PDA

View Full Version : Side Rabbet plane

Don Dorn
10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
For the first time ever, I needed a side rabbet plane to tweak the inside of the molding on a chest lid. I may have been able to make my rabbet block work, (or chisel in a pinch) but it would have been difficult.

A friend has a Stanley 79 and loaned it to me. I was impressed and am now in the market but my research (so far) seems to indicate that they cannot be purchased new anymore. I checked you know where but I don't know enough about them to bid. I see that LV makes a combination side rabbet and was wondering if anyone has one, or tried one. It's an area of ignorance for me and would like to hear what those who have one regardless of brand have to say. Thank you.

Joel Goodman
10-30-2010, 11:48 PM
LN sells their version of the Stanley as a pair.

Jonathan McCullough
10-31-2010, 1:11 AM
Yes, I've got the Veritas version. It's modeled after the old Sargent plane of that type. I think it's more economical to have just the one plane for going both ways instead of the two planes. It's one of those planes where you don't need one until you need one, and then it's the only thing that'll get you out of your problem. The nose comes off to bullnose right down into the corners. The fit & finish are excellent. I was using it a few days ago to trim the parting bead on the windows of my house, so that the newly-painted sashes would close. It's also good for getting an airtight fit on dadoes.

Derek Cohen
10-31-2010, 9:21 AM
I reviewed this when it was launched ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritasSideRabbetPlane.html

Comparisons made ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/TheVeritasSideRabbetPlane_html_m1bdb799b.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Caspar Hauser
10-31-2010, 9:30 AM
If it appeals to you an alternative might be to make one or two.

http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/haywardhowtobk.pdf page 10.

I haven't tried any of these yet, though what with one thing and another it looks like I shall be.

Just a thought.

CH

Don Dorn
10-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Derek,

Thanks for the link - when I googled it, the review didn't come up and in most cases, your reviews are at the top of the hit list. Perhaps I didn't query it correctly. In any event, like your others, it's a great review and I thank you for such a detailed comparison.

Casper:

While I'm not up to making the side rabbet plane in your link, (mostly because I'm just not a good tool maker) it's full of great information and I've saved it for future reference. It's well worth a read and I thank you for sending it.

Note on the tool:

The side rabbet plane solved the moulding fit on the chest lid in short order, so I agree with the statement that said that it's not a common use tool, but when you need it, nothing else will do. SMC is a great forum with helpful and knowlegable people - a great "go to" source.

Andrew Gibson
10-31-2010, 11:03 AM
I picked up and old 79. a month or 2 ago. I have not had a need for it yet, but it is ready when I do need it.
if you buy an old one be prepared to spend a considerable amount of time re shaping the iron. I think I spent 2 hours getting the bevel and skew right on mine.

To my understanding the early 79 (type 1)does not have a fence, nor is there a place to attach one. The type 1 has a half circle cut out in the center. The type 2 is straight across like the one in Derek's photo. I have a type 1.

Don Dorn
11-01-2010, 3:16 PM
Thanks for all inputs - based on the last post, I decided to get the LV. They are quick - shipped the day after the order. Dereks comparison made me feel pretty comfortable.

Trevor Walsh
11-01-2010, 5:56 PM
I'm thinking about getting the LV, for sliding dovetails and the like. Judging by this thread it's a good price/performance tool?

Thanks,

Tri Hoang
11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I have the LV one and it's a life-saver when you need one. Otherwise, it's a special purpose tool and thus don't get used as much as my other tools at similar cost.

Jim Koepke
11-02-2010, 2:09 PM
I have the Stanley #98 & 99. They get used often. Before them I had the #79 and sold it not too long ago.

I find the depth stops very helpful. Some find them unnecessary.

I like having two separate tools. The LV style's depth stop has to be set each time the tool is flipped from one side to the other.

jtk

jamie shard
11-02-2010, 2:15 PM
I like having two separate tools.

Me too. I went with the Lie Nielsens, figuring I could resell them at near purchase price. But that's not going to happen, I use them pretty much whenever I'm doing dados or sliding dovetails. Folks that use table saw/electical routers probably wouldn't use them as much, but hand saw cuts seem to benefit from a little cleaning up/fixing. (At least my cuts do!)

Mike Henderson
11-02-2010, 5:25 PM
I have a Stanley 79 and the LN 98 and 99. Mostly, I use the 79.

Mike