PDA

View Full Version : Who do you like out of the SEC?

Paul McGaha
10-31-2010, 9:23 AM
Who do you like out of the SEC this year?

I'm an LSU fan but I think Auburn looks really good. Ran the ball for over 400 yards in route to beating us.

Jim McFarland
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Alabama is my pick as SEC champ.

Cam Newton is an incredible athlete but I don't think Auburn can beat Alabama on the road so...unless LSU beats 'Bama -- I think 'Bama will pass undefeated Boise & TCU/Utah and end up in the BCS championship game. This will cause lots of outrage against the BCS system and maybe get us another step closer to a playoff (even a +1 game would be an improvement).

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2010, 1:12 PM
I love college football.

I would pay to see Auburn-Alabama play later this year.

It's tough. On any given Saturday, any college team can beat another because emotions play such a large part in the games at that level.

That game is always special because of the rivalry. This year will be even better.

Tough call.

Doug Mason
10-31-2010, 1:14 PM
And I thought you were talking about the Securities Exchange Comm!!!:)

Gary Hodgin
10-31-2010, 1:58 PM
Who do I like? UT Vols
Who do I think will win the SEC championship? Unfortunately Alabama. Would like to see anybody but Alabama, but think they're the best team.

Van Huskey
11-02-2010, 6:39 PM
I love college football.

I would pay to see Auburn-Alabama play later this year.

That may well be the game of the regular season...

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 9:41 AM
I saw someone posted that they were hoping circumstance would push us closer to having playoffs. I'd like to offer the opposite opinion. I'd like to junk the BCS and put major college football back to the way it used to be. In the present system, two, count'em TWO teams get to contend for the national championship. Assuming (and I think it's a safe assumption) Boisie and TCU will not finish higher than number three. That team could blow out a big conference power house team in a bowl game and have ZERO chance of moving up to the top spot after the dust settles. I think having the Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta bowl (and the occasional other bowl) all hosting teams that are in the mix and all playing on New Years day is exciting. All the discussion starting after the last game about who did what and who deserves what. The final announcement(s), split decisions (different national Champions in different pools) and a whole off season of arguing that your team got the short end, conspiracy theories, the if team x had to play a conference y schedule they would never have been in the top 10 much less a national champion arguments, that's what college football used to be all about. And it was fun!. Now all bowl games are pretty much meaningless and we have to wait another week for two consensus driven teams to play for all the marbles. I remember when the Sugar bowl was always a big deal. I remember dreaming that one day I'd be able to buy tickets and drive to N.O. for the big game. Now it's almost always the SEC's also ran team playing some team that is getting a bone tossed to it because they couldn't be taken seriously. Occasionally that works out nice for the other team (Utah comes to mind) but other times it's a boring mess (Hawaii come to mind).

If you want playoffs and absolutes, get rid of all the limits imposed on teams and we can just have Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame and some wildcard play a tournament at the end of every year. How boring would that be? Me, I'd like it to be wild, wooly, and knee deep in uncertainty up to and beyond the last play of the last game.

Kent A Bathurst
11-03-2010, 11:52 AM
.......I would pay to see Auburn-Alabama play later this year.........

I'm not a "true fan" of any SEC team [too many years in Big Ten-Eleven-Twelve country], but I do enjoy watching [most of] the games. So, I don't really have a dog in the fight, but:

1. You cannot out-coach Nick Saban. You can beat his teams, but not him.
2. Auburn is pretty amazing this year, and a lot of it is Newton, but still.....whoooa, buddy.
3. The Gamecocks can't get in the BCS title game [ Kentucky?? What was THAT all about??] but Tide and War Eagles better be looking over their shoulders at Steve Superior as they think about Atlanta on Dec 4.

Don't know that it will happen, but Alabama is certainly capable of beating Auburn, and then if Stevie beats the Tide for the 2d time this season in Atlanta, the BCS will be in turmoil. Same thing if Auburn beats 'Bama, and SC gets revenge in the title game. Either way, Auburn is tarnished, and Alabama is toast.

If either of these scenarios happen, hopefully that puts Ken F's Broncos in the Big Game. [Ken - now that my Spartans imploded, I'm pulling for youse guys :D].

This could be really interesting. As usual, the road to the national "championship" goes through the SEC, one way or another.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry Kent....I am not a Broncos fan.........I just find it interesting that small teams like the BSU Broncos can have an excellent small college football program....win games.....win bowl games against some pretty stong hailed recognized teams....not just once but multiple times.....and they can't get ranked...or play for the championship....because of their size and the cry "who do they play"...in reality it's all about MONEY....not performance.....MONEY. You can't play the big boys because you can not seat enough fans and bring in the cash..... Just money.

Let me give you an example of a small college...gets no headlines.....there are 4 big time recongnized current NFL players/coaches......Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL.....

Check out their alumni........Current coach of the Vikings Brad Childress.......Cowboys QB Tony Romo........a little known coach Sean Payton, NO.......Mike Shanahan...current coach of Washington....

Who is Eastern Illinois University?

Garrett Ellis
11-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry Kent....I am not a Broncos fan.........I just find it interesting that small teams like the BSU Broncos can have an excellent small college football program....win games.....win bowl games against some pretty stong hailed recognized teams....not just once but multiple times.....and they can't get ranked...or play for the championship....because of their size and the cry "who do they play"...in reality it's all about MONEY....not performance.....MONEY. You can't play the big boys because you can not seat enough fans and bring in the cash..... Just money.

Let me give you an example of a small college...gets no headlines.....there are 4 big time recongnized current NFL players/coaches......Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL.....

Check out their alumni........Current coach of the Vikings Brad Childress.......Cowboys QB Tony Romo........a little known coach Sean Payton, NO.......Mike Shanahan...current coach of Washington....

Who is Eastern Illinois University?

3 of those 4 are in the dog house HA!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Better the dog house than the hog house....that's what I always say.....

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Better the dog house than the hog house....that's what I always say.....

Speaking of Hogs, what if Boise had to play the Hogs, Rebels, Commodores, Wildcats, and Bulldogs (either one) as part of their regular season? A good team with a good coach can usually bring it for one game if they have long enough to prepare (Gamecocks beating the Tide for example), but could Boise beat those five teams in one season? And those are not the cream of the crop in the SEC. Boise maybe the best team in the universe, but it'll take more than a close game with what turned out to be a disappointing Va Tech team to make me believe it. They need some rich alumni to build them a huge stadium, figure out a way to sell it out, then shop for a big conference if they want serious consideration.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2010, 1:13 PM
Jerome,

The SEC having arguably the best, strongest average football conference doesn't mean the conference necessarily has the best team in the nation within it's membership. It just means it's an overall strong conference.

I am not a Boise State fan. I use them as an example of the ridiculous fault within the current and previous rankings systems.

I don't believe even a national playoff system would answer the question.

The thing that makes me a college football fan is this.....On any given Saturday any college team can beat another college team because of the huge effect emotions play on the players at this level. One mistake on the part of any player can cause an emotional swing that reverses the outcome of the game. That is what I enjoy. You can't afford to leave your seat to fill your coffee cup.

I actually don't have a favorite team.

Jerome Hanby
11-03-2010, 1:57 PM
Jerome,

The SEC having arguably the best, strongest average football conference doesn't mean the conference necessarily has the best team in the nation within it's membership. It just means it's an overall strong conference.

I am not a Boise State fan. I use them as an example of the ridiculous fault within the current and previous rankings systems.

That's a little funny, I am a Boise fan. I love the blue field and the fact that are making everyone talk about them. And any team that sticks it to Oklahoma is okay in my book. But they can't play their schedule and get serious consideration. And with their current stadium situation they aren't going to get any big schools to schedule one and one with them. Trying to play "name brand" schools always being the visiting team is a good way to get a little experience but is a poor plan for getting any wins (look at Troy for example). I think they just have to keep doing what they are doing, land some kids in the NFL making big money, and hope some of that comes back home so they can step up their facilities.

I do have a favorite team and they are making a little road trip to pick up some crayfish this weekend. I think they might sneek in a little football too;)

And of course the national champion isn't automatically a member of the SEC. But 8 out of the last 18 make for pretty good odds ...

Kent A Bathurst
11-03-2010, 2:47 PM
Sorry Kent....I am not a Broncos fan.........

I know. You keep on saying that, and I'll keep on ignoring it. :D :D

Al Wasser
11-03-2010, 3:03 PM
Sorry but I don't follow or watch any semi-pro football. The whole system is broken!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2010, 3:16 PM
Jerome,

Playing that kind of schedule is no guarantee of quality.

Because at the end of a football game, the final score against the team you were just playing counts and it immediately becomes history and it no longer matters.

Look at the number #1 BCS ranked teams this year that have been knocked out of the ranking by teams that were "Who do they play?" teams before the game and afterwords the FORMERLY #1 ranked team was asking "Who was driving that truck?".

Playing a tough schedule is no guarantee that a team is capable of beating another team.....BSU beating Oklahoma in a bowl game...or beating TCU in a bowl game is a good example. Who does TCU or Oklahoma play or Boise State play? It didn't' matter before or after those individual bowl games.

And that is why I like college football. It's unpredictable because of the effect of emotions on the players.

You can make some generalizations but absolutely no guarantees.