PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail jig base ideas

Doug Swanson
10-31-2010, 8:59 AM
I have just unpacked a new PC 4212 dovetail jig (I've had it for 3 months but haven't had time to even open the box!). I was looking for ideas on how other people had mounted theirs. Looking for storage ideas or any other tips you may have with this jig. I thought at one time one of the ww'ing mags had done an article on this?

Thanks!
Doug

Bill Huber
10-31-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't have anything really neat to tell you, I just set mine on the edge of the bench and clamp it down with two quick clamps, it works find and I have never needed anything more.

I guess you could make a fancy box to mount it to, put drawers in it to hold all the parts and bits I use just for that tool but I have a small shop and everything I add I have to find a place to keep it so I like to keep things really simple.

Jim McFarland
10-31-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a Leigh jig but similar principle. The Leigh version I have has protruding parts making it awkward to store. The jig also takes a lot of bench or cabinet space. I attached the jig to a box tall enough to store bits and extras and store the contraption on the wall above the garage door:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg62/zjem02/IMG_4971.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg62/zjem02/IMG_4931.jpg

steven sherman
10-31-2010, 7:32 PM
Shop notes has a base for the 4212. I built the base and find it useful. I would change the design to put slides on the drawer and make the drawer deeper.

Bruce Wrenn
10-31-2010, 8:34 PM
+ 1 on the ShopNotes base. I would most likely use 3/4 for end panels, and definitely add slides to the drawer. Because I have a Kreg micro jig, I would most likely just pocket screw it together, instead of all those dadoes.

Larry Fox
10-31-2010, 8:36 PM
When I had a 4212 I mounted a board to the bottom and laid it on the bench. I then drilled holes to line up with two dog holes in the bench (I use round dogs) and just used the round Veritas bench dogs down through the board and into the bench when I needed to use it. Easy to mount and unmount and it never moved even a little bit.

Don Dorn
10-31-2010, 9:40 PM
I don't have anything really neat to tell you, I just set mine on the edge of the bench and clamp it down with two quick clamps, it works find and I have never needed anything more.

I guess you could make a fancy box to mount it to, put drawers in it to hold all the parts and bits I use just for that tool but I have a small shop and everything I add I have to find a place to keep it so I like to keep things really simple.

Even though I don't use a dovetail jig (being primarily a neander), I fully agree with your assessment on keeping things as simple as possible. I too have a small shop and if there are too many things in it, anything out of place seems like a huge mess.