PDA

View Full Version : To arms!!!

Russell Tribby
10-31-2010, 2:08 PM
I had some time between jobs so my son and I worked on these for when he invades Narnia. The shield has a slight curve to it. I dressed it up a bit by adding a bead around the edge. The handle on the sword is attached with a pinned mortise so it's not going anywhere. The next step is to paint these and then he'll be good to go. These are replacing a pretty shabby shield and sword that I made in a pinch a while ago.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2010, 2:09 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to see the wooden armor to go with it.

Jim Rimmer
10-31-2010, 7:50 PM
That is nice work. How big is it (and how big is your son?)?

Russell Tribby
10-31-2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks. The shield and the sword are approx. 30" in length. He'll get a work out carrying the shield around for sure. My son is 9 and we've got another that's only 4, so when the older one out grows these they can get passed down.

Jim Becker
10-31-2010, 9:36 PM
Very kewel project!

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 7:35 PM
Very nice! Reminds me of when my dad made me a sword and shield when I was in 4th grade for a medieval costume dinner we had at school. He was a metal worker so it was all metal. I cherished it and have it packed away somewhere to this day. I expect your son will feel the same.

Bryan Wuest
11-03-2010, 2:07 AM
Russell,
Great job with the sword and especially the curve on the shield.

My Son wanted a sword too, not so he could invade Narnia but so he could be Link from the Zelda video games. I made it out of an old sycamore window sash I found in my barn and turned the handle on my lathe. If any of you don't know Link, he has to leap and thrust his sword into a rock to change back in time or something like that. Anyway, my Son leaped and thrusted one too many times. The hand snapped where it meets the blade. I don't know how to upload a picture but if you click on my user name, there's a picture of the sword on my home page. I'm in Korea right now but I'll be back in San Antonio permanently in two weeks so I can make him a new one.