PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Monkey (Lidded Bowl-like Thing on a Stump)

David DeCristoforo
10-30-2010, 4:05 PM
It seems like I have spent most of my lathe time trying to make the thinnest pedestals I could manage. This time I wanted to see how "chunky" I could make one and still have it look graceful. This turning gave me fits from start to finish. The bowl went OK but I got the bottom a bit too thin. Wasn't too worried about it because I planned on having a platform for it to sit on and I figured that would reenforce the bottom. But I also made the tenon a bit fat. No problem, says I. I can just part it down a bit. But the first knife cut went right through the bottom. OOPS... Funnel time! But then I realized that (by pure dumb luck) the recess I had turned for the lid exactly fit the 4" ABS collar on the vacuum chuck I made recently. Of course, with that big hole in the bottom, there was no way to apply vacuum. But I do have a lot of duct tape and that held it together well enough for me to turn out the bottom cleanly. Then a small button with a tenon on it to insert into the hole and I was back in business.

Turning the stump went fine too. At least until I fumbled (again) and dropped it whereupon it broke in two. Arrg! So another weird thing chuck to hold the bottom (lots more tape) and some CA with the tailstock center to keep everything aligned and got it glued back together but it was pretty weak. At that point I figured "in for a penny, in for a pound" so I put a 1/16" drill bit in my chuck and punched a hole as far as I could into the stem. By some miracle, I managed to get the hole drilled without breaking either the stem or the bit! Then I epoxied up a bit of 1/16" brass rod and shoved it into the hole. That worked out too and strengthened the stem enough that I don't have to worry about it breaking again.

Do you want to hear about the finial? You do? OK. I figured you would be sick of reading about this by now! So, I had made a knob like thing because I had visualized this with a knob, not a finial. But it looked like crap. Just didn't fit the form. So I vacuum chucked the lid and turned away everything except the ball which was the only part I liked. Then I made a new finial. That sucked too. But the third one didn't turn out too bad so I glued it on and here it is:

165889 165890

The bowl is maple burl, the stump is dyed maple, the lid is walnut and the finial is rosewood with an ebony ball at the top. It's about 6" in diameter and 11" tall.

Ron Bontz
10-30-2010, 4:18 PM
Well I don't know much about form. But I certainly like it. If you don't, just send it to me and I'll banish it to my display case for punishment.:D

Roger Chandler
10-30-2010, 5:06 PM
Something a bit different for you David. I see elements of some of your finials in this pedestal, which I like.........ordinarily, the thickness of a pedestal this size would not be proportional to the body size you have here, but the features of this pedestal make this one work in my opinion.

What a save..........twice, no less! Are we seeing a one time thing here, or is the "Distinctively DeCristoforo" line up expanding?

This is really pretty ...........nice work and great save!

dan carter
10-30-2010, 5:10 PM
Alls well that ends well. Quite a story, sadly I can relate to some of it, albeit not all on the small project. heh heh Your work came out very well. I like it.

Richard Madden
10-30-2010, 5:28 PM
I'd say your patience and perserverence paid off. I like it alot. Yesterday, I managed to drop a 30 lb. blank on my left ring finger. Did I have patience and perserverence? Hell no. I cussed and scolded myself, took that heavy thing off the lathe and started on something smaller and lighter. You did good, Dave.

John Keeton
10-30-2010, 5:48 PM
David, I love reading your threads is- pure entertainment!!!:) I would nearly pay to be around when you have one of these "horror experiences!" I have been there, too - many times, but it doesn't seem so much fun when they happen to me!:mad:

All of this, by chance, design, or fate - actually came together quite well. I like the finial design, and the walnut in the lid looks to have some very nice figure. The maple burl looks dyed, as well, or is that just the light.

What is the finish - really popped the grain in the burl.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2010, 5:52 PM
Great looking piece David. I can see a lot of different designs in the finial which is a beauty. Base looks good to me.

David DeCristoforo
10-30-2010, 6:32 PM
"...it doesn't seem so much fun when they happen to me..."

I would imagine that could be considered an "axiom"! I always think I should have a little sign that pops up that says something like "Warning. Oh crap moment. Some swearing imminent."

Anyway, there is no dye involved here. Just some oil and wax. The color is "natural".

"...Are we seeing a one time thing here, or is the...line up expanding?..."

Could be. Never know. I'm actually working on a bowl right now. That's "something "different for me...

Scott Hackler
10-30-2010, 7:29 PM
Boy that Maple is awesome. I thought it was dyed as well!

I really like the cup and finial. The pedestal seems a bit heavy and although it works, I think the thickness takes my eyes away from the beautiful cup.

Great work!

Marc Himes
10-30-2010, 7:45 PM
Nice save. I can certainly relate to all the things we do to save a piece of wood in trouble. I often enjoy the process more than the piece, thinking of it a a learning experience. Your piece turned out very well. It sounds like you did all sorts of imaginative things to bring it through.
Well done.

Marc Himes

David DeCristoforo
10-30-2010, 8:58 PM
"I can...relate to all the things we do to save a piece of wood..."

Most of the time, for me it's just an unwillingness to write off whatever time I have invested. This has cost me more time on occasion, trying to save a "lost cause". But I have never been accused of not being stubborn enough!

"The pedestal seems a bit heavy..the thickness takes my eyes away from the...cup..."

Agreed. The pedestal caries almost as much visual weight as the "cup". But, at least to my eye, it does not overwhelm it. I might have gotten the answer I was looking for to the question of how much bulk I could allow the pedestal without having it become the dominant element. I think I'm right on the cusp here...

James Combs
10-30-2010, 9:04 PM
Another nice one David and a save to boot.

Don Alexander
10-30-2010, 11:17 PM
i LIKE it :):):):):)

Michael James
10-30-2010, 11:21 PM
NIce one and a great save! I like it and the break from the hollywood "thin is in" trend. That burl is awesome!

Curt Fuller
10-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, to be brutally honest, I don't think it's your best work. Although I think you achieved the things you were looking for, the short and stout 'stump', a beautiful finial, and the lidded bowl looks good too, I just don't think the different components go together very well. But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth. I think that mixing too many different kinds and colors of wood tends to make it look kind of like a patchwork quilt.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
"...I don't think it's your best work...look(s) kind of like a patchwork quilt..."

Geez, Curt... don't be so timid. Just say what you think...:D

Actually, I totally agree. Then again, I have always tried not to judge my own work. It drives me crazy! Once I get an idea, I can't sit still until I have seen it through. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Never can be sure until it's done.

Tom Sherman
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
David I am definitely a fan of your work, all of the elements in this piece shows your attention to detail and finesse. The fact that you managed to save the bowl and still bring it to a finish is again testament to the quality of your work. I like this piece and agree with Michael about a departure from the "thin is in" look. I can't speak for any one else, but being one who is not thin, it is good to something that has a heavier bottom.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 4:24 PM
"The fact that you managed to save the bowl and still bring it to a finish is again testament to the quality of your work..."

Well, it's more of a testament to my stubborn nature. I just don't know when to quit. That might be a good thing sometimes but then, sometimes not!

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2010, 6:50 PM
David - I have to admit that I never quite know what to expect when I check out your turnings. I know you are experimenting with boundaries and trying to determine what works and what doesn't... but in this case I believe Curt summed up my thoughts very well. A lot of different elements that just don't seem to jell together this time around.

Still, your wood combinations, your natural edge pieces, your sense of proportions and which elements to include in your finials and pedestals all show me that you really have a much better understanding of form than most of us.

I also see that most everything is tongue-in-cheek with you when it comes to turning but I honestly see that you have the talent to take this turning thing way past what we are seeing.

I am seriously looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Jim Burr
10-31-2010, 7:55 PM
Just starting in the realm of HF, I'm in no position to judge much of anything, but I think it's great. The box is amazing wood, the lid can't be beat and the base kinda like it could be there or be something else. I sincerely hope I get to your level in time.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 9:31 PM
"...I never quite know what to expect when I check out your turnings..."

Yes... I have the same problem. I never quite know what I going to end up with. But at least I'm having a good time. I try not to invest too much in the way of expectations in any particular piece of work. At this point, I've only been at this for less than a year so I've much to learn. I don't expect everyone to fall all over themselves every time I post some pics. I really appreciate constructive criticism.

"...most everything is tongue-in-cheek with you when it comes to turning..."

I'm afraid there are many things that are "tongue in cheek" with me. There are a few things in life I take seriously... my family (esp. my wife) for example. But I'm really committed to enjoying myself with this turning thing and making it fun.

Curt Fuller
10-31-2010, 10:22 PM
"...I don't think it's your best work...look(s) kind of like a patchwork quilt..."

Geez, Curt... don't be so timid. Just say what you think...:D

Ok, I've never been known for my diplomacy;). Maybe a quote from some Johnny Cash lyrics would have said it better.....

I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

Besides, my opinion and 6 bucks would probably still leave you a little short at the corner Starbucks.:D

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
"...I've never been known for my diplomacy..."

Yes... I have that problem too! But no worries, I appreciate your frankness. And FWIW, I would not be caught dead in a Starbucks. Macdonalds of coffee shops. Da woist. Yeech! How's that for "brutally honest"?

Baxter Smith
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
The color of the bowl is beautiful! The rest makes for an interesting story!:)

David DeCristoforo
11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
"The color of the bowl is beautiful..."

The color took me by surprise. All I did was apply a bit of oil and wax (more or less my "standard" finish) and the color just popped. This was cut from a fairly large piece of burl. I have several more pieces so I will see if this is typical of the whole burl or some anomaly.