2010, 5:09 PM
Wow. Talk about turning concrete. I finally got a chance to try out my easy rougher since my hss gouges were coming up dull after one pass.

I think the bowl is going to wind up being a bit more flat bottomed than I typically do, just because the wood is so stinkin hard.

I dulled all 4 edges of 4 radiused cutters just shaping the outside. The bowl will wind up about 7.5 x 3 or so.

I'll post pics when I finally finish this thing. Time to clean up and get ready to wander the neighborhood while the kids beg for candy.

David E Keller
10-31-2010, 8:16 PM
I've turned a little bloodwood but nothing of the size you mentioned. It is pretty hard stuff, but it's worth the effort IMO... That stuff absolutely glows when it's finished.

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2010, 9:41 PM
Yes I have turned a couple of blocks of it. It is hard. I am not sure which is harder bloodwood or dry black locust.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 9:56 PM
Most of the dry blood in my shop doesn't come from wood...

Dolan Brown
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Haven't tried a bowl from bloodwood but have for pens. I like it for pens. I think a bloodwood pen was the first one I sold.

Gary Herrmann
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Most of the dry blood in my shop doesn't come from wood...

Funny. I walked into the hallbath to talk to my wife and I guess some bloodwood dust fell off me and made spots on the floor. She freaked and started checking me for damage.