PDA

View Full Version : Question about 23 gauge pin nailers

Louis Brandt
10-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Hello,

I've never used a pin nailer, but I do have an 18 gauge brad nailer and a 16 gauge finish nailer. Home Depot is selling the Porter-Cable PN100 23 gauge pin nailer for $69, and I'm interested in it, but I know that it will only shoot a pin up to 1 inch long.

A few pin nailers (Hitachi for examle) will shoot longer pins, so my question is, have any of you found that there are instances where you need a pin nail (not a brad) longer than 1 inch, and if so, what did you need it for?

Thanks,
Louis

johnny means
10-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't usually use material that is less than 3/4" thick and don't feel that 1/4" of nail is enough holding power in most instances. So, I stock up to 1 3/4inch pins and use them all regularly.

I find that I like to use pins to hold things together while I get my clamps in place. Meaning that often I'm pinning larger structural components and not just the small molding and trim pieces you might expect.

I have an employee who bought a gun that only shoots 1" pins and he considers it next to useless.

Neil Brooks
10-31-2010, 12:12 PM
I have an employee who bought a gun that only shoots 1" pins and he considers it next to useless.

When I finally realized that my Craftsman 18ga nailer only took up to 1-1/4", I ordered a second one, from Harbor Freight, that shoots up to 2".

Agreed: I work with a fair bit of 3/4" stock, and -- like you -- want a bigger bite, to secure the pieces.

Louis Brandt
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't usually use material that is less than 3/4" thick and don't feel that 1/4" of nail is enough holding power in most instances. So, I stock up to 1 3/4inch pins and use them all regularly.

If you don't mind my asking, what brand pin nailer do you have? I didn't know that any pin nailer shot pins up to 1 3/4 inch. I'm talking about 23 gauge pins, not 18 gauge brads.

Louis

michael craigdallie
10-31-2010, 12:53 PM
i have a cadex 23 guage pin nailer that will take up to two inch pins.

michael

Jonathan Spool
10-31-2010, 1:02 PM
My Grex P650 will sink 2" pins into oak with no difficulties. With long pins you should remain aware that they can sometimes get deflected out the side, so keep the fingers clear! This is why 23g pins are better than 18g brads. You don't get as much blood on the project.

Steve Clardy
10-31-2010, 1:15 PM
Never had a need for a pin longer than 1" with my PC pin nailer. :confused:

I go with 18ga if I need something longer

Kent A Bathurst
10-31-2010, 2:00 PM
Never had a need for a pin longer than 1" with my PC pin nailer. :confused:

I go with 18ga if I need something longer

Ditto.

Why would I want to/need to fire a 23g 2" pin? I'm not arguing, its a legitimate inquiry.

I use it for A+C 1/4" x 1/4" glazing strips - "delicate" stuff like that - and its tough enough with 5/8" pins to keep them from running wild in QSWO.

johnny means
10-31-2010, 2:41 PM
I have a GREX, available at Woodcraft.

Steve Griffin
10-31-2010, 2:49 PM
My Max shoots 1 3/8" pins, and that is just enough for 3/4" thick trim. Anytime you are nailing 3/4" thick stock, you are most certainly using glue, so the pin only needs to keep the piece from falling on the floor while the glue drys.

If not using glue, 18Gauge is the absolute smallest nailer I ever use, and that is only if the piece will not be under any stress.

-Steve

johnny means
10-31-2010, 2:51 PM
Ditto.

Why would I want to/need to fire a 23g 2" pin? I'm not arguing, its a legitimate inquiry.

Example: Gluing a 1.5" edge onto a table top. I really just want to glue and clamp it, but I can't hold the 10' board(conference table) up while I get clamps in place. A couple of pins will hold it in place while I get it all clamped up and not leave holes that need filling.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-31-2010, 6:01 PM
Example: Gluing a 1.5" edge onto a table top. I really just want to glue and clamp it, but I can't hold the 10' board(conference table) up while I get clamps in place. A couple of pins will hold it in place while I get it all clamped up and not leave holes that need filling.

Why not use a bisciut joiner? Leaves no nail marks and adds significant strength. Just curious. I personally cannot see a need for a 2" pin either. I can see a need for no nail holes. I was just at HD and was thinking about picking up the PC.

Gordon Eyre
10-31-2010, 9:39 PM
It seems to me that some in this thread are confusing pin gun with a nail gun. If you already have two nail/brad guns then a small pin gun would be great. If you watch Norm Abrams he uses a small pin gun all the time and a 1" pin or smaller is about right.

Jim Becker
10-31-2010, 9:46 PM
The one operation that I do use longer 23 gage pins for is for "field installation" of face frames on cabinets after the carcasses have been placed, either on the wall or on the deck. The pins serve for what clamps would do in the shop...I shoot them in at a slight angle and vary the direction for each. That said, the majority of pins I shoot are 1/2" in length and that's for holding 1/4" trim material to the custom tack trunks I build, again while depending on glue for actual holding power. I also use pins quite a bit for temporary jigs.

Leo Graywacz
10-31-2010, 9:49 PM
Normally you will be using a 23 ga to attach moldings. And usually 1" is enough. I really would rather have one that would shoot 1 3/4" pins. Mostly for shooting moldings into drywall. you need an extra 1/2" for the sheetrock. You still need to use some sort of adhesive if you are using pins. I find my senco 1" (max) invaluable in my shop. I wish it shot longer though.

Callan Campbell
10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
It shoots max lengths of 1 3/8". Having used my 23ga pin nailer alot this year, I will still get one that hits the 2"mark. More holding depth with thicker stock, and when nailing baseboard trim into older home plaster covered walls, you find a mixed depth/thickness of plaster in lots of places, so if you want to hit a stud and not just lath, having that extra length means an easier time of doing so. I got rid of my 18ga short nailer and bought a longer depth P-C 18ga nailer for the same reason. :cool:

Louis Brandt
10-31-2010, 10:51 PM
It shoots max lengths of 1 3/8". Having used my 23ga pin nailer alot this year, I will still get one that hits the 2"mark. More holding depth with thicker stock, and when nailing baseboard trim into older home plaster covered walls, you find a mixed depth/thickness of plaster in lots of places, so if you want to hit a stud and not just lath, having that extra length means an easier time of doing so. I got rid of my 18ga short nailer and bought a longer depth P-C 18ga nailer for the same reason. :cool:

I'm not doubting what you say, and you probably know a lot more about it than I do, but are you saying that you use a pin nailer to install baseboard? I wouldn't think that a 23 gauge pin (no matter how long) would be adequate to hold baseboard against wall studs. But I'm no expert.

Rich Engelhardt
11-01-2010, 6:20 AM
Home Depot is selling the Porter-Cable PN100 23 gauge pin nailer for $69
Excellent price on a very good 23 ga. pin nailer.
I paid $100.00 for that same gun a year ago.

Callan Campbell
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not doubting what you say, and you probably know a lot more about it than I do, but are you saying that you use a pin nailer to install baseboard? I wouldn't think that a 23 gauge pin (no matter how long) would be adequate to hold baseboard against wall studs. But I'm no expert. Yes, in combination with a larger nailer. You can shoot just a few pins to hold things in place, and if something goes wrong or you need to pull trim back off, it's easier to do this while you haven't fully nailed it with the larger nailers like a 18 ga or 15ga finish nailer. Once you're happy, finish up with the larger nailers.
I'll have to say that I want to see in person, the people who are using 23ga pin nailers for crown moulding. That's harder for me to understand than moulding that's basically laying on the floor, against a wall, and not up in the air with a pin that doesn't have a real head on it to prevent trim from moving off of it easily. :confused:
I've also used pin nails for 3/4 round shoe all by themselves. No visible nail hole, no rust to bleed through if you're shooting stainless steel pins or nails. And, for the most part, no splitting of the wood due to the smaller diameter fastener. :cool:

Erik Christensen
11-01-2010, 3:38 PM
are what you want for hanging trim esp crown molding - i have it all over my house with nothing but 23 gauge pins - I don't worry about hitting a stud though - i just use the pin to hold the molding in place. the caulk over the seam between Sheetrock & molding holds all in place. I had to remove some when we re-did a door opening and the caulk will pull off the wall texture if you don't use a utility knife before hand - I have never had molding come loose when held with 23 ga pins & caulk

Jim Becker
11-01-2010, 9:51 PM
Callen, shooting the pins in at an angle...and each one at a different angle...will give a little more "clamping holding power" to the headless pins. But for heavy overhead work, I'd opt to prop it up, too. The pins let you futz with it to get a perfect position, but the props keep it from beaning you in the noggin if the pins let go before you get your 15 and 16 gage nailers into the fray.

Callan Campbell
11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
are what you want for hanging trim esp crown molding - i have it all over my house with nothing but 23 gauge pins - I don't worry about hitting a stud though - i just use the pin to hold the molding in place. the caulk over the seam between Sheetrock & molding holds all in place. I had to remove some when we re-did a door opening and the caulk will pull off the wall texture if you don't use a utility knife before hand - I have never had molding come loose when held with 23 ga pins & caulk What caulk are you using, a polyurethane or an acrylic blend? Or construction adhesive? I'd guess I'd have to try it to believe it, but it makes sense. So, NO prop rod like Fast Cap, just the 23ga pins? Wow.

Rick Moyer
11-22-2010, 6:10 PM
is this still at $69 at HD? I see Grizzly has it for Black Friday at $75. either way I'd have to drive about 25 miles.

James Baker SD
11-22-2010, 6:23 PM
my pin nailer will shoot up to 1.5" or 2" pins, but I almost never use those long ones. Half of the long ones manage to find a path between the grain and break thru the surface. Shorter pins don't do that.

Rick Fisher
11-23-2010, 2:58 AM
I have the Porter Cable 1" Pin Nailer and use it a lot more than the 18ga. There are times I wish it would hold 1-1/4" .. like holding thicker drawer fronts on.

I wanted to add, I have a bunch of the cheap Chinese pin's and find the 1" or 7/8" bend much more than the brand named pins.. I have used Paslode and find them more reliable for staying straight.

Craig Carpenter
11-23-2010, 6:20 AM
I trim homes for a living and have a wide array of nail/brad/pin guns. I own the Porter Cable 23 gauge you're looking at and it's a great gun. I had a Senco that refused to set the pin unless you were dead on perpendicular to the work surface.

Each gun I own has it's specific task. Never would I depend on a 23 gauge to support Crown. Never have I needed a pin over 1" when using my 23 gauge. They are excellent for holding very small pieces, i.e., base or crown returns or the pieces cut while wrapping around a bull nose corner. I utilize my 23 gauge to do nothing more than hold the very small pieces together while the glue sets. Using an 18 gauge brad can often cause a split in the molding causing an extra trip to the saw. To me, the 23 gauge pin is all important for any outside corner glue up when trimming a home. It's also a great gun to use for any thin scribe molding.

For your purpose, I'd use a couple of 1 1/4" brads in the center of the work allowing that extra hand for holding it close to position while you apply the clamps. Just make sure you have it close to it's final spot before you tack it in.

23 gauge pins are very fine and tend to wear their driving pin out faster than a regular nailer will. The longer pin you use, the faster your driving pin will wear down.

I suppose if you were fastening pre-finished wood, a longer 23 gauge through drywall might help, but the strength of the wood to wall would be almost non existent. If you did this on a real job, the builder would be calling you back within his warranty period for you to use some real nails. (unless construction adhesive was used to boot)

The Porter Cable gun for $69 is a bargain for a new gun. I might run down and buy one for a spare.

frank shic
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
the only reason i bought a grex pinner was for holding doors together while the glue sets. it sure does free up the clamps!

Don Morris
11-23-2010, 3:41 PM
95% of the time my Grex P635 is shooting only 3/4" pins. But that rare once in a while it's comforting to have because it's capable of much longer. Sort of: it's better to have and not need, than to not have and wish you did.

Jay Allen
11-23-2010, 6:43 PM
I have a Senco as well, bought in the kit with the mini compressor several years ago. It has served me very well. I have never seen the need for longer than the 1" pins.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-23-2010, 7:49 PM
is this still at $69 at HD? I see Grizzly has it for Black Friday at $75. either way I'd have to drive about 25 miles.

69 bucks is the "new low price", so if it's in stock, it's that price. We don't have any in stock at the 2 stores close to me. I bought the last one. It may be even cheaper Black Friday. Or you can wait until a 10% off everything, and get ot for 62 bucks. I may get a spare at that price.

It's the first pinner I've bought/operated/used, so I really have nothing to compare it to. Seems pretty good to me. At 70 bucks, I think it's a deal. IMO pinners are not bradders, so any heavy holding tasks will go to the bradder.

Clisby Clark
11-23-2010, 9:38 PM
the one inch limit wasn't what made me sell it. The problem I had was mine didn't set the pins quite below the surface consistently enough. If you have to use even the smallest nailset, you may as well use your 18 gauge gun. I bought a 1 3/16 inch Cadex which sets the pins way better. I still haven't used a pin longer than an inch.

Leo Graywacz
11-23-2010, 9:42 PM
the one inch limit wasn't what made me sell it. The problem I had was mine didn't set the pins quite below the surface consistently enough. If you have to use even the smallest nailset, you may as well use your 18 gauge gun. I bought a 1 3/16 inch Cadex which sets the pins way better. I still haven't used a pin longer than an inch.

I have the Senco and it set the pin flush with the surface, you could see it. Took about 30 seconds to fix that, ground the tip of the gun just a bit and now it works perfect.

I'd like to get one that has 1 3/4" capacity.:cool: