PDA

View Full Version : Gloat. My new plane.

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2010, 4:02 PM
This is my new E. Baldwin plane. From what I know, they were in production up to 1850. It has a slightly skewed blade, a fence, brass depth stop, and a knicker blade. The mouth is a little worn, and the iron has seen better days (may be fixable though). I'm looking at a few more of them, so there may be some more gloating soon:cool:

Jamie Bacon
10-30-2010, 4:31 PM
Love the old woodies. And nothing like being able to buy old planes with your name on them. ;)

Jamie Bacon

Jim Belair
10-30-2010, 4:38 PM
Hi Mark

Nice plane. I had totally missed that it was by someone with the same surname.

I'm no expert but as these planes are generally used to remove a fair bit of material at a time, a slightly openned up mouth is of minor consequence.

Jim B

Gil Knowles
10-30-2010, 5:03 PM
Mark
That is one great looking old plane. You are fortunate, I have never seen anything like that up here.

Gil

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2010, 6:18 PM
I'll have to take a picture of the boxing and add it here. It is real craftmanship. This is my first old woodie. I've been looking around at them for a while and this one inspired me to pull the trigger. To know that they are mostly hand made is (to me anyway) pretty inspirational. A lot of my interest does come from the fact that I share a name with the maker. I'm not a collector by any means. But it's a neat feeling to build a connection to the past.

Bill Houghton
10-30-2010, 7:56 PM
I really dig the way the sides are scalloped. Probably completely unnecessary functionally, but very very graceful.

Mark Baldwin III
10-30-2010, 8:19 PM
Bill-The scallops are very cool. I spend a lot of time looking at pictures of molding planes and other old wooden planes. I haven't seen too many with that touch. I am far from an expert, as this is the first 19th century plane I've ever held in my hands.
I really like the feel of the plane though. The shape of the heel rests right into my hand. I may incorporate that into my next woodie, if there is a way to do it.
As promised, here is a picture of the boxing. Like I said earlier, it is real craftmanship.
BTW...if anyone can point me towards a good tool historian, I'd appreciate it. The one resource I have found seems to have a bad e-mail addy. I have some questions on this one. I saw something that hinted towards this plane being another 10 or maybe 20 years older than the 160ish years I already thought it was!
(if you can't tell, I'm giddy as a school boy over this)

Orlando Gonzalez
10-31-2010, 9:30 AM
It is a moving filletster (USA) or fillister (UK) plane. Makes rabbets on long grain and end grain (the reason for the knicker). Very similar to the Stanley #289 and LV Skewed Rabbet Planes.

The maker is either Enos Baldwin (father - b. 1783, d. 1829) or Elbridge Baldwin (son). Enos made planes in NY under the E. BALDWIN trademark from 1807-1829. In 1830 E. BALDWIN became A. E. BALDWIN (the names of Austin & Elbridge Baldwin. Austin was Elbridge's half-brother) who made planes under the A. E. BALDWIN trademark from 1830-1841. In 1842, after Austin left NY for CT, Elbridge Baldwin continued making planes using the same E. BALDWIN stamp mas his father.

The older planes, the one by Enos, may have the following imprint on the toe:

E. BALDWIN
ALBANY

or

E. BALDWIN
WARRANTED

The ones by Elbridge may just have this imprint:

E. BALDWIN

But this is not definitive.

The best source is Emil Pollack's, A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes, 4th edition, revised by Thomas L. Elliott. I got mine from Amazon.

HTH

Mark Baldwin III
10-31-2010, 9:39 AM
Thanks, Orlando. What had me wondering about when it was actually made was the period after Baldwin in the stamp. I couldn't find out if that meant it was earlier or later. You provided a little more information than I had been able to find before. I don't have that book, but I may have to get a copy of it at some point.