PDA

View Full Version : Wadkin RQ jointer

Mark Hennebury
10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi all,
Anyone know anything about a Wadkin RQ jointer?

I just purchased an old jointer, it is a large old machine and quite a fine piece of work, problem is...I cant find any information on it anywhere. Its a Wadkin Model RQ, 16" two blade cutterhead, Cam adjustable tables, about 8' overall length weighs about 2500 Lbs, looks to be from the 50's

anyone with info or a catolog?
Regards,

Mark Hennebury

Logan William
10-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Check OWWM.com, it'll be your best bet for any information on old iron such as that. If have questions about the machine/restoration etc they have a forum as well

Frank Drew
10-31-2010, 9:55 AM
Mark,

Since Wadkin is an English manufacturer, try asking at :

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php

Lynn Floyd
11-01-2010, 8:44 AM
I have had 2 Wadkin molders, a GA model and a K23 that I'm currently using. They are good machines. The company went out of business a few years ago, but parts are still available for some machines. The jointer is probably a good machine. The main thing to watch for is evidence of having been in a fire, not likely but possible, and check the voltage. It could be 440v or even 550v if it was in Canada. You may find that 2 knives will not pass OSHA's inspection, if that is a concern, but I'm not sure about this. Does it have babbit bearings? These are fine if you keep them oiled, and they can be re-poured or replaced with modern bearings. Good luck.