PDA

View Full Version : rockwell 46201

peter gern
10-31-2010, 9:47 AM
Hello everyone, I need some help\advice. I am a woodworker not a turner and have never used a lathe in my life. I have moved to a bigger shop and can now add a lathe. In my area a Rockwell 46201 1 hp 38" lathe has come up for sale at $550. It looks brand new and apparently has only seen very light use. Is this a good buy for me? Similar in look at least are the general 160-260 lathes but they seem to go at 3-4 times the price. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Peter

Bill Buchanan IN
10-31-2010, 9:58 AM
If bearings are good and runs on 110, I would definately check out one in Wichita listed @ 550 with many parts n pieces included in, as well as one listed in Kansas City listed @ 450. The older school model lathes are solid and a good lathe to get started with. They may require some renovation, but even so, not a bad deal.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 1:52 PM
Peter - Welcome to the Creek! Finding a lathe is one thing - finding a lathe to fit your needs is really what you want to look for. So, depending on what it is you would like to turn - this may or may not be the best fit.

As far as price - only you can tell if that is a good price for your area. A quick check on the web should help figure that out.

peter gern
10-31-2010, 5:37 PM
I suppose all I want to do is turn legs for tables and to make my own drawer pulls.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 5:57 PM
Peter - I highly recommend that you talk with John Keeton as he was a serious flatworker and picked up a lathe for the very same reasons that you list. Don't know if you are aware of it or not - but woodturning is called a vortex because it just sort of sucks you in because it is way TOO much fun! Meaning, the lathe you get now may not be what you want in just a couple of months.

Like I said - contact John. See what he can suggest for you!

Peter Hay in Aus
10-31-2010, 6:13 PM
Steve,

I admit to a wry smile whenever VORTEX is mentioned since here it is the name of higher octane Caltex Petrol. Using said Vortex in my Daewoo Leganza and it loves the stuff, performance quite outstanding for my 9 yr old Sedan it has a GM 2.2 ltr Aussie made world motor. On the other hand my 30 yr old Mercedes runs just as well on regular fuel all 1.7 ton of it the car that is.

So we have the horrible Vortex and the happy one, turning for me is all about fun so I say it is the happy one.

Regards Peter.

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 6:22 PM
Peter - my first thought was - WOW! He has a 30 year old Mercedes! That's cool! I continued to read on and find that no matter the name of the obsession - we both enjoy turning because it is fun!

Always great to hear from you Peter!

Peter Hay in Aus
10-31-2010, 9:56 PM
Steve,(forgive me Peter intruding on your post)

I found the Mercedes in Melbourne cheap flight 400 miles drove the car home on a permit pics on arrival home C/w insects. Grateful for the internet the car has the original floor mats etc.

Regards Peter.

peter gern
11-01-2010, 9:08 AM
Thanks Steve, but I make my living doing custom cabinetry and furniture. I can't see myself getting sucked into the vortex however enticing it may be. I have seen many very basic beaver/rockwell lathes (no stand .5 hp etc) for between $100 and $350. I have always regretted buying tools that are too basic. I had been looking for a general because I already have a general drill press, planer, and jointer and have found them to be excellent tools even if they are 30 years old! But for my very basic (I think) needs I did not want to spend $1500-$2500. The rockwell looks like a professional quality tool and the price seemed reasonable. I have been reading up on lathes and am a little confused. There seem to be different types of drives, 1 of which is to be avoided, morse tapers, horsepower and variable speed. My hope was someone would reply with a That's a piece of junk and no parts available or I own one and they are great. I think I will wait for something else to come up for sale.