PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid EB44242 Sander w/wrong part in the box

Ruhi Arslan
10-30-2010, 4:21 PM
I couldn't get my act together in September to pick one up from HD during the month of September to use 20% rebate but because I "need"one right NOW, I went ahead to get one form HD. As I put it together to give it a try, I found out that the spindle knob has the wrong size thread in it. Measured the thread to verify. It is wrong.
Called the Ridgid CS. They are sending a replacement in 10 days. :cool: As a matter of fact, two of them just in case she said. Asked if they had different threads/sizes. She said no but couldn't explain why two of them would make it right if they are still the same wrong threads...

Some of you may have purchased it recently during the rebate. Anything similar? I was so hoping to make some dust but has to wait. I don't want to drive back to HD again (10 miles).

Neil Brooks
10-30-2010, 4:23 PM
Sorry you got one that wasn't right, on arrival.

What I CAN tell you is ... I've got the same machine, and -- like my other Ridgid tools -- think it gives a LOT of bang for the buck.

I think you'll use it more than you imagined. Worth buying some extra belts and cylinders, in different grits. IIRC, I went through Klingspor for those.

Bill Huber
10-30-2010, 4:30 PM
That is funny that they would make more then one of those type nuts in different sizes.
I do know it is a backward thread and that still screws me up every time I go to put it back on.

Rob Price
10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I thought mine was the wrong size too until I realized it's threaded backwards :eek:

I was dialing tech support when I figured it out.

John Coloccia
10-31-2010, 1:30 AM
If it's really the wrong thread, keep in mind that these things aren't boxed up with computers and machines. Some guy grabs all the parts and puts them in the box. It's his first day on the job and he picks from the wrong box. Personally, I'm surprised they get it right so often, but like everyone else make sure you're doing left-tightie, righty-loosey for this bolt.

Ruhi Arslan
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Left hand thread, for sure but it appears like knob is metric, shaft is not. If it was not left hand, I would retap it since the threads in the knob is brass.

First thing I noticed when I opened the box, all the loose parts were in little plastic bags but not the knob. It was loose in one of the huge recesses in the foam. We'll see what they are sending out.

Ruhi Arslan
11-05-2010, 9:11 PM
Knobs showed up in the mail. Two different ones for sure but only one of them fits. Problem solved. Same old story; it probably costs more to manufacturers to sort out after sale issues rather than making sure that it doesn't happen at the source wherever that might be. Maybe they've done the math and found out this is cheaper. Who cares about the consumer as long as they keep buying...