PDA

View Full Version : Thread Direction

Rob Mathis
10-30-2010, 7:14 PM
I am looking at making a hand wheel for the outboard side of the Old Delta/Rockwell. I have been looking for a face plate to be able to attach some wood to to make the hand wheel. What threads are on the outboard side? Is that Right Hand Or Left Hand?

Wally Dickerman
10-30-2010, 7:23 PM
Left hand. The Delta I had years ago came with a 6 inch faceplate that was cross threaded so that it would fit both ends of the spindle.

Wally

Rob Mathis
10-30-2010, 9:50 PM
thank you!

Peter Lamb
10-31-2010, 6:38 AM
Check Packard catalogue or contact Delts parts. 6' faceplate add wood disc. Works very nicely.

Bob Vallaster
10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
I have done as Peter recommends and it works dandy.
Let me add a caution.
New and vintage 6" Delta faceplates in my inventory have reinforcing ribs on their backsides. Train yourself to use the handwheel with an open hand (palm applied to the outboard face or outside diameter. Don't close your thumb on the backside of the faceplate when it is spinning, lest you discover a thumb-jammer.

I made mine from a ~7.5"dia x 1.25" thick hardwood blank, turned inboard.
First operation: cut a recess the depth and diameter of the faceplate; while in this position, use a Forstner bit to bore the center PARTWAY through, for later use of knockout rod, vacuum access. True the face toward the tailstock and true/dome the OD. Note: sand the edge of the faceplate recess so it does not have a knife-edge. Finish the inside of the recess to taste; it will be hidden after the next operation.
Second operation: reverse the blank to sit in the recess. Recheck OD for true; refine if necessary. Use Forstner bit to finish the center hole started earlier. Sand and finish. Mount outboard.

BobV

ray hampton
10-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Left hand. The Delta I had years ago came with a 6 inch faceplate that was cross threaded so that it would fit both ends of the spindle.

Wally

Is it possible to cut right -hand threads and left-hand threads in the faceplate ?

Jerry Marcantel
10-31-2010, 1:23 PM
Is it possible to cut right -hand threads and left-hand threads in the faceplate ?[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't someone be able to cut left hand threads? All you would need is the proper tap, a lathe (metal) and a tap holder that would fit into the tail stock. A good machinist could possibly single point the threads if you couldn't find a tap.... ....... Jerry (in Tucson)